Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Always neat to see mesoscale changes in foliation. I don't radiate at all and I notice my oaks much more advanced than my parents. It's not huge, but noticeable. I'm talking same species too.

Cool yeah I love that stuff.

See it a lot in the fall too.  Cold hollows (even like microscale depressions in the terrain such as river gullies) always change colors earlier in the fall too, with the cold nighttime pockets.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Cool yeah I love that stuff.

See it a lot in the fall too.  Cold hollows (even like microscale depressions in the terrain such as river gullies) always change colors earlier in the fall too, with the cold nighttime pockets.

Yeah. I guess being near water and on a hill.....it's very rare to go calm. At least there's always a breeze in the warm season lol.

All of my birds were around today. Male and female orioles, rose breasted grosbeak, red bellied woodpecker, hummers, and then the usual local feeder birds. I lost a chicken today though which is a bummer. She had some kind of reproductive issue that probably led to ascites and pressure on her organs.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Even this current airmass only bottomed out at 21F.  20F a month from now is crazy.

Don't get started on snowfall there, I'll write like Tippy paragraphs.

Theu didn't even record a trace the other day when I was hiking up in those snow squalls that had at least an inch and that was in the afternoon near their obs time.  I've got photos of my dog rolling in fresh snow and videos of squalls while if I look at the records it says 0.0, not even T.  These past few days the best guess would be around 3" up there that was recorded as 0.3".  I mean there was 0.3" down to 1500ft, but that's what the record will show for the summit.

Though I will say I've never seen more than 5" fall and have them record a trace...that time was an October event that fell overnight and was mostly gone by the 5pm obs time.  

If I see a trace in the records it could be up to 3" just based on what I've seen from them, but unlikely to be any higher.  Not saying 3" fell in that one but just sort of that's what their records mean to me...Trace is T-3" zone.  

Even still, that map looks like a 4+" type deal with flow and temps.  

Random but I'm pretty sure their all-time record low of 26F for July is bogus. The airmass wasn't supportive of anything that cold based on sounding data. I can't find the MWN min for the date, but Pinkham Notch only fell to 50F. 

The trace of snow in July of 79 is legit though. That was a pretty cold airmass for July standards.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought so, but I needed to get a closer look. I definitely have some birds I don't see often so I'll pay more attention. Pretty sure I have your grosbeaks too based on their song. 

I couldn't even tell you what their song is...I'd have to look it up. The white throated sparrows on the other hand are easy to make out although I haven't heard them as much this week.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I couldn't even tell you what their song is...I'd have to look it up. The white throated sparrows on the other hand are easy to make out although I haven't heard them as much this week.

Yeah I looked it up and recognized it. At least I assume it's them.

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Last years start to May was colder

First week of last May was absolutely horrific...but then we torched pretty hard after that. We were -8 after the first week and then still managed to squeak above normal for the month. Prob won't happen this year though since the cold is lasting longer.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

First week of last May was absolutely horrific...but then we torched pretty hard after that. We were -8 after the first week and then still managed to squeak above normal for the month. Prob won't happen this year though since the cold is lasting longer.

Just providing perspective MTD. Looks like we could get some real torch days coming up. The progressive flow is back so there will be some crap days too but think we begin to summer a little.

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Must have been this airmass...kind of hard to believe for June (We'd be discussing good dendritic growth temps in the upslope regions if this happened today)

The "T" I saw was at 520'.  At 1000+ west/south of Allagash, there was 1-2".  A couple of our foresters were out taking some measurements on standing trees, and had to quit when their hands chilled to the point of not being able to write.

They are another one I think under-reports quite a bit...but no real way to verify I guess in any other manner. 

Accurate snowfall measurements on MWN is a good illustration of mission impossible.  Where else does more than 20 feet fall in an average winter without ever getting much over 2 feet deep?
Edit:  They've recorded depths up to 42", but I counted 527 days with more than 24" in 69 years (16-17 winter not included yet), or about 8 per year.  The 98" recorded in Feb. '69's "hundred hour storm" boosted the pack from 21" all the way to 26".  :lol:

Archived