joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

4k Nam would be an icy interior

For Orange County a frustrating late January rain storm with temperatures 33-35 throughout the event. I can't remember the last time I saw a storm bring strong NNE winds in this time period and  bring 90% rain to the HV. Yeah there's a few periods in there may mix with or briefly change to snow but no accumulations IMO.

Is my frustration showing. I loathe this storm already and it's still 48 hours away. I'm sure the F'n high winds will cause me to lose power at some point.

Cold wind driven rain in January, it honestly doesn't get any worse or more frustrating than this.

20 minutes ago, ag3 said:

Guys. Tidbits and Wxbell count sleet as snow. There are layers that are torched for everyone, including interior.

This is a non-weenie snow map:

IMG_7621.GIF

Thank you. Those tidbits maps count sleet and snow on a 10-1. Only snow maps that should be used are the kuchera. Those maps accurate depict the ptype and ratio at that time 

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Thank you. Those tidbits maps count sleet and snow on a 10-1. Only snow maps that should be used are the kuchera. Those maps accurate depict the ptype and ratio at that time 

Instantweathermaps are also accurate and also meteocentre has a sleet setting.

5 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

and why exactly would that be ridiculous??..you do know weather can be unpredictable at times. it's a funky setup really,but it's not too far away from being a wet snow maker for everyone,even at the coast.

It's actually pretty awful. The high is in a bad position for our area. The airmass is equivalent to one from late march. The low track is going into West Virginia before the secondary takes over. 

16 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

3k Nam is a significant sleet/ice storm up this way, little if any snow

2rzx89d.jpg

Sleet is most commonly 2 or 3:1 ratios, this would be 3-5" of pure sleet if 3k Nam were correct, possibly 6" in the high elevations in northern Ulster 

edit: obviously with sleet compaction it would certainly not seem like 3-5"

I don't even see much sleet with this storm. It's going to be 99% rain for everyone except those with significant elevation.

Archived