joxey
2017 Banter Thread #1

jburns

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, NGTim said:

image.thumb.png.a148c47c42a31adca6c269cf09251f33.png

This is a first for me, having to clear snow before cleaning leaves out of the gutter.  This is a task i never even considered existed.   This was also about 5 days after the December snow here in N. GA.

Now you know.  How's the eves of your roof? Do you know if any water got inside your attic down your walls? Drywall damp near the ceiling? 

On 12/17/2017 at 7:23 AM, FLweather said:

Now you know.  How's the eves of your roof? Do you know if any water got inside your attic down your walls? Drywall damp near the ceiling? 

Not that i have noticed.   I had cleaned the gutters out a couple weeks before, so there wasn't really a jam.  the snow just covered the top and things were able to melt and go out as normal.  

My wife and I enjoyed our first go at cross-country skiing today in Jackson, NH. It's quite the workout but lots of fun! The car thermometer read 2° when we started this morning. Full sun and no wind actually made it quite bearable despite the low temp. Temp eventually got up to lows 20s before heading back down.

It's amazing how much a little latitude affects the sun angle too. The sun is down behind the mountains now at 3:50, and it will be completely dark by 4:30. Crazy!

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

My wife and I enjoyed our first go at cross-country skiing today in Jackson, NH. It's quite the workout but lots of fun! The car thermometer read 2° when we started this morning. Full sun and no wind actually made it quite bearable despite the low temp. Temp eventually got up to lows 20s before heading back down.

We were going to do the same thing here but the snow is just to darn deep. If you fall there's a chance you won't be able to get up. Not to mention the zero visibility from the blowing and drifting.

We are still hopeful to be able to build our Santa's Snow Castle in a few days because it is such a hit with all the neighborhood children. Brick is so cute as the elf that wants to be a dentist that it would be a shame to not do it.

saw this map on TV the other day for the days heading into Christmas.  not sure if it was one of the weather channels, or a hallmark Christmas show.  I think it must be just one long range member I'm guessing from the GFS, but this is definitely an interesting look.  My take is that the snow is streaming in so quickly from out of the North and it is getting squeezed between those two cold fronts and will eject out and shunt off to the Southeast and Southwest and bring lots of Christmas snow for our area?

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 9.37.48 AM.png

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm celebrating the cold! I think that's about a givin!

I'm glad we had a warm day. Got the leaves out of the gutters, and added a 5 foot extension to my rooftop antenna. I can now get all the Greenville/Spartanburg locals reliably :). WYFF and WLOS were my problem stations, can now get 60-70%

4 minutes ago, JoshM said:

I'm glad we had a warm day. Got the leaves out of the gutters, and added a 5 foot extension to my rooftop antenna. I can now get all the Greenville/Spartanburg locals reliably :). WYFF and WLOS were my problem stations, can now get 60-70%

You'll be sorry you got WYFF, when it comes to their snow forecasting! 

On 12/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, mackerel_sky said:

Guess I'll be going to Twin Tops for my Christmas Eve dinner in shorts and t shirt! :(

Mack I'm usually pretty optimistic when it looks like we are heading into a good active period, but I'm really having a hard time being hopeful for the upstate. Virtually all the models showing anything have the trough just a bit too far west with cold never quite making here. All the pretty maps have a min here with much better means for either farther west , north, or even east. The ones showing the coastal snow have us cold but a min on precip. We've already seen peeps to our SW and just a few miles North score big, it will be gutwrenching if it happens again, or if there's a big coastal while we get passed over. 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, JoshM said:

The woman doing morning weather on WHNS Fox 21 looks like she is about to explode; ready for her to go into labor while doing the weather forecast.  She is a trooper to still be going to work like that.

Archived