Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

26 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m not gonna lie, I need to study these more in order to understand all the info that they contain. 

If you know the basics of lapse rates and snow microphysics, the rest of the stuff is mostly incidental for winter forecasting. I largely learned to read skew-t charts by "feel" before I sat down and studied the minutiae... that is, I just occasionally looked at forecast and actual soundings out of curiosity for years and eventually developed an instinct for what looked good and what didn't. You can tell from that frame that the atmosphere would be extremely unstable compared to most snowstorms, and the precip-forming cloud layer would be very deep with the saturated troposphere and upward motion (negative omega) extending through a large portion of the column. There's definite thundersnow potential there.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I think I'm going to go get a generator today. Will one of those quiet little Honda ones be sufficient to run a space heater a lamp and a coffee maker? It's down below 50 degrees in the house, I'm just about out of firewood and I need to come up with some sort of solution. 

I’d be pretty confident that the little generator can do that.  Are you having trouble getting firewood delivered?

It's not so much trouble getting it delivered its what it costs. I could just as easily get a generator and be able to have lights and heat rather than just heat in one room from the fireplace. I'm also not trusting that my chimney is going to be able to handle this for too much longer it's already been running for 5 days straight. It would be a different story if I had a wood stove that burned clean but all of the wood that seems to be available now is wet and it produces more smoke than heat and a fireplace is pretty much the worst way to try to generate heat anyway.

46 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

It's not so much trouble getting it delivered its what it costs. I could just as easily get a generator and be able to have lights and heat rather than just heat in one room from the fireplace. I'm also not trusting that my chimney is going to be able to handle this for too much longer it's already been running for 5 days straight. It would be a different story if I had a wood stove that burned clean but all of the wood that seems to be available now is wet and it produces more smoke than heat and a fireplace is pretty much the worst way to try to generate heat anyway.

I have a wood stove and burn a good amount.  We’ve been on the fence about getting another cord before the end of the season.  I have about a quarter of a cord left having gone through about 2 cords to date. Could be just enough or not so much.

2 hours ago, Yankees29 said:

Just check the wattage of the appliances you want to run and be sure the wattage rating  of the generator exceeds the total by a comfortable margin.  Also be sure to get heavy duty extension cords to connect the appliances.  And (obviously) be sure to have an ample supply of gasoline.  Good luck!

@gravitylover this is exactly what I was going to say, do some math to see how much you need from a generator. My generator is 3000 or 3500 watts and that is enough to do what your looking to do, at least enough for me. I don’t run a bunch of high energy stuff at the same time though, like run the fridge then when that’s down to the right temp, run the heat. My generator is enough to run my furnace but that involves a little wiring so I’m not sure how comfortable you are doing that but I also have run an oil filled space heater.  Just getting a lamp, chargers, TV and internet going again can be comforting.  I have satellite TV so that works as long as there’s power, if you have cable I’m guessing it that’s probably out for you as well though. It’s going to be awesome when you do get it back!  

What's everybody thinking for tomorrow? 12" seems to be a tough hurdle to surmount in most events, so a general 8-12" is probably the safe bet. It's basically a 9-12 hour show now that the stall has been erased from modeling... if banding doesn't set up as hoped, or the mid levels dry out a little toward the back half of the event, it'll be tough to get very far into Albany's 12-18" range. Hopefully we get some nice surprises.

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

What's everybody thinking for tomorrow? 12" seems to be a tough hurdle to surmount in most events, so a general 8-12" is probably the safe bet. It's basically a 9-12 hour show now that the stall has been erased from modeling... if banding doesn't set up as hoped, or the mid levels dry out a little toward the back half of the event, it'll be tough to get very far into Albany's 12-18" range. Hopefully we get some nice surprises.

I think 8-14 inches, 8 outside banding, around 14 with.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Why did NWS Albany increase amounts from 7-12 to 12-18? The westward trend on guidance? 

Their afternoon AFD should be out soon, will be an interesting read. I will note from the midday discussion that they seemed to be interested in the possibility of non-trivial accumulations from mesoscale processes during the day on Thursday. I almost got a Feb 2014 vibe from reading that earlier.

• Like 1

Strong frontogenetical forcing
in the 850 to 500 mb layer will be a major factor in enhancing
snowfall rates during the afternoon and evening. Cross sections
reveal very weak static stability above the layer of
frontogenesis with moist isentropes nearly vertical for a time.
This all leads to high confidence in intense banding, with this
event also being reminiscent of the pivoting band composite in
recent CSTAR research. Snowfall rates of 1 to 3 inches per hour
will be possible during the afternoon and evening. Where exactly
the most intense banding sets up is always difficult to
pinpoint, with CSTAR research indicating that it tends to form
a bit removed from the impinging dry slot. The dry slot may tend
to punch into portions of the mid Hudson Valley and northwest
Connecticut during the evening hours, but will likely have
greater impacts in cutting down snowfall totals to our south and
east. Latest thinking is that the heaviest snowfall rates will
spread south to north across the forecast area roughly 17-01Z
(noon to 8 pm).

6 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

So.. shovel or snow blower? Whatcha got?

I use my subcompact front-end loader almost exclusively these days. I can push the entire driveway's snow into one big pile that lasts deep into the next torch... then go steal a few buckets from plow piles at the end of the street to fortify the pile. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ve been pretty busy at work today so I haven’t had a chance to look at much aside from glances here and there. 

Same here.. Looks like a general 12-18" for the area. Wouldn't be surprised to see some 24" amounts popping up in favored upslope areas & areas of banding. 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018