joxey
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 Strong to Severe Storm Potential

weatherwiz

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That is CT and LI tonight I think.

Yeah that has localized heavy rain written all over it with narrow training bands.  

Up here we glad it's not winter as the models did fairly poorly with QPF lol.  GGEM was the best of the suite yesterday at 24 hour lead time.  

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I will say wind is cranking. Easily over 35-40 in gusts. 

Our best wind was this morning into early afternoon ahead of the rain band.  Similar 35-45mph gusts seen at the ASOS stations, sustained 15-25mph type stuff.  

The gusts were more sporadic but when you got one it was like a freight train sound through the woods.  

Once it started raining the wind has seemed to stop completely.  

Just now, powderfreak said:

Our best wind was this morning into early afternoon ahead of the rain band.  Similar 35-45mph gusts seen at the ASOS stations, sustained 15-25mph type stuff.  

The gusts were more sporadic but when you got one it was like a freight train sound through the woods.  

Once it started raining the wind has seemed to stop completely.  

Rain stabilizes atmosphere.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah the classic wind killer...rain.

Best wind was when even some breaks in the clouds would develop...you could tell the mixing increased briefly in those times.  Pretty cool.

Yeah it's going good here. I have the windows open and you can hear it coming through. Some limbs and trees down around the area apparently. I suspect that dies down when the rain comes unless it lets up, or a bow echo comes through.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's going good here. I have the windows open and you can hear it coming through. Some limbs and trees down around the area apparently. I suspect that dies down when the rain comes unless it lets up, or a bow echo comes through.

Hope you have a Rockport blue shed in the backyard.

I always thought the main threat for any thunderstorms was going to be between like 7:00 PM and midnight.  There was never really much of a focus during the afternoon outside of perhaps a few potential storms...which happened but just west of SNE.  Some convection strengthening a bit south of Long Island to watch

Archived