Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, Pitmaster15 said:

We ended up with about 4 inches here by me yesterday. The last few hours came down pretty good. Is this next one looking better for down my way or will we be dealing with marginal temps again? I see nws says it’s looking like more of a rain event right now except for N & W

I’ve found that since I moved to Sloatsburg I’m not always n & w enough these days lol 

4" in rockland?! Impossible, i was told this was all rain!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I said T-2 and that was pretty accurate for Rockland. There was a lot of white rain yesterday. The real snow fell in Orange County and areas with elevation just like I said. The city got zilch 

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I said T-2 and that was pretty accurate for Rockland. There was a lot of white rain yesterday. The real snow fell in Orange County and areas with elevation just like I said. The city got zilch 

Can i get the definition of white rain? Thanks. 

5 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Lol yeah well maybe it only fell “imby” as they say. I would have to check and see if my wife or girls ran the snowmaking machine first but I’m pretty sure this is what fell naturally.

This was what we had by late afternoon.  

D67E26D7-8827-40DE-948E-D2B1BC3A6F7D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

12z GFS

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.23.19 AM.png

It'll probably expand its precipitation shield as we get closer especially if the phase happens sooner. Besides you'll probably get more from this storm than the past week bomb. Weird how that happened for you and animal cleaned up. Weather is weird dude. Ask snowman

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

It'll probably expand its precipitation shield as we get closer especially if the phase happens sooner. Besides you'll probably get more from this storm than the past week bomb. Weird how that happened for you and animal cleaned up. Weather is weird dude. Ask snowman

I feel much better now.. Thank you Tony

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

Pretty interesting read here in regards to the amazing snow hole throughout the region on friday. First in recent memory and hopefully the last! lol

https://hudsonvalleyweather.com/winter-storm-recap-one-record-books-3-2-18/

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.43.33 AM.png

That’s decent explanation of what happened in the morning. In the afternoon I believe that the column cooled enough but then we got stuck in between the bands of heavy snow. I think there must be more to it though. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

That’s decent explanation of what happened in the morning. In the afternoon I believe that the column cooled enough but then we got stuck in between the bands of heavy snow. I think there must be more to it though. 

I agree completely.. In the morning till about 11am I was a rain/snow mix. After 11 we flipped to all snow and started accumulating quickly then precip rates just died off. That western band robbed alot of our moisture. Most hi-res models were picking up this "snow hole" but I refused to believe it. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I agree too. I believe you mentioned the other day you had just over 2" of liquid  in the bucket. I had that initial thump of 3" then turned to a mixed bag. Maybe a wired combination of marginal temps,sun angle, and between bands. 

For the upcoming Wednesday event, anything more than partly cloudy skies will be a bonus .

3 hours ago, snywx said:

Pretty interesting read here in regards to the amazing snow hole throughout the region on friday. First in recent memory and hopefully the last! lol

https://hudsonvalleyweather.com/winter-storm-recap-one-record-books-3-2-18/

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 11.43.33 AM.png

Interesting I had the same thing happen in my area .  Were you around that area in April 1 of  1997? Exact same scenario happened here in that storm as well. 

38 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Interesting I had the same thing happen in my area .  Were you around that area in April 1 of  1997? Exact same scenario happened here in that storm as well. 

i was in the Bronx but my folks were in the area at the time. If I remeber correctly they did quite well. 10"+ 

4/1/97 was warm to rain then flip and !THUMP! 17" in a couple of hours. What a storm that was.

Now my power restoration status is back to "assessing' :( I was out driving around scrounging firewood from cut up downed trees and all.of a sudden the power lines next to me started bouncing, probably 6-8 feet! It snapped two poles off and the lines came crashing to the ground and took a transformer with them. All I could figure was someone cut a tree off the line further down the block and released the tension and sproing <> chaos. 30 minutes later our status went from Tuesday to unknown. Grrrr 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

4/1/97 was warm to rain then flip and !THUMP! 17" in a couple of hours. What a storm that was.

Now my power restoration status is back to "assessing' :( I was out driving around scrounging firewood from cut up downed trees and all.of a sudden the power lines next to me started bouncing, probably 6-8 feet! It snapped two poles off and the lines came crashing to the ground and took a transformer with them. All I could figure was someone cut a tree off the line further down the block and released the tension and sproing <> chaos. 30 minutes later our status went from Tuesday to unknown. Grrrr 

That’s really frustrating and totally sucks. When you and @Juliancolton do get the power back it’s a rather euphoric feeling.  

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018