Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It's the end of jan.... I think for most people the novelty of 1-2" events is gone. People want bigger ticket events at this point.

in November, sure... everyone would be happy for an inch or two.... now.. not so much 

You would have loved the 1980s and early 1990s. Anyone who grew up after that period is spoiled rotten...we used to be pumped for 2-4". 

I will never take the good times for granted again. Never know when a string of 1990-1991s are going to show up at the door. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

You would have loved the 1980s and early 1990s. Anyone who grew up after that period is spoiled rotten...we used to be pumped for 2-4". 

I will never take the good times for granted again. Never know when a string of 1990-1991s are going to show up at the door. 

The young weenies are so spoiled. Lord help them when those years come back. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The young weenies are so spoiled. Lord help them when those years come back. 

And they'll be back. Make no mistake. We had kind of a similar stretch in the 1930s through the early 1950s too.   

You probably had weenies back then who thought the bad days were done once the prolific stretch from the late 1950s though 1970s occurred...then 1979-1992 happened, lol. 

Anyways, can't really complain about the way guidance looks right now...including ensembles out in the long range too. 

The NAM is still mishandling the Monday surface cyclogenesis, we have seen convective feedback really interfere with disturbances this time of the year due to the baroclinic zone, and due to the upper level troughing.  Right now the models develop a surface reflection with the main H5 shortwave trough with the main bundle of energy, but also develop a surface low over the baroclinic zone.  Now I entertain the idea that the models are mishandling the transfer of energy and are placing too much emphasis on the baroclinic zone, rather than the upper level energy and troughing disturbance.  I bet any money on the fact that the models are still trending towards a bigger hit for Cape Cod where we will be talking about 1-3" on the Cape come MOnday afternoon.

I was a teenager in the 80's...remember it like it was yesterday!! Was an elementary school kid in 70's..and remember some of those incredible winters too!!  

I've seen it go from ice age talk in the 70's, to budding global warming ideas that began with the 80's sparse snow years.  

Just hope we can get in on some winter action of some sort starting this week?? Would love something towards the major side of things, but I'll take a 2 or 3 inch deal to start. After all, I remember the 80's very well!! 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Omg, this is sooo true!

I mean, ... the 1992 --> now period of time have people sort of ...I don't know if "entitled" is too strong of a word?  

I can remember being floored in 1987 in early February by a forecast for 1-3" to change to cold rain, and we ended up with one of those 10" grid-lockers.   I was like, "...10 inches" with the exhale.  That was the first time since moving from Michigan that I witnessed 3" in a single hour, too.  I was at Nashoba Valley skiing that afternoon, and they closed the slopes due to 0 visibility in straight down snow - well, that and the fact that thunder started rumbling.  Lightening and so forth...

Indeed, not much happened in the years that immediately followed.  Some busts here and there that proved good for the Cape.. but banality punished me into believing that was just the way of the world.  10 inches was just some kind of huge anomalous fluke.  I had developed an impression of living in SNE that was ... a bit of a dissension compared to lore! 

Then the 1990s hit.. seemed 3" /hour events started getting handed out like stand-bye lolly-pops before "perfect" this and "century" that... Seems that hasn't stopped really.  Nothing in the last 20 years reminds me of the 1980s.  Not much at all, really.

6 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

If the 80's show up again this site will be a ghost town.  Subscription drive fail like you read about. 

Heh, not really ... I mean, don't get me wrong; it should anyway - this is a pass-time that probably is a bit too obsessing. 

But, the subtext to all that is that folks would adapt and set their expectations accordingly.   A 3-6" storm would create the same hoopla and histrionics and ...that same sort of aroma of bipolar joy that the 20" deals do now.  It just may be hard to imagine such a scenario... but once one is forced to acclimate (and it really doesn't take that long) they learn to derive whatever they need out of less. 

Ha, it's like "snow affluenze" vs the guy off the boat that shines shoes and makes a fortune 500 company out of it -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh, not really ... I mean, don't get me wrong; it should anyway - this is a pass-time that probably is a bit too obsessing. 

But, the subtext to all that is that folks would adapt and set their expectations accordingly.   A 3-6" storm would create the same hoopla and histrionics and ...that same sort of aroma of bipolar joy that the 20" deals do now.  It just may be hard to imagine such a scenario... but once one is forced to acclimate (and it really doesn't take that long) they learn to derive whatever they need out of less. 

Ha, it's like "snow affluenze" vs the guy off the boat that shines shoes and makes a fortune 500 company out of it -

Yeah agreed. It would be a lot of bitching at first but eventually we'd all fall into "November syndrome" where the glamour of a 4" event is huge. 

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Would have to be another generation 

Nah I dont think so. People are salivating for 1-2" in November every year. Go with a string of ratters, you'd see expectations adjust quickly. I agree initially it would be a bunch of meltdowns the first couple winters. 

Let's hope we don't have to test our theories though. 

Isn't it a bit soon to assume that we're going to have a repeat of the 30s/50s/80s or that AGW is going to can winter in SNE forever? We've had some incredible winters in terms of storms and overall snowfall amounts recently and NNE seems not to be doing half bad this year. And, Oh yeah, it is January 28 not February 28 or March 28. 

But then again, maybe I'm wrong and we really will be planting palmettos on the waterfront in Boston by 2020.

Archived