Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sirkan said:

You're absolutely correct. Apologies for the error. While there will be on-shore flow for both regions, they won't occur at the same time. I got a tad ahead of myself and forgot my counter-clockwise direction for some strange reason. So much for good first impressions. :-/

No biggie, it's cool that we get real time access to all this data.  Could certainly be a different story for TPA and other Gulf cities if the modeled track continues to shift West and verifies.  I have family in Herndon, and would much rather be up there right now. :-)

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
So they'll say 155mph vs 160 and therefore it will be a maxed 4

But, with a ds showing a pressure of around 938, they may potentially say 130kts/150mph

Official forecast had it being around 150mph by this time as well... Not certain, but this (whatever she reaches tonight and into tomorrow) may be the max wind of Irma during her lifetime given all the unknowns ahead. 

Just now, jojo762 said:

Official forecast had it being around 150mph by this time as well... Not certain, but this (whatever she reaches tonight and into tomorrow) may be the max wind of Irma during her lifetime given all the unknowns ahead. 

I'm in the same camp of thought -- this is her chance to show off. 

I've spent the past 6 days putting in 72 hours at an evacuee shelter here in Killeen, TX. Red Cross and FEMA are stretched so thin, and you can tell they are at a very high stress level. I cannot even imagine stretching them even more thin than they are at. 

Red cross? Yeah, I am talking with OEM offices up here and they were not happy when we were the bullseye. Some of my colleagues from the air national guard and USCG have been/were pulling rescues with Harvey

Just now, USCG RS said:
5 minutes ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:
I've spent the past 6 days putting in 72 hours at an evacuee shelter here in Killeen, TX. Red Cross and FEMA are stretched so thin, and you can tell they are at a very high stress level. I cannot even imagine stretching them even more thin than they are at. 

Red cross? Yeah, I am talking with OEM offices up here and they were not happy when we were the bullseye. Some of my colleagues from the air national guard and USCG have been/were pulling rescues with Harvey

They had me get certified while I was there so that I could be included in their conversations. The shelter started out with 1 Red Cross employee and 70 volunteers. As of yesterday it's 40 Red Cross, and they kept 10 volunteers.

From what I have been involved in, they are deeply concerned with their resources and trying to understand how they're going to be able to provide for everyone. They're definitely operating under immense pressure. 

They had me get certified while I was there so that I could be included in their conversations. The shelter started out with 1 Red Cross employee and 70 volunteers. As of yesterday it's 40 Red Cross, and they kept 10 volunteers.

From what I have been involved in, they are deeply concerned with their resources and trying to understand how they're going to be able to provide for everyone. They're definitely operating under immense pressure. 

Things have switched from rescues to recovery. Part of the issue is that major pieces of infrastructure are down, and will not be returning anytime soon (ie electricity, running water, etc) Likewise water will not be receeding from same areas for months. Then; Irma. She is going to be catastrophic no matter where she makes LF, barring an act of God. OEM offices are already stressed as we have loaned many personell and resources, and more will be needed. The federal government has problems to begin with as leadership (I mean all of it, not politicizing it towards either side) is severely lacking and resources are already stretched so thin. Then, there's a good chance of something behind Irma. Emergency responders are tired, low on resources and running on fumes; a very poor place to be staring down the barrel of another catastrophe.

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:
8 minutes ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Things have switched from rescues to recovery. Part of the issue is that major pieces of infrastructure are down, and will not be returning anytime soon (ie electricity, running water, etc) Likewise water will not be receeding from same areas for months. Then; Irma. She is going to be catastrophic no matter where she makes LF, barring an act of God. OEM offices are already stressed as we have loaned many personell and resources, and more will be needed. The federal government has problems to begin with as leadership (I mean all of it, not politicizing it towards either side) is severely lacking and resources are already stretched so thin. Then, there's a good chance of something behind Irma. Emergency responders are tired, low on resources and running on fumes; a very poor place to be staring down the barrel of another catastrophe.

And we're just reaching peak. 

Archived