• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potent Clipper light snows (Discussion & Observations)

Zelocita Weather

It appears that Central Park never measured again after 7 am. The correct snowfall figure was very likely between 1.4" and 1.5". A closer look is in order.

On the 9:52 am PNS, the following snowfall figures were available:

EWR: 1.5” (precipitation: 0.06”; Ratio: 25:1) 6:50 am figure
JFK: 1.1” (precipitation: 0.04”; Ratio: 27.5:1) 6:50 am figure
LGA: 0.9” (precipitation: 0.06”; Ratio: 15:1) 6:50 am figure
NYC: 1.2” (precipitation: 0.06”; Ratio: 20:1) 6:50 am figure

All four sites received an additional 0.02” precipitation in the form of snow

On the 2:01 pm PNS, the following snowfall figures were available:

EWR: 1.7” (Additional snowfall 10:1 ratio) 12:51 pm figure
JFK:  1.4” (Additional snowfall 15:1 ratio) 12:51 pm figure
LGA: 1.2” (Additional snowfall 15:1 ratio) 12:51 pm figure

NYC: 1.2” (Additional snowfall : None despite hourly observations and recorded 0.02” precipitation) 12:51 pm figure

Based on the data from the nearby sites, Central Park’s actual figure was likely somewhere between 1.4” (10:1 ratio) and 1.5” (15:1 ratio).

P.S. I sent an e-mail to the NWS-Upton. Hopefully, the NWS will make the appropriate adjustment by day's end. They've done it in the past when I sent e-mails on such matters, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem will be addressed.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

It appears that Central Park never measured again after 7 am. The correct snowfall figure was very likely between 1.4" and 1.5". A closer look is in order.

NYC: 1.2” (Additional snowfall : None despite hourly observations and recorded 0.02” precipitation) 12:51 pm figure

Based on the data from the nearby sites, Central Park’s actual figure was likely somewhere between 1.4” (10:1 ratio) and 1.5” (15:1 ratio).

P.S. I sent an e-mail to the NWS-Upton. Hopefully, the NWS will make the appropriate adjustment by day's end. They've done it in the past when I sent e-mails on such matters, so I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem will be addressed.

By the way, the ratios at the airports are likely lower. I remember from previous years that they always underreport LE with snow.

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Matches exactly with my observations a couple miles north of the park observation sight (120th and Broadway) We had about 1.4” with the first batch then an additional .4” with the second for a total of 1.8”.

13 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

I would ordinarily be ranting about this, but I realize with so many minor events one right after the other, it can be a pain to measure snowfall- so I suggest they just measure once at the end of the event and be done with it!

10 hours ago, Morris said:

By the way, the ratios at the airports are likely lower. I remember from previous years that they always underreport LE with snow.

I remember an event in the 03-04 winter when LGA recorded 80:1 ratios and the rest of the area was 25:1-40:1

Felt like a Plains Blizzard around here lol.

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It happens a lot this millennium, but Feb '06 still tops the list of giving the middle finger to everyone just outside the death band. I got 4"... the next town to my south reported 16". That sinking feeling I got when watching radar loops and realizing the band was going to stall out just to my south still haunts me to this day.

That winter isn't remembered as being a good one, even though for those of us who lived through the 80s/early 90s, it would have felt like heaven.  Even though being hit by the "death band" didn't mean much when the snow was all gone in those areas in a few days.

How did you do in 2015-16?  I would have taken that winter in a heartbeat over 2005-06, even with the big monthwide torch in December (granted I got to experience my first 30"+ snowstorm the following month!).  The winter at least continued for a few weeks after the big blizzard and we got a few more nice events in February.

6 hours ago, Paragon said:

That winter isn't remembered as being a good one, even though for those of us who lived through the 80s/early 90s, it would have felt like heaven.  Even though being hit by the "death band" didn't mean much when the snow was all gone in those areas in a few days.

How did you do in 2015-16?  I would have taken that winter in a heartbeat over 2005-06, even with the big monthwide torch in December (granted I got to experience my first 30"+ snowstorm the following month!).  The winter at least continued for a few weeks after the big blizzard and we got a few more nice events in February.

2015-16 was the worst here since I started keeping comprehensive records in the early 2000s. 18.6" seasonal snowfall... the only slightly redeeming facet was the above-average April snow that included two plowable storms. 

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

2015-16 was the worst here since I started keeping comprehensive records in the early 2000s. 18.6" seasonal snowfall... the only slightly redeeming facet was the above-average April snow that included two plowable storms. 

Oh I remember that, early April was quite winterlike!

Where do you stand on the 2013-14 vs 2014-15 thing, JC?

I liked 2014-15 better, but I know other areas had an amazing winter in 2013-14 too.

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

My secret is out.  For somewhat larger snowfalls I use a 12" ruler that starts at 6".

Sometimes, I use a yardstick upside down.

lmao I remember someone did that without knowing it and posted a picture of it on the forums.

I must have the world's only 18" ruler, a half-yardstick.  I'm screwed whenever we get more than that.  Fortunately Jan 2016 was the only time it happened since PD2.  But it was a doozy.

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Oh I remember that, early April was quite winterlike!

Where do you stand on the 2013-14 vs 2014-15 thing, JC?

I liked 2014-15 better, but I know other areas had an amazing winter in 2013-14 too.

I'd happily alternate between the two for the rest of my life. :) Gun to my head, I think I'd pick 2014-15. Although there were no big ticket storms imby (the most significant being the pre-Thanksgiving 10.6" snowfall), I had more total snow spread out over more systems, 24 measurable snowfalls vs. 18 in 2013-14. I weight cold pretty heavily in my assessments of winter performance and the -13F monthly departure in Feb '15, including a -21F low, was something I'll never forget.

38 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'd happily alternate between the two for the rest of my life. :) Gun to my head, I think I'd pick 2014-15. Although there were no big ticket storms imby (the most significant being the pre-Thanksgiving 10.6" snowfall), I had more total snow spread out over more systems, 24 measurable snowfalls vs. 18 in 2013-14. I weight cold pretty heavily in my assessments of winter performance and the -13F monthly departure in Feb '15, including a -21F low, was something I'll never forget.

Same here- but it can't be like 0 degrees and no snow lol.  I liked both winters but 2014-15 was better and the winter extended into March.

The arctic feel of February 2015 is one I will never forget, we were getting that really fine quality of snow you usually don't see around here.

I mean sometimes it was falling in clear skies and looked like little diamond crystals!  I see that in forecasts sometimes for the NW Territories not down here lol.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My preference would be a couple of snows of a couple of inches each week rather than the big pain in the butt storms that shut everything down. Winter from mid Dec to late March, solid snowpack with the only warmups being of short duration that really only condense the pack not melt it out and turn things into a gloppy mess. Yeah I know, move to the Rockies :beer:

Archived