Newest Member
    joxey
January Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Most models seem locked on this progressive solution, hate to say it, most guidance supports an OTS solution as of now

Wave 1 might be the best shot at accumulating snow. It looks to be slightly amping up as it gets closer, and it depends on how fast it can develop as it moves offshore. Wave 2 is turning into a sheared out mess on the models, and that will have to change to get snow this far north. 

Trends are slight but could be meaningful for the coast, if only the coast.  We still have a day or 2 to see a bigger change.

Without a real block we need the PNA to be more + than currently modeled.  Pattern is still progressive, so this will likely just be a close shave without bigger changes out west. 

14 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

Trends are slight but could be meaningful for the coast, if only the coast.  We still have a day or 2 to see a bigger change.

Without a real block we need the PNA to be more + than currently modeled.  Pattern is still progressive, so this will likely just be a close shave without bigger changes out west. 

Are you thinking we get a nuke bomb coming up the coast with widespread 18 to 24 plus lollipops

12z euro was definitely improved. Take a look at the difference in trough orientation at 96 as compared to yesterday's 12z run. The northern vort actually starts to interact with the southern vort around that time. Note the isobars in KY/TN. The southern SW is just a little too fast, but it's very close. The PNA spikes a little bit more as well, so the ridge out west looks more favorable as well. The result is a surface low closer to the coast, see the second image for comparison from yesterday. It looks similar to the UKIE overall - hopefully it's the beginning of a trend.

ecm2.gif

index.gif

22 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I hope it doesn't end up being like the La Nina snowstorm of Feb 1989, where Atlantic City got 20 inches of snow and we ended up with virga for 12 straight hours! (eastern LI got 2-5" in that one after everyone waited all day for the snow to start and all we had was overcast with virga.)  The forecast for 6-8" of snow for NYC didn't change until that evening, long before then everyone knew it was a bust.

40 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I hope it doesn't end up being like the La Nina snowstorm of Feb 1989, where Atlantic City got 20 inches of snow and we ended up with virga for 12 straight hours! (eastern LI got 2-5" in that one after everyone waited all day for the snow to start and all we had was overcast with virga.)  The forecast for 6-8" of snow for NYC didn't change until that evening, long before then everyone knew it was a bust.

We have 5 days for things to go either way and we will see more solutions than the ones we have.  It's not a great set up but worth watching. 

11 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

EPS looks way better than last nights run. As forky alluded to it has trended better with the PNA hence the westward shift. So far its the Euro/cmc/ukmet vs the gfs. Remember when we was rooting for the opposite just 2 days ago?

I've been forecasting for the SE U.S. and we have to be sort of careful on the Euro.  It really did some odd things down there from 78-90,  It really does not resemble the CMC/UKMET at all there because its a furnace for places like ATL/GSP while those douse them with snow.  Its way faster with no separation between the lead wave and the 2nd one which results in a slower cold push.  This ultimately impacts the entire solution up the coast, so I'm not if the Euro can be trusted here yet because I'm concerned the upstream situation from here in the SE/TN Valley may impact things.

38 minutes ago, mikemost said:

Not sure why my post was removed. Just noting that many members, as well as the mean show the LP center on the 12Z EPS is notably west of 0z.

don't take it personally. i deleted it because you were quoting a one liner that was blatantly wrong. i am enforcing zero tolerance toward posting wrong info

Archived