Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

7 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

U can't go by that ? U have to melt it . MY event total here is 1.97 (frozen stuff melted )

It wasn't an officially report... can everyone calm down... Jesus HC..... I could care less my total LE..... in my originally lost about my LE I had said it was a rough estimate based off that criteria and explained that... I never just came out and reported 3" of LE.......

And not to mention I was explaining ratios with Paragon, and was using my totals as an example.... in regards to snowfall equivalent maps.. so the 3" report is taken out of context also

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It wasn't an officially report... can everyone calm down... Jesus HC..... I could care less my total LE..... in my originally lost about my LE I had said it was a rough estimate based off that criteria and explained that... I never just came out and reported 3" of LE.......

Mans not to mention I was explaining ratios with Paragon, and was using my totals as an example.... in regards to snowfall equivalent maps.. so the 3" report is taken out of context also

Everyone is calm lol

I didn't mean to call you out, I was just curious... I love mesoscale phenomena in these storms and always look for localized precip maxima and such. 2:1 is a good starting place for sleet but it does vary quite a bit. My first round sleet only was 1.8:1, but as always, measuring frozen precip is somewhat subjective. I didn't wipe until after the first round was over, so settling and maybe some melting probably accounts for my high water content. Depending on measuring technique, pellet size/shape, etc., it can be 3:1 or 4:1.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I didn't mean to call you out, I was just curious... I love mesoscale phenomena in these storms and always look for localized precip maxima and such. 2:1 is a good starting place for sleet but it does vary quite a bit. My first round sleet only was 1.8:1, but as always, measuring frozen precip is somewhat subjective. I didn't wipe until after the first round was over, so settling and maybe some melting probably accounts for my high water content. Depending on measuring technique, pellet size/shape, etc., it can be 3:1 or 4:1.

I really didn't pay attention, like I said I was only using my sleet totals to explain snowmaps ratios and why they were showing 25" of snow in some spots on the nam... and using a 2:1 method, someone seeing 6" of sleet is at 3" liquid... not to say that my actuaL liquid event was really 3", it was just in theory

I really didn't pay attention, like I said I was only using my sleet totals to explain snowmaps ratios and why they were showing 25" of snow in some spots on the nam... and using a 2:1 method, someone seeing 6" of sleet is at 3" liquid... not to say that my actuaL liquid event was really 3", it was just in theory

Gotcha.

Those bands over SNE have really dissipated over the past hour. I may finally be done with this system.

2 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I had assumed with 4.8" of sleet being 2:1 ratio, I received nearly  2.5" last night alone... or is my math off?.... and another .25 rain today plus the 1.4" sleet after rain

snyx reported 3.8" sleet that's well over 1.2" alone

I had 2.8" of sleet & 0.6" of snow last night/this morning for a total of 3.4" for the event

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

What's more surprising to me is that you said you were near 3" of liquid for the storm. Was that from a core sample or gauge collecting all precip? I'm at 1.2" or so

My liquid total was 1.54". Only 2.0" total of mostly sleet and some snow. I'll have to calculate later how much my snowfall is below normal now. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

My liquid total was 1.54". Only 2.0" total of mostly sleet and some snow. I'll have to calculate later how much my snowfall is below normal now. 

20.0" ytd, which is close to my average which is 20.9" at this point so only .9" below average as of today.  You gotta love the staying power of sleet though.  I had 2.0" on the board yesterday and this morning after mostly rain yesterday and no measurable frozen I have 1.8" in the yard.  For those of you playing at home, snow pack is measured to the nearest 1/2" so my snow pack gets logged as 2" this morning. 

On 1/25/2017 at 7:33 PM, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Was just gonna post about this but wanted it to be on a few runs... GFS has had a feb 5/6 storm for a few days now. 

Is it just me, but do snow storms seem to happen more often around here in the February 5-6 time period?  It just seems like a very common time for snow events or storms based on memory.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, White Gorilla said:

Is it just me, but do snow storms seem to happen more often around here in the February 5-6 time period?  It just seems like a very common time for snow events or storms based on memory.

Seems to me like the jet stream is usually south of the Hudson Valley around that time...remember a few unfortunate storms barely missing out...maybe Poughkeepsie did better

37 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'll never understand the "start a thread for it" fetish. 

i think the model discussion thread I started should be used like a model banter.... cause that's all those storm threat threads turn into anyway.... is model run banter....and then an OBS thread for an event the day of... period.... but I think it gives people a sense of hope seeing " Feb 6 storm THREAT!!!!" lol

20 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Last nights low was another bust, 6 or so degrees above the forecasted low which was already 10 or so degrees above average. So discouraging. 

You need a good wind from the north. That would get you some snowgun effect snows.:P That would make it feel somewhat like winter.:snowing:

3 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

You need a good wind from the north. That would get you some snowgun effect snows.:P That would make it feel somewhat like winter.:snowing:

The tubing hill is a disaster, it's only been open one weekend. Hopefully it'll at least get cold enough for them to get some hours on the guns this week. It should but...

15 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Yup, I was outside with the dogs before and it felt like winter again.  27 for the low here.

It did feel cold today, yet that low of 27 is 10 degrees above the normal low for this time of year. Sad when you think about it that we now view that as cold this time of year. Just another reflection on this mild winter so far.

Archived