Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

Just now, CoastalWx said:

:lol:

Those are anomalies, so beware pretty colors. Just like when Someone posts that we have blocking over Greenland, but it's still cyclonic flow, just AN heights. It's unfortunate, but we background warm.

.....But when the reds are over eastern Mass, its the real deal. Anywhere good, and its becuase it was colder 346 years ago.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

.....But when the reds are over eastern Mass, its the real deal. Anywhere good, and its becuase it was colder 346 years ago.

LOL, well you still get a sense of blocking when you have those deeper oranges and reds. I think Nick was just saying to keep that in mind with some of the more subtle AN heights. Personally, I can still get a sense of those maps. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We are conditioned to expect a dearth of NAO blocking...so lets think of what else the reds near Greenland could represent lol

hey...im paraphrasing hm.  Its just something he noticed.  It does make some sense. Im generally on the good train, but this stuff is grey area/voo doo in the end.  It's a guessing game. 

42 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

If I had to pick 3 analogs, I think I'd go with 1995-1996, 2000-2001, and 2005-2006.  They represent the best matches in enso, amo, pdo, and qbo, especially if the pacific stays on the warmer side. 

At least all 3 had a good December (for interior anyways). 2005-2006 diverges wildly after that though.

Even though the winter of 2005-2006 was mild, it did feature above normal snowfall. That winter also had strong noreasters such as December 9, 2005 and February 12, 2006. I think there was also an easterly flow event on January 3, 2006 that featured significant snow in the interior. March 2006 had a significant late season snow event south of the pike.

22 minutes ago, TheCloser24 said:

Even though the winter of 2005-2006 was mild, it did feature above normal snowfall. That winter also had strong noreasters such as December 9, 2005 and February 12, 2006. I think there was also an easterly flow event on January 3, 2006 that featured significant snow in the interior. March 2006 had a significant late season snow event south of the pike.

That Jan 3, 2006 event was awful here....ssts killed me.

1 minute ago, Powderboy413 said:

Pretty significant changes from 6z to 12z GEFS 500mb at day 10. Models seem confused if there should be ridging near AK or not. I suspect they will continue to do this for the next two weeks. One positive I see is that there is still ridging near Greenland

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_41.png

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_42.png

Does the Euro shows ridging near Greenland too?.

has anyone done a roll-forward analysis off a +5 or even +9 October ? 

'Course, I'm beginning to wonder if this October is uniquely hot - as in, historically so.  Like, no one would know what the ensuing winter did off this sort of October because, heh, it's never happened.  MOS/GFSX is pushin' 20 over climate for Sat/Sun with two days to go, so ... we could be sporting low 80s those afternoons. And I wonder if the nights are too low in those numbers given to this processed air mass with creeping DPs ... yes it will decouple some with the long nights but that's a long way to go and I suspect if the highs and synoptics pan out, with high pressure firmly situated S and counter flow continental breezes ... 44 seems a little deep. 

We'll see... but I'm still wondering what the ensuing winters did off the top 10 warm Octobers.  My guess is 6 out of 10 of them were warmer than normal, leaving enough suggestion in the other way to spark the perfunctory vitriol.  

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

has anyone done a roll-forward analysis off a +5 or even +9 October ? 

'Course, I'm beginning to wonder if this October is uniquely hot - as in, historically so.  Like, no one would know what the ensuing winter did off this sort of October because, heh, it's never happened.  MOS/GFSX is pushin' 20 over climate for Sat/Sun with two days to go, so ... we could be sporting low 80s those afternoons. And I wonder if the nights are too low in those numbers given to this processed air mass with creeping DPs ... yes it will decouple some with the long nights but that's a long way to go and I suspect if the highs and synoptics pan out, with high pressure firmly situated S and counter flow continental breezes ... 44 seems a little deep. 

We'll see... but I'm still wondering what the ensuing winters did off the top 10 warm Octobers.  My guess is 6 out of 10 of them were warmer than normal, leaving enough suggestion in the other way to spark the perfunctory vitriol.  

I checked ORH...there's 6 Octobers that were +5 or greater. The following winters don't show much trend:

WarmOctobers.png

Archived