joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll keep this in banter where it belongs, but I think the "we need to keep things classy, this is a public board zomgg!" stuff is silly at best, given that you let the guy literally with this as his avatar:

photo-1705.gif

openly troll the board. 

Obviously no hard feelings mattie g, I just didn't know I'd strike such a nerve with a your mom joke. I know we were all losers in middle school and those jokes cut deep for some, but I thought by now we could be beyond it. Anyway, I won't make any more stupid jokes, but I hope the mods do a better job of disallowing overt trolling of things like "HOPE YOU ENJOY COLD RAIN DERP DERP DERP" in model and event threads. 

4 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

I'll keep this in banter where it belongs, but I think the "we need to keep things classy, this is a public board zomgg!" stuff is silly at best, given that you let the guy literally with this as his avatar:

photo-1705.gif

openly troll the board. 

Obviously no hard feelings mattie g, I just didn't know I'd strike such a nerve with a your mom joke. I know we were all losers in middle school and those jokes cut deep for some, but I thought by now we could be beyond it. Anyway, I won't make any more stupid jokes, but I hope the mods do a better job of disallowing overt trolling of things like "HOPE YOU ENJOY COLD RAIN DERP DERP DERP" in model and event threads. 

feel free to ignore whatever warnings you want. 

21 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

photo-1705.gif

openly troll the board. 

Ok I can understand your frustration, however you have to keep this in perspective. First you haven't been banned (yet) or fined or threatened or arrested. You were just told to tone it down. So chill out. Your making it worse by being confrontational. I've crossed lines before. And in my younger days escalated it because I didn't realize I should just say oops and calm down. Second your argument here is intellectually lazy. Basically "look someone else did it too". Two wrongs don't make a right. 

Some are getting a little chippy. But being told to stop something or tone it down shouldn't be taken as a slap in the face. Just tone it down and stop turning it into a big deal. 

27 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

photo-1705.gif

openly troll the board. 

You're hurting my feelings.

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok I can understand your frustration, however you have to keep this in perspective. First you haven't been banned (yet) or fined or threatened or arrested. You were just told to tone it down. So chill out. Your making it worse by being confrontational. I've crossed lines before. And in my younger days escalated it because I didn't realize I should just say oops and calm down. Second your argument here is intellectually lazy. Basically "look someone else did it too". Two wrongs don't make a right. 

Some are getting a little chippy. But being told to stop something or tone it down shouldn't be taken as a slap in the face. Just tone it down and stop turning it into a big deal. 

Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains. 

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains. 

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

:rolleyes:  If you think that I was trying to create a storm with a your mom joke, you're giving me waaaaaay too much credit. I was trying to "dance in the rain" with my sense of humor, which I'm guessing as caustic millenial sarcasm doesn't translate well to GenX sensibility. Or something. Honestly, I was just shocked at the "way out of line, get it together you sicko" response. I've been reading this board for 4 years and not posting, I decided to hop in this year.  I have actually been pleasantly surprised that people have interacted with me postively thus far (except for Mattie G, but his role is the accepted troll). In previous years, I watched new posters get ignored or get treated with disdain, so I avoided joining.  It's apparent that amwx mid-atlantic is just like every other well-used internet forum. There are standard roleplayers - godlike authorities, queen bees, comic relief, trolls. Intrusion into standard roleplayers' turf causes a negative reaction - it plays out everywhere in comment threads, forums, etc on any subject. The conversation here is generally between about 10-20 regulars who mostly talk to each other, and occassionally respond to the input of non-regulars.  That's fine, that's how a good forum generally works - you need regulars to have an ongoing conversation. It makes everyone feel like they're part of something. That said, I'm not going to back off of this, because I think the board response from the higher ups and respecteds was telling. Mattie G was overtly trolling. I responded with a caustic and silly joke. Instead of rebuking Mattie G for his obvious trolling, I got rebuked for making a stupid joke. I saw a post the other day, mappy, where you were yourself telling him to be nicer to people. I get his ultra-realist stance of "it's not going to snow inside the beltway," because I've been living inside the beltway since 2010 and I get it. He chose to pick on me, did it, I reacted in a similarly non-constructive fashion, and mods/authorities responded by rebuking me. I mean literally, he just trolled me again, a few posts up from this one:

17 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Those of us around DC know fully what is going to happen tonight, but we can't help but watch the models and hope that the 15:1 ratios at 40F play out.

Good luck to us all. We can do it!

I get that this is a banter thread and within-reason trolling is allowed here. The mods generally do a good job here - I agree with PSU's statement. However, I'd challenge it as an obvious outsider, because I have nothing to lose. PSU, I don't feel that this was a slap in the face. I get that people want to keep banter and insults out of model and discussion threads, and off the board generally. I acknowledge that responding to a troll with trolling is not productive, and of course two wrongs don't make a right. But allowing continuous trolling doesn't make a right either. 

3 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

:rolleyes:  If you think that I was trying to create a storm with a your mom joke, you're giving me waaaaaay too much credit. I was trying to "dance in the rain" with my sense of humor, which I'm guessing as caustic millenial sarcasm doesn't translate well to GenX sensibility. Or something. Honestly, I was just shocked at the "way out of line, get it together you sicko" response. I've been reading this board for 4 years and not posting, I decided to hop in this year.  I have actually been pleasantly surprised that people have interacted with me postively thus far (except for Mattie G, but his role is the accepted troll). In previous years, I watched new posters get ignored or get treated with disdain, so I avoided joining.  It's apparent that amwx mid-atlantic is just like every other well-used internet forum. There are standard roleplayers - godlike authorities, queen bees, comic relief, trolls. Intrusion into standard roleplayers' turf causes a negative reaction - it plays out everywhere in comment threads, forums, etc on any subject. The conversation here is generally between about 10-20 regulars who mostly talk to each other, and occassionally respond to the input of non-regulars.  That's fine, that's how a good forum generally works - you need regulars to have an ongoing conversation. It makes everyone feel like they're part of something. That said, I'm not going to back off of this, because I think the board response from the higher ups and respecteds was telling. Mattie G was overtly trolling. I responded with a caustic and silly joke. Instead of rebuking Mattie G for his obvious trolling, I got rebuked for making a stupid joke. I saw a post the other day, mappy, where you were yourself telling him to be nicer to people. I get his ultra-realist stance of "it's not going to snow inside the beltway," because I've been living inside the beltway since 2010 and I get it. He chose to pick on me, did it, I reacted in a similarly non-constructive fashion, and mods/authorities responded by rebuking me. I mean literally, he just trolled me again, a few posts up from this one:

I am going to say this as nicely as I can. You do not know me. Do not presume that you know what my signature quotes mean and do not throw them back in my face thinking you may have won some game of gotcha in order to try and defend yourself over a really classless post. 

If you cannot handle being told to cut the **** and get it together, then don't act out to begin with. 

Your "joke" was too far. And the fact that you won't back off and move on from it, speaks a lot to your character. 

This is my last post to you on the subject. How you decide to act from here on out, is on you. Take care. 

We've more or less been told that unless we are in storm mode to allow some free flowing convo even in storm threads.  so we try to strike a delicate balance of being hands off but not letting it get too out of hand.  We aren't absolute but there comes a time when we wish people would show some self restraint when it matters and that doesn't happen.

Yes, new posters can get treated rough when they start posting but thats due to either coming in guns blazing or not making good posts.  When initial requests are made to get the vibe of things are made and they respond back poorly then thats when it will not go well for them.  For whatever reason, the wx weenie community functions on a learn the ropes first attitude.  know your stuff and contribute.  thats been the general rule for me.  I didn't know jack when I first started so i read and kept quiet.  i learned from some good posters and didn't cause issues.  i still don't post a ton letting more knowledgeable ones take that role.  

All we are really asking is that people think before posting jsut a little and not make it so that we have to then decide if something should stay or go.  That when people get pissed thinking that every thought nugget they have should stay no matter who said what before.  some posters get leeway, some don't.  thats just the way it is.  But even vets get posts slammed by mods if they go too far.

people don't have to post here if they dont like it 

28 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

I get that this is a banter thread and within-reason trolling is allowed here. The mods generally do a good job here - I agree with PSU's statement. However, I'd challenge it as an obvious outsider, because I have nothing to lose. PSU, I don't feel that this was a slap in the face. I get that people want to keep banter and insults out of model and discussion threads, and off the board generally. I acknowledge that responding to a troll with trolling is not productive, and of course two wrongs don't make a right. But allowing continuous trolling doesn't make a right either. 

Trolling? Trolling is for the birds. Besides, you have a far too high view of yourself if you think I'd waste a moment of my time to troll you. And how could the post you quoted possibly be viewed as having been a troll post? Get over yourself.

I've been on the boards for a long time and (most) folks know that I generally joke around - particularly gallows humor. And given the crappiness of this winter, there's more of it flowing now. But that doesn't excuse a sh*tty, lowbrow Mom joke as a comeback, and then a continual attempt to dig an even deeper grave for yourself.

You have no idea why and when I made the hernia boy my avatar, so step back from that ledge.

And be more like Elsa.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Trolling? Trolling is for the birds.

I've been on the boards for a long time and (most) folks know that I generally joke around - particularly gallows humor. And given the crappiness of this winter, there's more of it flowing now. But that doesn't excuse a sh*tty Mom joke as a comeback, and then a continual attempt to dig an even deeper grave for yourself.

You have no idea why and when I made the hernia boy my avatar, so step back from that ledge.

And be more like Elsa.

Wait, I thought the "hernia boy avatar" was someone playing a guitar...or very excited to be playing one! :lol:

I do sort of recall you put that avatar up there last year right in time for the blizzard, correct?

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Trolling? Trolling is for the birds.

I've been on the boards for a long time and (most) folks know that I generally joke around - particularly gallows humor. And given the crappiness of this winter, there's more of it flowing now. But that doesn't excuse a sh*tty Mom joke as a comeback, and then a continual attempt to dig an even deeper grave for yourself.

And be more like Elsa.

So generally joking in your book is responding to harmless, hopeful posts from noobs with disdain and venom? You're right, this winter does suck, I'll give you that.

I think we could probably both benefit from being more like Elsa. You let go your desire to bring down others' hopes, and I'll let go my perfectly reasonable desire to defend myself with jokes when provoked.  As to hernias... no comment

@Paleocene

Let me try and explain this briefly. You are missing the context. My circle of friends and myself say ungodly terrible things to each other on a regular basis. And they're funny as hell of course. But there's a difference between saying them around a campfire with a 30 pack and nobody in earshot and saying them in a crowded airport ticket line. Breaking out the F'n your mom line in a storm thread when it's loaded to the gills with lurkers and strangers completely lacked tact and class. I'm sorry you can't see it this way but I guarantee the 500+ other people that had the pleasure to read it did. 

So mattie pokes a mini troll post. Big deal. It wasn't offensive in any way shape or form. But your retort was offense. Very offensive. See the difference? Your comparison is apples to oranges. 

This forum has a social circle of people who have been joking with each other for 10+ years. The same social rules apply here as they do in real life. If you walk into a bar and get talking to a group of friends who have known each other for 10 years, breaking out the f'n your mom line isn't going to work. Sure, they can say it to each other all night and laugh. But some stranger that nobody really knows should know better than saying something like that. 

You keep saying you need to defend yourself. Fine. Defend yourself. But the f'n your mom line isn't defending yourself. It makes you look like a complete tool with a bad temper.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived