Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic, Irma looks to be just about done with the ERC as a new eye has popped on IR, however it still has some work to do in order to clear out the center. We saw this recently with Harvey. Once the eye clears out it should be bombs away. NHC forecast could be rather conservative in the short term.

6 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

I was in Hurricane Bob.  In Harwich port.  That was a neat storm.  I assume you're referring to the 1991 Hurricane.

NHC totally blew the 18 hour forecast on that though.  Landfall was off by around 70 miles with their 5pm advisory on 8/18 showing landfall near Islip and it was more or less over Block Island.  Worked out well for us here.  Not so much for RI and the Cape

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Guess it depends which location you're looking at. I see more clustered around FL hits than any prior runs.

Of the members that come up the coast, there was definitely a push to the East. That doesn't have any bearing on the members that miss the trough.

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

NHC totally blew the 18 hour forecast on that though.  Landfall was off by around 70 miles with their 5pm advisory on 8/18 showing landfall near Islip and it was more or less over Block Island.  Worked out well for us here.  Not so much for RI and the Cape

There were boats everywhere and the library got demolished by a tree but most of the houses weren't too bothered.  I learned what 90mph winds felt like from that.  We must have stayed on the cape bc of the forecast - I wasn't exactly old enough to be making decisions at the time.

12Z GEFS definitely comes further south at D5 and D7 lead times. There's a lot of spread after that, but you can definitely see a huge change with the 12Z cycle showing 2 distinctive tracks now instead of the single recurve north as in previous cycles. The southern track is still 9 days away from a possible landfall so it's certainly a long way off.

Archived