Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

11 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

I loved ISS! The football coach was watching all the delinquents in there! We got to eat lunch before everyone else ,as to not mingle with the general population! I think your idea for the thread gamble is great!

I'm still working on my hand-written copy of the dictionary.  I'm only just finishing M. :(

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

I'm still working on my hand-written copy of the dictionary.  I'm only just finishing M. :(

Lol! Anybody remember writing sentences as a punishment in elementary school , when you got in trouble!!?? I think my max penalty was 500x! I will not talk in class! The worst was having to write them on the chalkboard w/ chalk! Ahh , the good old days!

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol! Anybody remember writing sentences as a punishment in elementary school , when you got in trouble!!?? I think my max penalty was 500x! I will not talk in class! The worst was having to write them on the chalkboard w/ chalk! Ahh , the good old days!

Yeah, I heard that people who cut up used to have to write sentences all the time.  Also had to do extra work, clean up trash, stay after school, sit with their head down, and even got paddled once or twice.  Nowadays, teachers won't make kids write because they don't want them to hate writing.  So what's the punishment now?  Nothing.  Kids can do pretty much whatever they want!

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, I heard that people who cut up used to have to write sentences all the time.  Also had to do extra work, clean up trash, stay after school, sit with their head down, and even got paddled once or twice.  Nowadays, teachers won't make kids write because they don't want them to hate writing.  So what's the punishment now?  Nothing.  Kids can do pretty much whatever they want!

Sad but true!! I don't think they can even get a time-out in the corner at school! Don't want anybody's feelings hurt! Mom might sue! It really is sickening and the cause of why society is what it is today! Or one of many causes, if you will!

20 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Sad but true!! I don't think they can even get a time-out in the corner at school! Don't want anybody's feelings hurt! Mom might sue! It really is sickening and the cause of why society is what it is today! Or one of many causes, if you will!

I tend to agree. I got very creative my last few years. In fact, if I hadn't been at the same school for over 15 years and built a rep, I would probably have been fired several times.

11 hours ago, JoshM said:

I'm not jumping... just becoming cynical and bitter like mack.

Hey! I resemble that remark! But Jon, I think you might be on the ledge this morning! The most positive person in the world, would not find anything positive from overnight runs, ops or ensembles! But that beauty on the 8th should bring atleast 2-3" of soaking rain!

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Hey! I resemble that remark! But Jon, I think you might be on the ledge this morning! The most positive person in the world, would not find anything positive from overnight runs, ops or ensembles! But that beauty on the 8th should bring atleast 2-3" of soaking rain!

You'll be surprised, check the pattern thread! I posted a negative and a positive this morning! 

17 hours ago, jburns said:

I tend to agree. I got very creative my last few years. In fact, if I hadn't been at the same school for over 15 years and built a rep, I would probably have been fired several times.

There has been a major breakdown in what is allowed as discipline in the public school system at least here in my district.  The main problem as I it see is that parents would rather take on the superintendent than take on responsibility for their children's behavior.  Children are used to being able to shout down and argue with their parents and then bring that same attitude to school.  It's a shame.  My mom would have knocked my teeth out of my head if had ever talked to a teacher the way a lot of these kids try to talk to me.  

2 hours ago, gwlee7 said:

There has been a major breakdown in what is allowed as discipline in the public school system at least here in my district.  The main problem as I it see is that parents would rather take on the superintendent than take on responsibility for their children's behavior.  Children are used to being able to shout down and argue with their parents and then bring that same attitude to school.  It's a shame.  My mom would have knocked my teeth out of my head if had ever talked to a teacher the way a lot of these kids try to talk to me.  

Yep.  I've been there and done that. The thing is, I'd rather take on the parents than let crap go unpunished. Had some epic battles over the years. I was called to the Super's office now and then. I almost always came out fine because I was consistent in my methods.  99% of the time, after the battle, the parent and I would reach an understanding. It was an interesting way to make a living.

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Yep.  I've been there and done that. The thing is, I'd rather take on the parents than let crap go unpunished. Had some epic battles over the years. I was called to the Super's office now and then. I almost always came out fine because I was consistent in my methods.  99% of the time, after the battle, the parent and I would reach an understanding. It was an interesting way to make a living.

You and I would have enjoyed working together.  I have spent a large part of my career teaching "behavior" kids in a self contained class.  Those parents knew what they had and weren't the ones I have to worry about.  It's the disrespectful entitled "angel" that goes home and doesn't quite get the story right when they tell it.  I am fortunate to have administrators at my school that typically won't let a teenager run the place.

11 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Although I have several logistical issues, the lightning of the beacons (of Minas Tirith) is one of the coolest scenes in the LOTR trilogy.

1 hour ago, isohume said:

Hope is a dangerous thing. - Red

With all my free time from not looking at models been binge watching The 100.  Cool show...

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

I'm old and get behind on hip shows! Just binge-watched Breaking Bad last month! Lol! Good show, weird ending!

Me too :-)  

I haven't finished Breaking Bad yet...about half way done.  But yeah, great show.  Last summer I binge watched Lost...that was a great show.

Archived