• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

It's hard to say what form the synoptic future will take. 

The GEFs tele's continue to elaborately put up a spread signaling a pattern supporting warmth, with an indeterminate end date...  However, there are weak countermanding signals: such as a persistent lower the NAO; as well ...the general tenor of the operational guidance et al, not really exercising the rights given to them by their ensemble means (particularly in the GFS family) to expand the warm look as much as they could.  In a holistic, ... less than scientific appeal, one can almost 'feel' the operational GFS in particular, doing everything physically imaginable to fight its own ensemble argument.  Routinely, ...cycle after cycle features a complexions that are cooler relative to this:

winter_over3.jpg.bce3bc70431245c71012020017bb7ba5.jpg

The 06z is a fantastic example of having pretty much no idea what it's ensemble mean wants to do with the next ten days to two weeks.  I think it even has a grid concerning mix bomb out there at first glance...  Meanwhile, that spread above...with a total -6 SD correction of the PNA while the EPO "big-brother" torments above 0, means it's open season on Chinook/Pac sweeps to the EC...and probably crockus shoots and greening lawns.

The rub is ... the PNA is a truly huge domain space? It covers like 1/8th the planetary surface area in terms of raw coordinates.  The operational GFS could still "fit" inside that appeal above, ...though barely.. given to idiosyncrasies within, and still have those numerical equivalence/modes be true. 

If that were not enough.. the CPC has a significant PNA mode flipping back positive with every member (rare to get that much agreement that far in advance) heading toward Feb 1st. It's a newly emergent signal out there at the end of oblivion ...so obviously subject to change.  I'm curious if there are any roll-forward analogs for modest La Nina an AGW denial - ha

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Does anyone know any good references for estimating ice storm damage from ice accretion/freezing rain accumulation? I can't seem to find anything specific on estimating how much accretion will be effective for a given amount of zr.  

Yeah I have always wanted to see information on this as well.

Just now, eyewall said:

Yeah I have always wanted to see information on this as well.

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11434-011-4868-2.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235110898_Ice_Accretion_in_Freezing_Rain

I found these two and a few others, but it's still not an easy answer.  It appears raindrop size also plays a role in ice loading. 

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2Fs11434-011-4868-2.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235110898_Ice_Accretion_in_Freezing_Rain

I found these two and a few others, but it's still not an easy answer.  It appears raindrop size also plays a role in ice loading. 

That would make sense on how much runs off as liquid. I would imagine it is much easier for smaller drops to freeze more completely than large rain drops.

2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Does anyone know any good references for estimating ice storm damage from ice accretion/freezing rain accumulation? I can't seem to find anything specific on estimating how much accretion will be effective for a given amount of zr.  

Not sure if you'll be able to see this or if it's behind our firewall: FRAM

That's the model that we're moving towards for ice accumulation grids. You can see from some of the background research though, that 70% of the rain rate is typically a good estimate for most rainfall rates. Once you head towards heavy rain rates the efficiency falls to closer to 50%. But then wind can help not only transport heat away, but increase the likelihood that drops hit a surface (as they fall sideways instead of straight down), like 2008. 

The other tools seem to have a high bias. 1:1 for obvious reasons, but CRREL also had a high bias because it doesn't account for latent heating. It also had a fairly extreme bias with strong winds (like high terrain winds) where you could end up with more ice than actual QPF. 

No of course FRAM is flat surface (deck, car, etc), so to covert to power lines or tree branch it is about 35-40% of the FRAM amount.

40 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not sure if you'll be able to see this or if it's behind our firewall: FRAM

That's the model that we're moving towards for ice accumulation grids. You can see from some of the background research though, that 70% of the rain rate is typically a good estimate for most rainfall rates. Once you head towards heavy rain rates the efficiency falls to closer to 50%. But then wind can help not only transport heat away, but increase the likelihood that drops hit a surface (as they fall sideways instead of straight down), like 2008. 

The other tools seem to have a high bias. 1:1 for obvious reasons, but CRREL also had a high bias because it doesn't account for latent heating. It also had a fairly extreme bias with strong winds (like high terrain winds) where you could end up with more ice than actual QPF. 

No of course FRAM is flat surface (deck, car, etc), so to covert to power lines or tree branch it is about 35-40% of the FRAM amount.

this is great.  Thank you. 

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah well looks kind of meh going forward to me. I don't like seeing blues at H5 from AK through CA. Blech.

I'm fine with it..that was expected to happen mid season. I'm pretty confident the nice look comes back later in Feb and into March.

Doesn't mean we can't snow in the mean time...

It's a warmer than normal pattern .... backdoor front or not.   In fact, you could almost argue that a BD is required in a warmer than normal pattern - counter intuitive perhaps, but the pattern and the phenomenon are obviously connected.   I suppose it is true that a BD air mass could get deep enough to turn into a bona fide CAD icer/mix ...but the pattern is still warmer than normal.  As New England winter enthusiasts, we get the benefit of 'enabling' our fantasies do to the local geography 'cheating' the warm air with this tucking thing that happens at pretty much all scale (actually). 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a warmer than normal pattern .... backdoor front or not.   In fact, you could almost argue that a BD is required in a warmer than normal pattern - counter intuitive perhaps, but the pattern and the phenomenon are obviously connected.   I suppose it is true that a BD air mass could get deep enough to turn into a bona fide CAD icer/mix ...but the pattern is still warmer than normal.  As New England winter enthusiasts, we get the benefit of 'enabling' our fantasies do to the local geography 'cheating' the warm air with this tucking thing that happens at pretty much all scale (actually). 

But oh do rue this advantage in spring!

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems to be the kind of winter where we take advantage if every little opening...even during a general relaxation...such as Wednesday.

Bodes well.

Well if you want your forecast to verify, and I think you do since it’s referenced frequently , you wouldn’t think the look of the weeklies bodes well.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I didn’t think it was terrible. Week 3 was kind of ugly but week 4 looked decent with riding in AK and Greenland. Week 3 if anything slightly improved.

Referencing models correctly is in the eye of the beholder. 

26 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

Define “hideous” plz?

Subtract 8 from the DIT index. 

Archived