ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Central PA - December 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, canderson said:

I'd have to to think after this week most of the drought watches get lifted from PA. Let's hope.

Drought watches? I live in the western part of the state, and I can't for the life of me fathom how we'd have any risk of a drought here for the past 6 months or so. It seems like we've had precipitation at least every other day here since last summer! I guess the contrast really is that stark between this part of the state and the rest of it.

19 hours ago, sauss06 said:

totally not on topic but Maytown or Nut, do either of you know a mechanic around Millersville U that you trust? i may need to get an alternator on my daughters car, instead of towing it home.

Here you go bud.  Bout 5 min from campus.  Tell him one of Matt's buddies sent you there. 

M E Blevins Auto Repair
Address: 315 Sprecher Rd, Lancaster, PA 17603
Phone: (717) 872-6510

Here's a GIF of some of the experimental data from the new GOES 16 satellite..showing our next system developing in the midwest (might take a minute for the loop to roll smoothly). This particular product is a mid-level WV loop. College of Dupage has this and also a few IR and visible products available as well as several zoomed in regions. The northern Mid-Atlantic region has PA nicely centered and close-up. The resolution is very impressive and you can really visualize features in motion with 5 min frames. This is also just an inkling of the capabilities of this new satellite. Tracking tropical, severe, and winter storms should be interesting as it becomes officially operational. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES16-Water%20Vapor-03:52Z-20

On 4/4/2017 at 10:47 AM, pasnownut said:
Here you go bud.  Bout 5 min from campus.  Tell him one of Matt's buddies sent you there. 

M E Blevins Auto Repair
Address: 315 Sprecher Rd, Lancaster, PA 17603
Phone: (717) 872-6510

Thank you, but we actually had it brought home early yesterday morning on a roll back to our guy. I appreciate it though. 

How active is Thursday going to be with storms as the front comes through? Are we at high risk?

I am usually just a lurker but today I have something to share.  

On Sunday I visited the Brandon Park snowpiles (the City of Williamsport's snow dumping grounds) to see how they were faring.  All the other piles I had seen were gone by Tuesday of last week (although several didn't go until overnight on Monday).  Much to my surprise, after 2-1/2 weeks they were still there and big.  The highest point of the biggest one was well over five feet.  Today I took another look.  While most of the piles were greatly diminished or gone, there were still a number remaining.  The highest point of the biggest one was five feet or less.  

So after three weeks of melt, with temperatures well over 32 day after day, they just don't want to die.  That wouldn't be so amazing if we'd gotten over 30" like some did but we only got about 18".  I will try to get back after the big rains tomorrow for another observation.  I assume that there will still be something left on Friday or Saturday.  I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to see this much snow in April or to see snow that fell on March 14 still around on April 5.   

Is anybody else still seeing snow where they are?  

12 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

CTP seems pretty confident that after the heavy rain & possible thunderstorms, many outside of the LSV should see a mix or change to wet snow by Friday am. 

The current radar looks to be loading up in the Midwest. It should be an interesting storm to watch unfold across our region.

quite the thunder around 4 am wasn't. sounded like a bowling ball rolling across the top of the mountain. 

With all this rain and the temps getting at or near 80 next week the grass we be growin like a mofo

15 hours ago, CoralRed said:

I am usually just a lurker but today I have something to share.  

On Sunday I visited the Brandon Park snowpiles (the City of Williamsport's snow dumping grounds) to see how they were faring.  All the other piles I had seen were gone by Tuesday (although several didn't go until overnight on Monday).  Much to my surprise, after 2-1/2 weeks they were still there and big.  The highest point of the biggest one was well over five feet.  Today I took another look.  While most of the piles were greatly diminished or gone, there were still a number remaining.  The highest point of the biggest one was five feet or less.  

So after three weeks of melt, with temperatures well over 32 day after day, they just don't want to die.  That wouldn't be so amazing if we'd gotten over 30" like some did but we only got about 18".  I will try to get back after the big rains tomorrow for another observation.  I assume that there will still be something left on Friday or Saturday.  I don't know when I'll have another opportunity to see this much snow in April or to see snow that fell on March 14 still around on April 5.   

Is anybody else still seeing snow where they are?  

Yes. There is a church parking lot between Manheim and Mt Joy here in Lancaster county that had a pile I'd estimate at 4' high as of last evening. 

59 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

quite the thunder around 4 am wasn't. sounded like a bowling ball rolling across the top of the mountain. 

With all this rain and the temps getting at or near 80 next week the grass we be growin like a mofo

My grass has already needed cut twice. It's going to be one of those springs where I'm out mowing every other day I think. 

Hope everyone enjoyed the drought busting rain we just had. Nothing like having the entire office staring at your work area during a Tornado warning. Felt like I was a gerbil in a cage being watched lol. All good down here thankfully. Tornadoes confirmed to my SE into D.C. area though. Fun stuff.

Just checking in to remind anyone that wants to attend a get together this spring/summer to PM me contact info like email so we can start a chain email to plan something out. I have a few people so far and would love to have at least 5 to get the ball rolling. Looks like weather will warm back up by next week with ridging sliding east with pretty significant height rises into the 570+ dm for many. Looking forward to it! Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a very interesting couple of days of weather. It began with 2 massive booms of thunder around 4 am on Thursday that woke up the family. Then we had the monsoon all day Thursday. Yesterday there were a few snow & sleet showers that featured maybe the last snow flakes that I will see until next season. I am looking forward to the warm up over the next few days.

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It's been a very interesting couple of days of weather. It began with 2 massive booms of thunder around 4 am on Thursday that woke up the family. Then we had the monsoon all day Thursday. Yesterday there were a few snow & sleet showers that featured maybe the last snow flakes that I will see until next season. I am looking forward to the warm up over the next few days.

I saw a few stray flakes as well yesterday around 7am. 

i guess that's the official unofficial wrap on the winter season. When you are looking forward to the warmup...it's over. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived