joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9th snow

Tom

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General 2-5" snowfall looks likely across SE PA Saturday with higher amounts Delaware River S and E thru S Central NJ. Good way to start off the season.....a trend in the right direction for a change. Expecting a possible upgrade to winter storm watches in very extreme SE PA at 12z if track holds or continues to tick West. Had been watching this period for wintry precip chances for over 10 days now tho admittedly threw in the towel 6z Thursday for about 10 minutes before climbing back on board. Shame on me. Happy to see it will produce. Early start should bode well however for 17-18. Enjoy!

great briefing by Mt Holly. They've done a great job updating and keeping the possibility for the storm open even when it was on life support. Compared to the office in SE Virginia that doesn't even have WWA or Watches up for areas that may see 6 to 10 inches of snow tomorrow and they are doing an incredible job. I think the 1 in 10 snow map has a fairly decent shot of verifying if precip numbers continue to tick up and the storm continues to tick west/stronger as has been the trend since 12z yesterday. Right now my call is 1-3" LV, 3-6" from Bucks County south and east to the Delaware river. 5 to 8" from Trenton S and E with lollipops of 10" somewhere. But I won't be surprised if I have to increase those numbers increase by tonight to 2 to 4" LV , 5 to 8" Bucks and SE, and 7 to 10" Trenton SE as guidance continues to tick up with precip through 6z. The best news is I don't see there being enough time for this to trend in a horrible direction and screwing a majority of the area. I think just about everyone here is locked for at least accumulating snow. RGEM at 06z brings Extreme SE PA 6 inches. 4 to 6 through all of bucks county. 3-4 for most of the LV.

On a side note, how incredible did the NAM do with this storm? I know the NAVGEM had it first because the NAM wasn't in range but when it got in range, it was very consistent with the idea of precip being further west inland than the other models. I think it may have only had 1 run where it showed a miss for us but it definitely scored one over the GFS/Euro here if the storm plays out as projected. UKMET and CMC deserve kudos as well. Poor performance by both the GFS and Euro on this storm 4 days out. I think I mentioned earlier in the week that these storms coming on the heels of a pretty big pattern change often cause chaos on the globals and that was the case here. 

Right now temp is 34 and DP is 21. Most of the area should struggle to get above 40 today and precip won't be coming in until early morning tomorrow. Also don't think we will see too much sun today so I don't think we'll have to worry about warm ground effect. While it isn't vodka cold, most of the area should stay at around 30-32 the whole event besides N and W burbs which will be in the upper 20's.

It is nice to see the "little" models hit on this one. Since Early this week, it was looking like the trough wasn't going to pull this storm up enough,  but here it comes. Were almost in to now casting territory with this storm. If the mid day runs stay strong, then i am really going to move from tracking to excited. This will be my first snow in my new house with my heated front porch. I can not wait to sit on the porch and watch the snow fall.

Speaking of nowcast, the precip already looks further N and W than where the models placed the western edge of it. It's looking like most of east tennesee is going to get precip where most models had the cutoff about 20 miles west of the border or so. Even back into LA the precip is further N and W than it was projected. It's been a common theme since yesterday. I expect the models to continue ticking the heavier amount NW today. Unfortunately I think by tonight the shore may be looking at some pretty big mixing issues. I mean even right now it is going to be wicked close for them. Another tick 20 miles and mixing/rain is very likely.

cmc similar to the rgem. interesting battle between the american and canadian models. both are great hits for us but the canadians would be on the verge of a winter storm warning criteria for extreme SE PA. I'm curious what the uk is going to show after going gung ho last night, hope it stays on that path.

1 minute ago, Jsdphilly said:

I hope that hits for you. I'm much closer to the city, so that would bode very well for me! Does seem to be looking like that is a good call. You know what they say about expectations though...

I think Philly gets 5" 

Ukie has backed off now around .60" liquid for the city

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I think Philly gets 5" 

Ukie has backed off now around .60" liquid for the city

Im the first set of suburbs NW of the city. Only about 1 mile from the city limits. I gotta be honest, 3 inches is my expectation, I would love to get a few more. <1.5 and I am gonna be upset at this point. But any snow first week of December makes me happy

Right about the daytime snow, who remembers how last winter most of the snow events happened at night and early morning so not only did we not receive much snow but we saw even less.

I got to watch most of last year's snow at night. I will miss the daytime snow tomorrow due to work. Im sure there will be more chances though this season. Have fun all!

Euro ticks NW with precip again. SNJ gets slammed. We have a great consensus heading into the event and I feel pretty comfortable issuing my final call after the 12Z suite:

Lehigh Valley 2 to 4" with isolated 5" totals

Bucks county South and East to the Delaware River 3 to 6", 3-4 inches in the north and western parts of this area, heavier amounts 5 or 6 closer to the Delaware river. Isolated 7-8" totals

Trenton South and East to the shore 5 to 8" with isolated totals of 10".  Shore areas may see less if they see mixing for a period which is always possible in early season snow storms

All in all a very solid storm to kick off the year, ground should be snow covered for the entire area. I think roads will be worse than projected during a normal day time snow event. Low sun angle and less traffic than a normal weekday should make the roads be snow covered in area's that see heavier totals. The event beginning before sunrise(thinking we see a 2-4 am start from south to north) also will be a factor in this. I haven't been out today but this morning there were no roads being treated at all either.

Archived