Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zeromus-X said:

I'm in Sacramento and I can confirm that while there's no hurricane threat here, this weather is just awful. It hasn't rained since early April and we aren't set up for this weather. The majority of places in San Francisco that I visited while looking for rentals don't even have air conditioning!

Used to live in Va Beach and have family in the area so I appreciate everyone's updates. The Hampton Roads VA area is almost always spared due to the shape of the land, but this one looks like it could be nasty for them if it makes landfall as strong as it has been around NC/SC. Still too far to know, but everyone's updates are appreciated greatly for someone who lives on the other side of the country now.

Nah.....Sac is used to the heat and save for a few days - count them on one hand - SF residents don't need AC

6 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Not a odd take, to make a absolute statement like that is IMO reckless. But carry on...

Feel free to list cat 5s at landfall from VA and above since the beginning of record keeping.                ?

Why do people get fished in by the long range GFS, in both winter and tropical season?

2 minutes ago, WXEnthusiast said:

Clearly a north trend on GFS Ensembles control and spaghetti 

gefs_cyclone_atlantic_39.png

gefs_slp_cont_east_37.png

Goes to show you the uncertainty of the final outcome... pretty different from 18z GEFS guidance. OTS solution has been trending less and less likely overtime, so I'd say that the greatest takeaway is to focus on consistent greater-picture trends such as less OTS solutions. 

Still pretty funny to me how clustered 18z GEFS further south, and now it's a fairly wide net with the eastern seaboard under the gun. Would be pretty worrying if we're painting the same picture 84 hours out.

Just now, TPAwx said:

Feel free to list cat 5s at landfall from VA and above since the beginning of record keeping.                ?

Why do people get fished in by the long range GFS, in both winter and tropical season?

Who is getting fished? I see no hands raised. But when you say a run is wrong without any backup evidence it kinda makes you look silly. FYI. 

2 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Who is getting fished? I see no hands raised. But when you say a run is wrong without any backup evidence it kinda makes you look silly. FYI. 

I do think it's a bit silly that people are saying cat 5 when Irma landfalls as a cat 2-cat 3 on one of the GFS solutions a week+ out... still *very* significant, but people going wacko over the pressure will make social media go wacko. Shame that things can spread like wildfire ... this is why people blame meteorologists when things are hyped and models are wrong. 

Feel free list all the 50" rainfalls before this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

We're like 200 hours out we're being silly. in like 72 hours we'll be less silly. These are the farmers almanac of runs.

Feel free list all the 50" rainfalls before this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok come on now. A stalled tropical low with convergence off the Gulf of Mexico with overwhelming model support by all major global consensus is NOT even in the same universe as the GFS not handling tropical core dynamics well at high latitudes.

Just now, Windspeed said:

Ok come on now. A stalled tropical low with convergence off the Gulf of Mexico with overwhelming model support by all major global consensus is NOT even in the same universe as the GFS not handling tropical core dynamics well at high latitudes.

If a phase does not happen, this would be a warm core. It's still early on, so baroclinicity or shear is lessened. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

When water temps off the Delmarva are well into the 80s, then we can discuss the possibility of getting a cat 5 there.

cdas-sflux_sst_watl_1.png

I mean they are well into the 80s until Cape Hatteras, a storm won't spin down that significantly the last 75 miles if verbatim this run were correct. At the speed it would be moving it would have maybe 6 hours not over 82 degree water. Not saying it is probable or likely or anything along that line, but I wouldn't completely rule it out at all especially if it is a strong cat 5 which there is a chance coming out of the Bahamas.

11 minutes ago, Mountain_Patch said:

Well that's why I usually turn to the UKMET, Euro and EPS for more opinions.  I am not particularly pleased with the GFSs performance in the past year.  It hasn't handled any of the big storms well.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

cdas-sflux_sst_watl_1.png

I mean they are well into the 80s until Cape Hatteras, a storm won't spin down that significantly the last 75 miles if verbatim this run were correct. At the speed it would be moving it would have maybe 6 hours not over 82 degree water. Not saying it is probable or likely or anything along that line, but I wouldn't completely rule it out at all especially if it is a strong cat 5 which there is a chance coming out of the Bahamas.

Ok, is it like a 0.2% chance?  Sure, if we have a 175 mph storm right off the coast of North Carolina, then maybe it could hold on long enough as it headed north.  

Now even though it is unlikely and never been recorded, I would be less dismissive of a category 5 being able to occur in the Carolinas.  In theory...

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Ok, is it like a 0.2% chance?  Sure, if we have a 175 mph storm right off the coast of North Carolina, then maybe it could hold on long enough as it headed north.  

Now even though it is unlikely and never been recorded, I would be less dismissive of a category 5 being able to occur in the Carolinas.  In theory...

Honestly I would agree under normal circumstances, but seeing so many records fall all over the world over the last 15 years, gives me pause.

Archived