Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Do you think these sensitive models have difficulty with these unusual storms? or is that an understatement?

It's a highly complex and convoluted setup with a large degree of change in the outcome with minor shifts. Models aren't designed to get all of these correct, that's why they're considered forecast tools only. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It's a highly complex and convoluted setup with a large degree of change in the outcome with minor shifts. Models aren't designed to get all of these correct, that's why they're considered forecast tools only. 

I remember Dr Sobel saying, in snowstorms, no matter what happens, someone will be disappointed, either the snow weenies or those who hate the stuff....

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

In addition you have to look at the actual pattern and not just the models.

The swings are getting more pronounced in the last 18 hrs than the last 4 days in the individual models.  The euro moved more in the last 2 runs than it has since Thursday and same with the gfs.  

No way can you discount these solutions IMO.  

Time me to cancel?  No.  We've seen wobbles in modeling but we have also seen whiffs correctly modeled.

8 minutes ago, Animal said:

What models...most seem to be cutting back from the 12-20 totals being provided yesterday.

Such storms with 20+ used to be extremely rare....they have become more common but still do not represent the norm. 10 inches would be a good storm for March.

9 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I am dreading some of the over reactions later if some of the 00z model runs are bad. Ugh

Maybe it won't be an over reaction

There's always waffling around like this until the very end. People shouldn't overreact. The storm we had on 1/6 was well southeast on most models until 48 hours out. Storms at the end this year have ended up on the northwest end of guidance, so I wouldn't be freaking out. And the GFS/Euro are still very respectable storms near the city/coast. 8-12" in those areas is nothing to sneeze at. 

10 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Yeah not sure what everyone is seeing.

20"-30" looking less and less likely. 

only a couple models have that much.

20-30" was never likely at all for a storm booking NE like this one. At best it looks like a beefier version of the 2/9 storm. The 12-18" Upton has is probably what we see with the ramped up models. 20"+ is unlikely from this IMO. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

20-30" was never likely at all for a storm booking NE like this one. At best it looks like a beefier version of the 2/9 storm. The 12-18" Upton has is probably what we see with the ramped up models. 20"+ is unlikely from this IMO. 

As long as we hold onto 1.25-1.5 precip totals we'll be fine.  20" in March would be really difficult to get in this era

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Bernie rayno thinks NYC points north and east are a lock...doesn't like models showing such a a lack of precip on the western shield...these dynamics should be pouring moisture in to eveyon from NYC, NEPA, NNJ, and Hudson valley... however the heavier precip is extremely confined 

IMG_2408.PNG

I think dynamics are key to expanding heavier precipitation north and west.  This doesn't sound like a very compact system.

Just now, WintersGrasp said:

How was the 12z UK for NNJ/NYC? I took a quick look and it seemed similar to the Euro track, but tough to tell with the hours during meat of the system not shown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The two ENS and UK OP he mentioned were all really good for the area with the storm tracking across the elbow of the Cape.

Archived