Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse

Hoosier

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I went outside at work. Definitely a dimmer light but it wasnt really much to see up here. I did get Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart stuck in my head all day though lol. April 8, 2024 we will be much closer to path of totality. That can be a gray time of year though.

I would likely target Cleveland, but given my luck today in Nashville during an otherwise "perfect" time of year and "perfect" pattern, the bolded is a big concern.

7 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

A question I have is why on visible satellite loops areas far from the totality path appear to get very dark when on the ground there is not much (but still noticeable) dimming.

Check out the definitions for umbra and penumbra. 

14 minutes ago, The_Doctor said:

A question I have is why on visible satellite loops areas far from the totality path appear to get very dark when on the ground there is not much (but still noticeable) dimming.

6 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Check out the definitions for umbra and penumbra. 

THen remember dynamic range. The sensor on the satellite is reading between one third and one half of the world. Most of what it is looking at is not affected at all by the eclipse. Therefore, any dimming it sees gets shown as rather severe.

Just got home about 30 min ago.  Filled the tank this morning and we bolted about 30 min. after totality.  5.5 down 7 hours back.  Maybe 10 miles on any road with an "I" in front on the way back. Hardest part of the trip home were the Ohio and Wabash river crossings, definitely bottle necked at both. But as soon as we crossed we hit  the secondary's and the thirdendary's and even fourthendaiy's lol.  Think storm chasing experience helped plus two of us sharing the navigating and driving was a plus.  

Any way awe inspiring experience, well worth the headaches here and there.  Really can't add much more than what other's have already said other than as awesome as it was, it was truly humbling at the same time.  Really put's you in your place in this vast universe.  Oh, and during totality , seeing it in person the pure 3 dimensional view really stood out.  Pictures and video cannot reproduce that.  Amazing!  Hope everyone gets home safe!

My plan was similar to Jackstraw's on the way down in Missouri this morning. Then Waze told me that taking I35 on the way back up was a fantastic idea, and given the lack of any traffic on the way down, I believed it, and that ended just as well as one would expect. So went back to the pretty horrendous Missouri country roads and avoided most of the traffic on the way back to I80. Taking 80 was fine until I ran into an expansive MCS, which I coulda passed in 20 min but it took well over an hour to get out of the rain because people decided that going slower than the storm motion was an absolutely fantastic idea, but that probably would've happened anyways. Country roads were definitely the way to do it, as any interstate that went into totality is clogged from what I've seen and heard.

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Just got home about 30 min ago.  Filled the tank this morning and we bolted about 30 min. after totality.  5.5 down 7 hours back.  Maybe 10 miles on any road with an "I" in front on the way back. Hardest part of the trip home were the Ohio and Wabash river crossings, definitely bottle necked at both. But as soon as we crossed we hit  the secondary's and the thirdendary's and even fourthendaiy's lol.  Think storm chasing experience helped plus two of us sharing the navigating and driving was a plus.  

Any way awe inspiring experience, well worth the headaches here and there.  Really can't add much more than what other's have already said other than as awesome as it was, it was truly humbling at the same time.  Really put's you in your place in this vast universe.  Oh, and during totality , seeing it in person the pure 3 dimensional view really stood out.  Pictures and video cannot reproduce that.  Amazing!  Hope everyone gets home safe!

Yeah as cool as all the pics and videos are they just can't do the experience justice.  I think the fact that the eclipse happened right as the sun was at about the highest point of the day made it even that much better.  

Traffic wasn't really too bad for me.  I left shortly after totality passed, and took mostly county and state roads all the way home.  The stretch of route 24 between Paris and Monroe City was the only time there was heavy traffic.

Finally made it home at an obscene time last night.  But you know what, I would do it again.

It was cool to see Goreville, a town of about 1,000, transformed into a bustling place yesterday.  I read that there were thousands of people there throughout town, and I believe it.  People outside their houses with cameras and telescopes and numerous small and some larger viewing parties.  

I was thinking ahead to 2024 and how tempting it would be to get to the exact same spot, if feasible (they get about 4 mins totality).  How many people can say they watched 2 total eclipses from the same location?  

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Finally made it home at an obscene time last night.  But you know what, I would do it again.

It was cool to see Goreville, a town of about 1,000, transformed into a bustling place yesterday.  I read that there were thousands of people there throughout town, and I believe it.  People outside their houses with cameras and telescopes and numerous small and some larger viewing parties.  

I was thinking ahead to 2024 and how tempting it would be to get to the exact same spot, if feasible (they get about 4 mins totality).  How many people can say they watched 2 total eclipses from the same location?  

Top of Mount Marcy in the Adirondacks would be legendary in 2024.

With dumb luck I looked at Togwotee, WY webcam and caught the eclipse at what must have been just after totality.  Refreshed the image about a minute later and the sun was already making a comeback.  By the time I refreshed again it looked like full sun.  

I am not sure if coordinating the satellite image was planned but this looks it caught the eclipse pretty well, not exact, but I think it looks cool.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2017_08_21_233&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true

eclipse.jpg

eclipse2.jpg

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

left nashville at 9am ct, was smooth sailing on I-65 until elizabethtown, ky where I hit construction traffic.

After the Elizabethtown construction, got caught in Cincinnati and Dayton's rush hour for about an hour. Did drive through two heavy downpours as well (one in Louisville and one south of Toledo).

Otherwise, had no problems getting home.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Heck, how many people can say they saw 2 Eclipses in their lifetime?

33 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Heck, how many people can say they saw 2 Eclipses in their lifetime?

It will be a lot more US residents than recent decades, that's for sure.  After the long drought of totals in the CONUS, yesterday marked the start of sort of a golden age of eclipses with 4 totals (including yesterday) in a 28 year span. 

It will be a lot more US residents than recent decades, that's for sure.  After the long drought of totals in the CONUS, yesterday marked the start of sort of a golden age of eclipses with 4 totals (including yesterday) in a 28 year span. 

Indeed.

Obviously way out, but I'd like to hit them all.

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Likewise.  For anyone who didn't see yesterday's total, try to do it at least once in your life.

After seeing pictures and videos from the path, I'm ready.

I was 8 when the annular eclipse passed over the GLs in May 1994, but it wasn't too big of a deal that I remember. And I thought Monday's 90% totality over Columbus would be sufficient, but it was cloudy, not really noticeable, and practically a dud. However, I'm already prepping for 4/8/2024. Columbus is just outside the path of totality (~97-98%), but I'm already aiming for a trip up to Ada, Ohio. It's a quick drive 90 minutes NW of Columbus and it's on mainly rural roads. I'm thinking it should be a fairly easy drive as a lot of people will be using I-70 and I-75 from outside Ohio to get into the path.

I was reading a story about Indianapolis being in the totality zone in 2024, and it mentioned how the last total solar eclipse there was on September 14, 1205.  That is an unusually long time to wait as most of the bigger cities in the region have had 2 or 3 totals since then.  Turns out that eclipse in 1205 was total in only a portion of the city so it got me searching for the last time all of Indianapolis had a total eclipse (as 2024 will be).  The date?  May 15, 0831.  That is just astonishing.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was reading a story about Indianapolis being in the totality zone in 2024, and it mentioned how the last total solar eclipse there was on September 14, 1205.  That is an unusually long time to wait as most of the bigger cities in the region have had 2 or 3 totals since then.  Turns out that eclipse in 1205 was total in only a portion of the city so it got me searching for the last time all of Indianapolis had a total eclipse (as 2024 will be).  The date?  May 15, 0831.  That is just astonishing.

Wow, that is amazing. I believe Indystorm took pictures (cave paintings) of that one. :scooter:

I haven't checked closely, but I believe we'll be on the northern edge up here for 2024.

• Like 1