Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Last Friday here.  So 7 days which is by far the longest of the spring/summer.  Grass is burning out fast....

I don't know what's up with the grass but I'm used to going 2-3 weeks without any rain in the summer.  This has been the wettest summer in years.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I don't know what's up with the grass but I'm used to going 2-3 weeks without any rain in the summer.  This has been the wettest summer in years.

soil around here is fairly sandy-so we lose moisture quickly.  I'm about 4 miles from the sound.

Just now, Brian5671 said:

soil around here is fairly sandy-so we lose moisture quickly.  I'm about 4 miles from the sound.

I think it's the same here, grass goes yellow as soon as it stops raining.  I've been moving some plants and trees back and forth from my house in PA and NY, and the ones that I've had there don't do well here- they need a lot of watering.  I've even tried to replace the sandy soil with a richer soil, but the plants still look like they need more water even though I'm watering two or three times a week.

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Tomorrow is a borderline 90 day with a lot of clouds around.  I'd be shocked if it's anything like the last 2 days have been.

Forecasts have trended to more sun and hot for Sat with clouds/rain holding off till night.  We'll see. Around 92, 93 wouldn't surprise me. Their reasoning is it will barely reach advisory criteria, just in the most urban areas. 

Just now, dWave said:

Forecasts have trended to more sun and hot for Sat with clouds/rain holding off till night.  We'll see. Around 92, 93 wouldn't surprise me. Their reasoning is it will barely reach advisory criteria, just in the most urban areas. 

Thanks, what does it look like in terms of wind?  An offshore wind like today or more of an onshore southerly wind for tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

JFK is ahead of both LGA and EWR today, 94 compared to 92 and 93.

Won't compare it to the park- comparing the park to airports is ridiculous.

I noticed the Park temps passed LGA for a time today but inexplicably started to fall slightly while everyone else kept rising. It been not so wet lately so that helps, but I think the sun gets behind the trees around 3ish and slows temps there.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

First 95 of the year so far at Gilgo Beach on the strong offshore flow earlier.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYGILGO1#history/tdata/s20170721/e20170721/mdaily

Been a pretty tame summer so far, a far cry from 2010 and 2010 when you showed the 106 that was recorded there.  We had 11 95+ degree days here in 2010 and 3 100+ days (along with 31 90+ days, all records.)

Maybe we'll have a hyper heat burst one day and get to 136 degrees like Bullhead City did last week (see my post regarding that in the Banter thread and in the thread in the main forum) ....any idea if the 136 high there is considered official?  Was that the first 130+ temp officially measured by ASOS?

49 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Been a pretty tame summer so far, a far cry from 2010 and 2010 when you showed the 106 that was recorded there.  We had 11 95+ degree days here in 2010 and 3 100+ days (along with 31 90+ days, all records.)

Maybe we'll have a hyper heat burst one day and get to 136 degrees like Bullhead City did last week (see my post regarding that in the Banter thread and in the thread in the main forum) ....any idea if the 136 high there is considered official?  Was that the first 130+ temp officially measured by ASOS?

Yeah, the ridge and drought setting up over the West has kept us below the extreme heat levels of the other 2010's Julys. The brief record heat occurred during the short but potent May and June heatwaves.

I didn't hear anything about Bullhead City. Did anyone do a blog post about it?

500.gif.9facee36fd72b73a3ad427cbd56151a1.gif

44 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the ridge and drought setting up over the West has kept us below the extreme heat levels of the other 2010's Julys. The brief record heat occurred during the short but potent May and June heatwaves.

I didn't hear anything about Bullhead City. Did anyone do a blog post about it?

500.gif.9facee36fd72b73a3ad427cbd56151a1.gif

Masters or Burt I think? I'm not sure but I was led to the KIFP page from something I saw on wunderground.

Do you think we hold the sea breeze off tomorrow to hit 90 again on the south shore?

Archived