Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonger

Meteor over lower Michigan

Recommended Posts

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

Omg, that is incredible. How big was it? Where did it land?

Dunno but it must have been pretty large for it to shake the ground like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

That one in Russia a few years ago blew up as it hit the atmosphere and still could be felt at ground level.

That was actually the event I had in mind. I think it blew up in mid air and the generated shockwave shook the houses and actually broke a whole bunch of windows and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

That one in Russia a few years ago blew up as it hit the atmosphere and still could be felt at ground level.

Oh it was definitely felt, people all over the metro saying their houses shook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I've watched almost every video of that one. People thought it was a bomb. 

 

Yeah I worked 16hrs that day/night, and when I got home that had just happened.  Pretty incredible to watch.  

I love how at the 35 sec mark you can see it suddenly appear in the sky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slow poke said:

You actually felt the tower move Stebo? Wow!

100% any sort of earthquake you feel it here, that's why I thought it was a minor earthquake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I worked 16hrs that day/night, and when I got home that had just happened.  Pretty incredible to watch.  

I love how at the 35 sec mark you can see it suddenly appear in the sky.

Thank God Russians have an infatuation with dashcams. Pretty sure law requires them actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

That was actually the event I had in mind. I think it blew up in mid air and the generated shockwave shook the houses and actually broke a whole bunch of windows and stuff.

Yep.  That one was perhaps the most significant on Earth since the 1908 event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a loud boom and I was like what the heck? Everyone in my family group text started asking if everyone else heard a boom. Within minutes of course social media was all over it. Tons of security and dash can vids popping up. I had a lamp on because I was reading something so I didn't see the light. So mad because I rarelly have a lamp on right over my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all who got to see or feel the effects of the meteor this evening.  I wonder if any of the Russian meteor was found after if exploded in that incident.  I got to see a meteor (bolide) like this in Whitley county IN in the early 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Congrats to all who got to see or feel the effects of the meteor this evening.  I wonder if any of the Russian meteor was found after if exploded in that incident.  I got to see a meteor (bolide) like this in Whitley county IN in the early 90's.

Yeah, there was stuff found from the Russia meteor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught a glimpse of the flash when looking out my living room window this evening! Thought it was a transformer exploding at first, but then realized it wasn't after locals started calling the police thinking it was a "UFO" according to the Hillsdale Daily News lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I caught a glimpse of the flash when looking out my living room window this evening! Thought it was a transformer exploding at first, but then realized it wasn't after locals started calling the police thinking it was a "UFO" according to the Hillsdale Daily News lol. 

What possibly compels people to call the police about something like this is beyond me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indystorm said:

I wonder if any of the Russian meteor was found after if exploded in that incident.  

On my phone, but not only where fragments recovered,  but there is security footage of fragments impacting someone's backyard. It's the first time that a meteor impact had been caught on camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×