joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

You guys are brutal.  4 inches of 30-1 fluff that has no tangible effect on anything.  Do you really think it was worth an advisory?

Yeah that styrofoan that will blow away if you so much as look at it may mean something to record-keepers, but there's no point in highlighting it for the general public.

33 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Considering how much it affected travel this morning, I'd say it was worth a headline of sorts. Also there are plenty of times where a WWA was issued and almost nothing fell...

So here is the real philosophical question then.  If they had issued an advisory would it have made any difference?  The answer is almost always no.  The roads would still be messy, people would still drive like idiots, and that's that.  Watches, warnings, advisories, how much do they really do?  It certainly depends on the scenario, but hoisting an advisory for a 4 inch snowfall, in a known snowbelt, during the end of January is like posting a heat advisory in Arizona in August.  Who cares....Its routine business.

35 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

So here is the real philosophical question then.  If they had issued an advisory would it have made any difference?  The answer is almost always no.  The roads would still be messy, people would still drive like idiots, and that's that.  Watches, warnings, advisories, how much do they really do?  It certainly depends on the scenario, but hoisting an advisory for a 4 inch snowfall, in a known snowbelt, during the end of January is like posting a heat advisory in Arizona in August.  Who cares....Its routine business.

Then what's the point of issuing advisories in the first place? A philosophical question indeed - I guess the NWS should reopen discussions regarding public communications... ;)

18 hours ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

When I saw your post the other day I laughed when you said you were from Staten Island as I'm from Bloomingdale rd and Amboy rd myself, lol, small world cuz!

Nice bro!, small world indeed.. I grew up mostly in the port Richmond part of SI but I have lived all over..

Euro and Canadian both look great over the next 5-7 days but wether that comes to fruition is another story lol Looks like a westerly flow (what else is new) with bouts of WNW ..

u can see some "greens" popping up on radar from time to time indicated some heavier snow burst..

IMG_0429.PNG

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Snowing pretty hard here too. Looks like about an inch so far. Funny how we have to wait until the band is on it's last legs before we get into it. 

About same here, around an inch so far. Closer to 2" up in phoenix where i just was.  This'll be our fate for the next week it appears. An inch or two here and there till the pattern changes again. Maybe 6-8" or so for the week is my guesstimate, for our area.

18 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I've accepted this yrs fate so hopefully we hit triple digits!

We will get to 100" here i think. Granted, it may be like chinese water torture getting there and likely will require a solid March and who knows, maybe April as i am at about 64" now IMBY for season.

52 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Nice to see a "widespread" light snow moving thru the area this morning.  Seems almost impossible for non-lake effect snow to fall across Upstate NY the last 2 winters.  It shouldn't be this hard...

I was just thinking about that this morning.... I can't remember the last time we had a nice synoptic snow of 12"+ across most of upstate. It's unreal. 

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

I was just thinking about that this morning.... I can't remember the last time we had a nice synoptic snow of 12"+ across most of upstate. It's unreal. 

Well, don't look at the GFS for next week then...its advertising another lakes cutter for mid next week.  Gotta hope that doesn't actually happen or winter cancel calls will be flowing like water...;)

12 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Well, don't look at the GFS for next week then...its advertising another lakes cutter for mid next week.  Gotta hope that doesn't actually happen or winter cancel calls will be flowing like water...;)

Lots of meltdowns ongoing in other forums b/c of that GFS and now the Candadian run for next week.  A torch cutter for next week would just be a continuation of the trend all winter.  Get some cold and decent snow for about a week, then watch it all wash away as quick as it came.  

Archived