Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 9th snow

Tom

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

Plus if we can pull higher ratios we could do pretty good. However the dry air is a concern imo

The dry air is certainly my biggest worry as well in the NW burbs. It already feels so dry outside. Hopefully doesn't come into play as much. Obviously ratios will be slightly higher out here, but I don't think anything more than 12:1 at best if precip is heavy enough.

17 minutes ago, Newman said:

The dry air is certainly my biggest worry as well in the NW burbs. It already feels so dry outside. Hopefully doesn't come into play as much. Obviously ratios will be slightly higher out here, but I don't think anything more than 12:1 at best if precip is heavy enough.

Pivotalweather has a ratio map on their NAM pages. I didn't know it until DT tweeted about it, but it seems like it could be quite useful...

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=nam4km&p=ratioku&rh=2017120812&fh=30&r=us_ne&dpdt=

Quick tidbit, never understood it when people say "We're close to the event so models don't matter"....While of course that makes sense when it is actually snowing outside, unless you are using the HRRR or something, but even at 12-24 hours out the models are just as important. They don't become less useful, if they did it wouldn't make sense. The more wrong they are early on the more wrong they would be farther out (chaos theory). People used to say the EURO was better in the LR compared to the SR & it bothered me a lot. While it is important to take model biases into account, it is still very useful to look at the models within 24 hours out for last second trends 

What is considered WSW criteria in the extreme SE PA Counties adjacent to the Delaware River?

4" I believe i saw.

On that note I am surprised Mount Holly hasn't even issued the Lehigh Valley an hwo regarding this event, even after consistent modeling of 2-4" and now with the nam of upwards of 5-6"

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

4" I believe i saw.

On that note I am surprised Mount Holly hasn't even issued the Lehigh Valley an hwo regarding this event, even after consistent modeling of 2-4" and now with the nam of upwards of 5-6"

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Im VERY surprised Delco, PHL, and Southern Bucks are not under a WSW. I have gone 2-5" for my area (Warminster, Central southern Bucks) but the increase in QPF and small continued ticks West with the heavier swath of snow on guidance is making me wonder if 3-6" isn't a more realistic range up my way. Considering an increase based on rates already falling on MD Eastern shore into Salisbury MD where they said accums wouldnt verify due to accum issues on "warm ground". Already busting on that.

9 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Hey Shem, I've been stuck over at PR. What 's Langhorne looking like for tomorrow 

We were looking good for 4-5" after the last few models (3-6" general area) until this most recent GFS run, which knocked qpf back down and possibly back in the 3" range.  We always end up in some sort of screw zone, so anything over 2" is bonus I'm guessing.

We were looking good for 4-5" after the last few models (3-6" general area) until this most recent GFS run, which knocked qpf back down and possibly back in the 3" range.  We always end up in some sort of screw zone, so anything over 2" is bonus I'm guessing.

And new rgem is 4-8" and ticked west with heavier precip again. Gfs has been playing catchup and wobbling around the entire tracking period of this event.

Ralph I'm sure you've seen it before too, but many times b4 a storm the RGEM/NAM have a run where they boost QPF then come back down to earth...

However, what encourages me this time is that the GEM/NAM & GFS showed better phasing down South. This is going to be a fun storm to track. 1) It is just about 1 week into December so it isn't a storm where that ends a season so less pressure as a hobbyist. 2) I see more positive bust potential with this one. 3) Just 2 days ago we pretty much thought we were getting some flurries or snow showers, but now 48 hours later and we could be on the verge of a SECS. 4) As just mentioned the Army/Navy game could be played in a snowstorm, I am not sure if that has ever happened in the history of the matchup, would be interesting if someone looked that up.

Let's do this. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

4) As just mentioned the Army/Navy game could be played in a snowstorm, I am not sure if that has ever happened in the history of the matchup, would be interesting if someone looked that up.

Let's do this. 

The game used to be held the weekend after Thanksgiving (thus in November) and it was moved to December (1st or 2nd week) the last 10 years or so due to team expansions and avoiding division playoffs.   We all know about that early December climatological period and the odds though....!

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The game used to be held the weekend after Thanksgiving (thus in November) and it was moved to December (1st or 2nd week) the last 10 years or so due to team expansions and avoiding division playoffs.   We all know about that early December climatological period and the odds though....!

2013 game was played in snow I believe.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Thanks, I'm the typical Philly sports fan, 4 for 4 but never got into college football for whatever reason. Lack of playoff and lack of a team. I'm a Temple fan my parents went there but they were pretty terrible growing up lol.... and PSU to me doesn't count as a Philly team. I'm more of a college basketball fan especially since I played. 

Archived