joxey
1/17-1/18 Paste Job/ Icy Mix obs

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Cool, I've never seen that before.

I can confirm here in Yarmouth, Maine (10 miles north of Portland) that this OES is having an impact in recent minutes. Light-steady snow with larger clumps mixing in. Picking up in the last 20 minutes or so. Hoping it holds for a little while at least.

QPF was not the problem. The problem was the fractured precip shield. I mentioned this concern yesterday afternoon and how it would produce lower snowfall amounts of it didn't get organized overnight. ORH ended up with over 6 tenths of QPF. 

This was a QPF queen storm in reverse. The concerns were that the models were overdoing the snow because we didn't have a nice organized midlevel structure...the anti mid-level magic system. It wouldn't have been as big of a deal if the temps were in the mid 20s but in a marginal airmass it mattered. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro temps were ok actually. The snow algorithms were off...but I have no idea how it's calculated. It's tough for me to compare euro to other models like GFS/NAM etc where I cannot dissect the atmosphere on the euro like I can with GFS/NAM.

Yes...that's all I meant. The snowfall output had me over 5" for a good stretch....I struggled to muster an inch of glop.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

QPF was not the problem. The problem was the fractured precip shield. I mentioned this concern yesterday afternoon and how it would produce lower snowfall amounts of it didn't get organized overnight. ORH ended up with over 6 tenths of QPF. 

This was a QPF queen storm in reverse. The concerns were that the models were overdoing the snow because we didn't have a nice organized midlevel structure...the anti mid-level magic system. It wouldn't have been as big of a deal if the temps were in the mid 20s but in a marginal airmass it mattered. 

Isn't there a correlation?

I mean....."we got enough precip, but the problem was the precip wasn't organized enough"??

Unless you mean light fall rates over a protracted stretch?

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Isn't there a correlation?

I mean....."we got enough precip, but the problem was the precip wasn't organized enough"??

Unless you mean light fall rates over a protracted stretch?

I cannot speak for areas further east but I'm pretty sure the light fall rates doomed this area.   The few times it cranked we snowed otherwise just light rain most of the evening with sleet mixed in.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I cannot speak for areas further east but I'm pretty sure the light fall rates doomed this area.   The few times it cranked we snowed otherwise just light rain most of the evening with sleet mixed in.

Same.....that must be what he means.

Not doubting Will at all....just want to enhance our understanding moving forward.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

This happened a few months ago when new server was brought online. Will this be resolved soon? I appreciate the efforts, but TT is way easier to use then mobile browser.

Agreed.  Browser is fine on my tablet, but on my phone the print is tiny when I use chrome.  Any suggestions other than getting a new phone (in the works) or getting my 62 year old eyes to work like new?

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

26F light snow   vis about 2-3 miles.    Snowfall  5.25"    Snow started when it was 32F and temps were in the high 20's for most of the event.  Bit of blowing and drifting.  Too cold up here for the snow to stick on branches etc. 

My guess is you had some wind?

Like here at 1,500ft it was snow in the 20s, and no wind so there's 5" on every tree branch.  We had great snow growth though which tends to stack up better on branches haha.

It was the combo of rather meager dynamics, lift below the DGZ, and temps very borderline allowing some QPF wasted by liquid or low ratios. So basically, you clawed your way to .5" QPF or whatever, but it was a very inefficient process to grab snow. These are the things that snow algorithms will puke on themselves with. 

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was the combo of rather meager dynamics, lift below the DGZ, and temps very borderline allowing some QPF wasted by liquid or low ratios. So basically, you clawed your way to .5" QPF or whatever, but it was a very inefficient process to grab snow. These are the things that snow algorithms will puke on themselves with. 

Yes...to answer Ray's question, the mid-levels and precip shield being ugly didn't cause QPF to be lower, it caused the QPF to fall in an inefficient manner. Occasional bursts where it would snow and accumulate, and then lighter rates in between with cruddy snow growth. If we had good dendrites the whole time then we end up with 4-6" easy...but the disorganized nature of it caused some pretty inefficient snow production. Like I said before, if we had a colder profile, then the disorganized nature wouldn't have hurt as nearly as much. With 850 temps of -10C, if we had periods of lift lower in the atmosphere, then we still would have racked up decent snow....hell, today would probably be a nice snow globe with a cold profile with the onshore flow.

Archived