joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A short-term benchmark with some importance is the northern islands.  Models suggest that if Irma is going to remain over water north of Cuba, the eye will have to track north of the northernmost islands, while any track over the islands will send Irma into Cuba.  So far, there is no sign of any wnw bend.  If the bend doesn't start by morning, the islands are in trouble.

ive been lurking since like page 20 and made an account to ask a question...

has anybody noticed that the Japanese model seems to be showing the same trends as GFS & Euro but much earlier.

to me it looks like whatever way the JMA goes the other 2 go the same way the next day 

1 hour ago, seether said:

I believe these models are just as confused as most of us are haha.

I saw someone saying earlier that models are better than human beings (or vice versa) and I don't think either is better than the other.  Models don't have some magical knowledge from some advanced alien species that we don't know about.  All they are is a combo of the data we feed into them plus our knowledge of atmospheric physics- both of which are far from perfect.  So if the models are wrong, that is just a reflection of our lack of complete knowledge.  They can by definition neither be better than us or worse than us, since they are an artificial construct.

Archived