• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
North Balti Zen

2 hours ago, stormy said:

You're such a lucky fellow, why should you worry?  Be thankful you don't live in D.C. where that Democratic mayor (Muriel Bowser)  suffers from???  Threatening people with 90 days in jail and a $5000 fine for leaving their homes!!!!!! 

Back to the here and now, my yard is at 38% for March.  But, I am heartened this morning since my 48 hr. 5 model blended qpf has increased from .22 yesterday to .38 this morning. That is a step in the right direction to ameliorate my 2.35" deficit for March.  Oh, by the way for PSU, the county hasn't zoned those corn and soybean fields to mandate that they properly utilize available moisture!!!  Hilarious!!!!    image.thumb.png.fd46eaf24253fee2737a5db51c906a7a.png

At least this time the map agrees with your point. But a 30 day anomaly over such a relatively small geographic area isn’t that significant. If that kind of pattern were to continue another 60 days or so it would become a problem. My guess is it won’t. These things tend to naturally balance out. These short term anomalies aren’t even really anomalies.  The mean is just a bunch of anomalies averaged together.  You are missing the forest from the trees.  

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

At least this time the map agrees with your point. But a 30 day anomaly over such a relatively small geographic area isn’t that significant. If that kind of pattern were to continue another 60 days or so it would become a problem. My guess is it won’t. These things tend to naturally balance out. These short term anomalies aren’t even really anomalies.  The mean is just a bunch of anomalies averaged together.  You are missing the forest from the trees.  

OK, you are a smart person regarding climate cycles and weather patterns. I'll give you that much.

Will you please give it your best shot to explain why this hopefully short term anomaly has occurred?  The 00z ECMWF believes it will continue for at least the next 10 days though the precipitation hole does shift a little northeast.  For at least the past month, if the GFS, ECM or GEM sees a break coming, it always repeats as we get to 2 - 5 days before showtime.

Please give me an educated and reasonable explanation. image.thumb.png.b8774009d8591611f45c59e9819ba43d.png

On 3/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, stormy said:

OK, you are a smart person regarding climate cycles and weather patterns. I'll give you that much.

Will you please give it your best shot to explain why this hopefully short term anomaly has occurred?  The 00z ECMWF believes it will continue for at least the next 10 days though the precipitation hole does shift a little northeast.  For at least the past month, if the GFS, ECM or GEM sees a break coming, it always repeats as we get to 2 - 5 days before showtime.

Please give me an educated and reasonable explanation. image.thumb.png.b8774009d8591611f45c59e9819ba43d.png

PSU :  I am waiting patiently. Please don't disappoint.

9 hours ago, stormy said:

PSU :  I am waiting patiently. Please don't disappoint.

Split flow progressive pattern with lack of phasing (until OTS). Southern stream moisture stays south. Northern stream races by to the north. It happens. But it’s unlikely to persist forever. Especially as we move into Summer patterns when different factors become more critical to our precipitation prospects. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Split flow progressive pattern with lack of phasing (until OTS). Southern stream moisture stays south. Northern stream races by to the north. It happens. But it’s unlikely to persist forever. Especially as we move into Summer patterns when different factors become more critical to our precipitation prospects. 

Thank you! I 

I have been thinking too much zonal flow that puts us in the shadow  of the western mountains and too much repetitive high pressure surface and aloft over Virginia that simply  dries out systems trying to move in.

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Thank you! I 

I have been thinking too much zonal flow that puts us in the shadow  of the western mountains and too much repetitive high pressure surface and aloft over Virginia that simply  dries out systems trying to move in.

You are describing the micro effects of the macro pattern I discussed. 

9 hours ago, Round Hill WX said:

You’re still odd. 

I'm odd in the respect of being concerned about a recurring pattern that has resulted in less than 50% rainfall for a large portion of my immediate region during the past month.

I'm odd in the respect that I am very sensitive to the hardship that will be created for many people engaged in agricultural pursuits if this pattern repeats and persists during April and May.

Reasonable people would have the attitude, hey, I hope you folks down in the central valley do better with rainfall during April than you did during March. Unfortunately, you don't seem to be in that reasonable category.

I agree with PSU in believing that we will see a change during the next month or two. If we don't, things will be bad for a lot of people.

Have A good day.

14 hours ago, Weather Will said:

EURO WB 10 day precip.

BDD2379F-4073-4CC8-AAD4-72990FE0201D.png

I'm sorry Will but as I explained last week, 10 day precip. maps almost always dry up recently. To dry from 2.56 to .85 is the same old story, but that will change.

image.thumb.png.3c03edf71c90e61b1f62fe35f96f2b01.png

17 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS still signaling a storm next week.  

70D32FBD-88FF-4D76-8888-9B550732EC04.png

C16CBF10-2842-493C-977E-0BA05F04D48D.png

I'll take about 8 - 12 inches of wet snow. Wonderful moisture additive.     49 years ago today, my area received 8 - 10 inches of snow.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 8:18 AM, stormy said:

I have received .39" of much needed rain during the past 24 hours.

A 6 am 3 model blend (GFS/ECM/GEM) gives Augusta County 1.68 rain late Sunday through Monday. If this verifies, it would be the greatest event rainfall since January 25.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

A few areas of 'abnormally dry' have developed in the region. None in VA btw. This will likely become more expansive over the next week.

20200609_Northeast_none.jpg

Northern Virginia is quite dry.image.thumb.png.0d21a496fde90616b7efa334cab332d9.png

image.png

The last 30 days have averaged less than 50% rainfall in the Hagerstown/Martinsburg area and Dale City/Fredericksburg region.  The next 10 days looks like well below normal rainfall on the 00z Euro. My earlier short-term deficits have shifted northeast.

image.png

• 10 months later...