• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potent Clipper light snows (Discussion & Observations)

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

When I left for work I had a little over 1” on the ground in Long Beach, and the second burst was underway. I guess I’ll go with 1.5” total. That makes 5” for the month. 

Same, here, I'll say 1.5" from this one, giving us 3.00" for the year vs a December average of 6.75" at nearby BNL

57 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Not a bad start at all! 

Agreed. There seems to be a lot if dismay regarding the teleconnections building a se ridge and sw trough, but sometimes we do well with these. Jan and Feb 1993 were good cases of cutters that dropped 1 to 5 inches before flipping to rain.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

schools closed for that?   I thought they were bad here...we had a closing last year for wet roads...LOL

In the back when we went to school category, schools wouldn't close around here for anything less than 6" of snow and heavy snow still falling.  And since that didn't happen except for a couple of times when it happened on a weekend or going into a weekend, there were no snow days in the entirety of the 80s and early 90s.

There are a few examples of 4-5 inches of snow and snow still falling when we had to go to school, of course I gave myself a day off on some of those occasions ;-)

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

In the back when we went to school category, schools wouldn't close around here for anything less than 6" of snow and heavy snow still falling.

There are a few examples of 4-5 inches of snow and snow still falling when we had to go to school, of course I gave myself a day off on some of those occasions ;-)

it is silly what they call for delays and closings these days...and then people are griping that kids are in un air conditioned buildings when they have to make up the days in late June.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

it is silly what they call for delays and closings these days...and then people are griping that kids are in un air conditioned buildings when they have to make up the days in late June.

depends on the conditions around the school

the town roads could be fine, but if the school grounds isn't shoveled, and there's ice and snow everywhere it wouldn't be a good look upon the school 

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Personally I would rather be in school for 1-2 inches of snow in December, (hey sometimes it was fun to walk to school in that weather) rather than 95 degree weather in June.

At least when you get inside you don't have to deal with the minor inconvenience of a little snow.

Just now, nesussxwx said:

depends on the conditions around the school

the town roads could be fine, but if the school  grounds isn't shoveled, and there's ice and snow everywhere it wouldn't be a good look upon the school 

That's true- it also depends on the type of storm.  A 1-2" storm could include a mix of other precip or black ice which would be a much bigger problem.  But a storm like we had today wasn't that kind of storm.  The snow on the roads completely melted as soon as it got bright outside.

28 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Agreed. There seems to be a lot if dismay regarding the teleconnections building a se ridge and sw trough, but sometimes we do well with these. Jan and Feb 1993 were good cases of cutters that dropped 1 to 5 inches before flipping to rain.

It would be a huge letdown however as models were frigid into early January up until a couple of days ago-shows you how the long range is a crap shoot.    If we get another 60 degree Xmas it will be a bummer for sure, but consistent with recent history of warm Christmases.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

That's true- it also depends on the type of storm.  A 1-2" storm could include a mix of other precip or black ice which would be a much bigger problem.  But a storm like we had today wasn't that kind of storm.  The snow on the roads completely melted as soon as it got bright outside.

I understand that, but some schools start before 7:30 AM when it was still snowing in most of the metro area. 

A delay would have been more appropriate. 

Just now, Brian5671 said:

It would be a huge letdown however as models were frigid into early January up until a couple of days ago-shows you how the long range is a crap shoot.    If we get another 60 degree Xmas it will be a bummer for sure, but consistent with recent history of warm Christmases.

People seem to really like the December 2005 analogy and this December does seem somewhat similar to that one for our area anyways (not for the South where they had a historic snowstorm a few days ago and not for New England where the Dec 05 storm was a much bigger deal.)  But Dec 2005 had frequent minor events in the first half of the month like we are having now.

2 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

I understand that, but some schools start before 7:30 AM when it was still snowing in most of the metro area. 

A delay would have been more appropriate. 

Yes totally, especially with the sun expected to come out later.  Starting schools around 10 AM when the WWA expired sounds reasonable.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

People seem to really like the December 2005 analogy and this December does seem somewhat similar to that one for our area anyways (not for the South where they had a historic snowstorm a few days ago and not for New England where the Dec 05 storm was a much bigger deal.)  But Dec 2005 had frequent minor events in the first half of the month like we are having now.

Jan 06 was awful for snow lovers-torch city and the usual "cold and snow in 10 days" calls were out but of course it never arrived.  Took till the Blizzard in Feb to give us any semblance of winter and even right after that it was back to the torch.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Jan 06 was awful for snow lovers-torch city and the usual "cold and snow in 10 days" calls were out but of course it never arrived.  Took till the Blizzard in Feb to give us any semblance of winter and even right after that it was back to the torch.

That was an all-around horrible winter that got NYC to 40 inches of snow for the fourth time in a row somehow lol.

Around here we got about the same amount of snow for the entire season that NYC got in that one freak Feb 2006 snow "storm"

Dec 2005 - NYC 6" snowstorm  here- all rain

Jan 2006 - mild with one minor 1-3" snow

Feb 2006- one freak band of heavy snow that dumped NYC with 26" and here we got half of that 13"  It all melted in 5 days for everyone so.....

Mar 2006- was supposed to be cold and snowy and ended up cold and dry

April 2006- my favorite event of the entire season a renegade early morning snow dumped 1-2" here and 0.1 in NYC to get them to 40.0 lol

39 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That was an all-around horrible winter that got NYC to 40 inches of snow for the fourth time in a row somehow lol.

Around here we got about the same amount of snow for the entire season that NYC got in that one freak Feb 2006 snow "storm"

Dec 2005 - NYC 6" snowstorm  here- all rain

Jan 2006 - mild with one minor 1-3" snow

Feb 2006- one freak band of heavy snow that dumped NYC with 26" and here we got half of that 13"  It all melted in 5 days for everyone so.....

Mar 2006- was supposed to be cold and snowy and ended up cold and dry

April 2006- my favorite event of the entire season a renegade early morning snow dumped 1-2" here and 0.1 in NYC to get them to 40.0 lol

It happens a lot this millennium, but Feb '06 still tops the list of giving the middle finger to everyone just outside the death band. I got 4"... the next town to my south reported 16". That sinking feeling I got when watching radar loops and realizing the band was going to stall out just to my south still haunts me to this day.

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

schools closed for that?   I thought they were bad here...we had a closing last year for wet roads...LOL

The roads here in Western orange county are a pain in the ass to begin with, you think they would send a school bus on snow covered roads down 1200-1300' hills? lol.. Roads were still snow covered at 9am when they made the decision. Supposedly it was only suppose to be a 2 hr delay.

7 minutes ago, snywx said:

The roads here in Western orange county are a pain in the ass to begin with, you think they would send a school bus on snow covered roads down 1200-1300' hills? lol.. Roads were still snow covered at 9am when they made the decision. Supposedly it was only suppose to be a 2 hr delay.

If you are that hilly, then it makes sense...

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Melted out the snow in the rain gauge.  0.14".  That's a 19:1 ratio for our 2.7" of snowfall overnight and this morning. 

By comparison, last Saturdays snow to liquid ratio here was 8:1.

Only 2.5" here. That band really blew up over your area, it started blossoming over commack, but really exploded over you. Glad you beat me for once...

Archived