Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

dryslot

NNE Winter Thread

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think they were okay.  I texted him but haven't heard back yet.   Here's his webcam picture and the river is off to the left, several hundred feet behind those pines.  This area got flooded with the big fall storm and didn't this time.  Looks like they got a couple of inches of a refresher on the back side too..

a.jpg

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thanks

The Ammonoosuc at Bethlehem (downstream) didn't reach flood this time, a good 3 feet or so below where it was in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think they were okay.  I texted him but haven't heard back yet.   Here's his webcam picture and the river is off to the left, several hundred feet behind those pines.  This area got flooded with the big fall storm and didn't this time.  Looks like they got a couple of inches of a refresher on the back side too..

a.jpg

 I'm here, I'm here! Appreciate the concern. We were completely fine, the river was nowhere near flooding. Lost a lot of snowpack but still 4-6" in the wind areas and about a foot in the more protected spots around my house, and 2 inches of some really gave snow/sleet. As Gene mentioned, the real news for me has been the flue. Got up to 103.5 and still feel like crap. I hadn't had a real flu since being a teenager and never realized how awful it actually is. I'm a drama queen, I know, but at one point I thought I wasn't gonna make it lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really was expecting this cold snap to be as cold as it played out. Yesterday never got above 8 or 9 here in BTV - that's pretty darn cold for a full sun day here in the CPV even for mid January.  Now it's -7F.  January really is going to play-out like a roller coaster.  Particularly with upper 30s and 40s progged for the weekend and another cutter after that.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adk said:

Really was expecting this cold snap to be as cold as it played out. Yesterday never got above 8 or 9 here in BTV - that's pretty darn cold for a full sun day here in the CPV even for mid January.  Now it's -7F.  January really is going to play-out like a roller coaster.  Particularly with upper 30s and 40s progged for the weekend and another cutter after that.  

 

Yeah it definitely looks like we hit a tough stretch of crap coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah it definitely looks like we hit a tough stretch of crap coming up.

I mean, I'm not sure 40s and 50s is worse than minus single digits and teens ....if ain't gonna snow, no reason to be cold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adk said:

Some really nice light snow falling in BTV this am. About .75" so far...certainly enough to shut down schools in Atlanta. 

Pretty great weekend of skiing at Whiteface Saturday / Sunday.  Saturday with fresh snow 6-10 inches and Sunday was as blue bird as it gets, temp was probably -25 or so at the Summit but with no wind it really wasn't bad.  Visibility was basically unlimited with clear views of Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.03” L.E.

 

The morning’s snow is from the weakening low over southern Ontario/Lake Huron that will be transferring energy to the Cape, but it’s actually the first volley from Winter Storm Inga, so today’s totals will be rolled into that overall event.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had OES at my foothills locale last evening, 1st time in almost 20 years here.  Between about 5 PM to 9 we got 1.0" with only 0.01" LE.  No, I didn't believe the 100:1 ratio either, but a double-core sample follow-up produced the same result.  Objects (like my unpainted plywood snowboard) were clearly visible under the new snow.  Nice flakes falling ultra-slowly thru near-calm low teens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Had OES at my foothills locale last evening, 1st time in almost 20 years here.  Between about 5 PM to 9 we got 1.0" with only 0.01" LE.  No, I didn't believe the 100:1 ratio either, but a double-core sample follow-up produced the same result.  Objects (like my unpainted plywood snowboard) were clearly visible under the new snow.  Nice flakes falling ultra-slowly thru near-calm low teens.

 

That’s pretty neat Tamarack; it’s great when other locations get to experience those types of rarified snowfalls as well.  Here in the upslope/LES zone we don’t typically go in for all that sexist snow talk that you’ll sometimes hear on the forum – 100:1 is simply a really efficient use of moisture and a nice localized jab at entropy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

 

That’s pretty neat Tamarack; it’s great when other locations get to experience those types of rarified snowfalls as well.  Here in the upslope/LES zone we don’t typically go in for all that sexist snow talk that you’ll sometimes hear on the forum – 100:1 is simply a really efficient use of moisture and a nice localized jab at entropy.

Having only the 1" helped immensely.  My two previous high ratios, each 4.5" from 0.10" LE, came from synoptic events, but I think that getting 4-5" yesterday would've squashed the ratio down to near that level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow globe snow today... no wind and big flakes gave some wintry appeal.

2" at 1,500ft per Andre and somewhere near 1" at 750ft but that's just the eyeball sniff test.

Looks like Bolton Valley is also reporting 2" of new today and Smuggs a dusting to an inch for ski areas among our little stretch of the Spine.

NoipdKy.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.05” L.E.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 24.8 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.09” L.E.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 17.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Fantastic picture Eyewall.  You really could travel around Vermont with your drone and make a picture book.  They are that good.  This looks like a jigsaw puzzle picture.  New wallpaper for me!

Thank you! I should do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Fantastic picture Eyewall.  You really could travel around Vermont with your drone and make a picture book.  They are that good.  This looks like a jigsaw puzzle picture.  New wallpaper for me!

Completely agree.  Fantastic pics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.13” L.E.

 

The snow from Winter Storm Inga thus far hasn’t show very high snow to liquid ratios, but today’s accumulation was notably fluffier and the larger flakes falling outside are consistent with that trend.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 27.5

Snow Density: 3.6% H2O

Temperature: 21.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 2.6” Snow/0.13” L.E.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 10.2 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 11.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×