Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Won't need to shut 'em down after all. Funny, I think SR had a net gain last storm, lol.

As well as i did here, lol, The county in Northern Maine certainly had a net gain, I guess no rain to the border yesterday and off the table this weekend.

NOUS41 KCAR 241539
PNSCAR
MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-030053--250339-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
National Weather Service Caribou ME
1039 AM EST WED JAN 24 2018

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE
REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT
WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...
   VAN BUREN             15.0   700 AM  1/24  COOP/RIVER
   4 ENE NEW SWEDEN      13.0   900 AM  1/24  ALSO 1.2 INCHES SLEET
   CARIBOU - WFO         11.7   700 AM  1/24  ALSO 1.2 INCHES SLEET
   LILLE                 10.8   700 AM  1/24  COOP/RIVER
   1 E MADAWASKA         10.3   600 AM  1/24  COCORAHS
   FORT KENT             10.0   700 AM  1/24  COOP/RIVER
   PRESQUE ISLE           9.4   700 AM  1/24  COCORAHS
   2 E OXBOW              6.0   700 AM  1/24  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SHERMAN                5.0   555 PM  1/23  SNOW AND SLEET

...HANCOCK COUNTY...
   6 SW MARIAVILLE        3.6   700 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   3 SW SULLIVAN          3.0   345 PM  1/23  SOCIAL MEDIA
   4 NW ELLSWORTH         3.0   759 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   EAST SURRY             2.6  1125 PM  1/23  COOP/RIVER
   2 NW FRANKLIN          2.5  1030 AM  1/24  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 E MARIAVILLE         2.5   800 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   5 S GOULDSBORO         2.0   635 AM  1/24  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 SE SOUTHWEST HARBO   1.5   802 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 W CRANBERRY ISLES    1.5   715 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   BROOKLIN               1.4   119 PM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER

...PENOBSCOT COUNTY...
   6 N MILLINOCKET        7.0   130 PM  1/23  1.0 INCH WAS SLEET
   MILLINOCKET WWTP       5.0   607 AM  1/24  CO-OP OBSERVER
   3 NE PLYMOUTH          3.8   600 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   CHARLESTON             3.0   430 PM  1/23  CHANGED TO FZRA BY 10AM
   HAMPDEN                3.0   245 PM  1/23  SOCIAL MEDIA
   CORINNA                2.5  1000 AM  1/23  CO-OP OBSERVER
   1 SW ORONO             2.5   117 PM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   4 ESE OLD TOWN         2.5   700 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   BANGOR                 2.1   700 AM  1/24  ASOS/AWOS

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...
   1 NNW ABBOT            4.0  1229 PM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   2 SSE KINGSBURY        4.0  1000 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SANGERVILLE            4.0   633 AM  1/24  SOCIAL MEDIA
   3 SE BLANCHARD         3.4   800 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   DOVER-FOXCROFT         3.0   700 AM  1/24  CO-OP OBSERVER
   EAST SANGERVILLE       3.0   700 AM  1/24  CO-OP OBSERVER

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
   1 S ST. JUSTE          8.0   519 PM  1/23  INCLUDES 1 INCH SLEET
   14 WNW COMSTOCK        6.0   518 PM  1/23  ST. ZACHARIE CBP

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
   1 SW CHARLOTTE         4.0   800 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   PRINCETON              4.0   633 AM  1/24  SOCIAL MEDIA
   TOPSFIELD              3.6   939 AM  1/24  COOP/RIVER
   EASTPORT               3.6   700 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   WOODLAND (BAILEYVILL   3.0   700 AM  1/23  CO-OP OBSERVER
   3 NE EDMUNDS           3.0   700 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   ROBBINSTON             2.9  1158 PM  1/23  CO-OP OBSERVER
   MILLBRIDGE             2.5   730 PM  1/23  SOCIAL MEDIA
   WHITING                2.0   700 AM  1/24  COOP/RIVER
   4 E EAST MACHIAS       2.0   507 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 SW EAST MACHIAS      2.0  1033 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 N COOPER             2.0   944 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WESLEY                 2.0   238 PM  1/23  SOCIAL MEDIA
   1 NNE COLUMBIA FALLS   1.8   928 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER
   5 ENE TRESCOTT         1.5   800 AM  1/23  COCORAHS
   JONESBORO              1.5   713 AM  1/23  TRAINED SPOTTER

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah ... as we alluded to earlier... not waiting to Feb 5th...  I don't think anyway.   I also think that D6 deal is a prime candidate for entry/morphology when that comes on shore in a day or two.  

Yeah the shortwave responsible for it doesn't come ashore BC/Washington State until about 12z Saturday. Then it races down into the plains and is off the east coast by Tuesday.

The way it forms though has that look of a lot of systems that have become more amped as we get closer. Decent western ridge coupled with the threat, so there's some assist there.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Won't need to shut 'em down after all. Funny, I think SR had a net gain last storm, lol.

We definitely had a net gain on the mountain and no change here in town.

1" of sleet that didn't melt then 3" of dense graupel/snow last night for Stowe. 

We actually opened more natural snow terrain than was open before "the cutter" lol.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The way it forms though has that look of a lot of systems that have become more amped as we get closer. Decent western ridge coupled with the threat, so there's some assist there.

That's funny you wrote that because I took a closer look at that and that's precisely how that struck me. 

I also, thought, 'here we go again' with a global based hydrostatic model (or what are the VV kinematics in the Euro these days...), developing a surface low oddly displaced way out half way to England with all the q-v forcing still hundreds of miles closer to the coast (Hr. 144) .  I think the inverted trough in that depiction is telling.. there' forcing back west and eventually... it may yet again come down to a non-hydrostatic modeling type to handle that ludicrously intense thermal packing that's likely to align near the g-string at that time. 

ECMWF 12z 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

As you can see there is a possibility of a decent snow event mainly for the New England area, not so much Mid-Atlantic as of right now (wait until later). With a cold pattern consistently forecast and a setup like this, i wouldn't be surprised if this comes to fruition and we see at least a couple decent snow events (mainly in between 6-12'' seems realistic at this point) But it could change as we get closer. As of now, light-moderate snow events seems most realistic (again, at this point)

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the shortwave responsible for it doesn't come ashore BC/Washington State until about 12z Saturday. Then it races down into the plains and is off the east coast by Tuesday.

Hopefully she comes in hot, and taps into the Gulf so she can spin up faster than she's moving...The progressive flow off the east coast is the greatest risk against this turning into something significant, in my view.

I'm not concerned with track as much as I am the dynamics --or lack thereof--she brings with her. Nevertheless, I def agree that the general setup favors better downstream UL ridging with time...so at least there's that...

13 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

ECMWF 12z 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

As you can see there is a possibility of a decent snow event mainly for the New England area, not so much Mid-Atlantic as of right now (wait until later). With a cold pattern consistently forecast and a setup like this, i wouldn't be surprised if this comes to fruition and we see at least a couple decent snow events (mainly in between 6-12'' seems realistic at this point) But it could change as we get closer. As of now, light-moderate snow events seems most realistic (again, at this point)

:weenie:

you’ll get more if you keep posting 10 day operational forecast charts. 

Use ensembles at this time frame.  Reliability for operational models beyond d5-6 is suspect and by d10 it is piss poor.  Ensembles give you a better idea. 

12z EURO shows how you make it snow in a crappy pattern.

Would be a decent 10 day stretch with a couple events verbatim in what has been written off as a period for snows.

*Only posted to show the possibilities...not that this is expected.  "But you're saying there's a chance..."  If we can get to February with another event or two that'd be nice.

EURO.jpg.74c20be7298059496f85e00196142f3f.jpg

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

12z EURO shows how you make it snow in a crappy pattern.

Would be a decent 10 day stretch with a couple events verbatim in what has been written off as a period for snows.

*Only posted to show the possibilities...not that this is expected.  "But you're saying there's a chance..."  If we can get to February with another event or two that'd be nice.

We have enough latitude that we can "get away with" a crappy pattern sometimes. It is one reason I never quite understand the doom and gloom at times when we're not cooking up -3 SD EPOs or AOs...yeah I wish the pattern was perfect in its own way like 2015 was or Jan 2011...but we will find ways to snow at this latitude semi-frequently even when the PAC jet is a bit excited and we've lost some of the blocking up north. It's not a lottery ticket or hail mary like it might be much further south.

I mean, I would like to buy a -NAO at some point though...it helps offset a garbage PAC quite well in the retention department. Still, we may be able to pull off an event next week and who knows...maybe even D10.

32 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We have enough latitude that we can "get away with" a crappy pattern sometimes. It is one reason I never quite understand the doom and gloom at times when we're not cooking up -3 SD EPOs or AOs...yeah I wish the pattern was perfect in its own way like 2015 was or Jan 2011...but we will find ways to snow at this latitude semi-frequently even when the PAC jet is a bit excited and we've lost some of the blocking up north. It's not a lottery ticket or hail mary like it might be much further south.

I mean, I would like to buy a -NAO at some point though...it helps offset a garbage PAC quite well in the retention department. Still, we may be able to pull off an event next week and who knows...maybe even D10.

Yea, no complaints at all. Its been a good season. If we can steal another moderate event within the next week, that would leave us primed for a big finish.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Has anyone checked the strat of late? I preached it, but have failed to do so.

Everyone loves discussing regression....aren't we due for some regression in the N Atl?

Christ....you would think the atmosphere would accidently engineer a neg NAO for a day or three-

Looks rather cold to me. 

Archived