Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

16 minutes ago, griteater said:

I see talk of ridges and troughs and stratospheric warmings and euro weeklies, etc, but I haven't seen anyone expecting/forecasting a blockbuster Feb.  Where is that coming from?

I am not expecting a blockbuster by any means but I don't see one of these Feb's yet.   Though even Feb 2012 had snow, would take a repeat of that in a heartbeat.  

Though at end of Dec I certainly didn't think Jan would end up this warm either...LOL.  

IMG_3990.PNG

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Not surprised the "consistent" EPS weeklies caved.

Nice snowy run by the the 18z GEFS. 

IMG_3991.PNG

The weeklies had been very consistent for the past several runs. I am not surprised with the way the eps run went that the weeklies went that way with the eps. It would not surprise me if February was a bit up and down with the pattern reloading. There is still a lot a variables that are in play and all it would take is one decent storm to make most happy which most have seen especially in NC. the 18z gfs in the H5 looked a lot like Joe B map. Not that I think that look will be consistent from top to bottom. As for winter cancel,  I don't see it at all. But it depends on the outlook you have. 

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I am not expecting a blockbuster by any means but I don't see one of these Feb's yet.   Though even Feb 2012 had snow, would take a repeat of that in a heartbeat.  

Though at end of Dec I certainly didn't think Jan would end up this warm either...LOL.  

To the casual hobbyist such as myself, it seems like the January warmth kind of snuck up on us.  We knew early Jan would be a little mild, then we got a legitimate cold shot and then BAM.  On a continental scale, what is driving this right now?  The NAO is slightly negative; the AO is slightly positive, and the PNA is slightly positive.  As indexes go that is not a horrible place to be.  I know there is a resilient SER but it's not just the SE right now.  Cold air is routed out of pretty much all of North America.

For anyone saying the weeklies are bad, food for thought:

You wouldn't want to see a GFS version. You know how wrong that thing would be? That would truly be something...and no, the CFS is not the GFS Weeklies. Us Americans are too scared to develop such an ensemble system that far out, we'd be the laughing stock of the global modeling world. 

9 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Can someone explain to me what exactly the "weeklies" are?  Some sort of variant of the euro apparently.  How do they differ from the regular model?

The Euro runs out to Day 10 (240hrs)

the EPS (ensemble prediction system) is the 51 member Ensemble mean of the Euro that runs out to 15 days. After Day 10 it's at a lower resolution.

The weeklies are just an extension of the EPS run out to 46 days that's released every Thursday and Monday. It's actually called the Euro Monthly (because a few years ago it only ran out to 32 days), but it's called the weeklies because many model sites (WSI for example) display the output of the data in a weekly format (in 7 day chunks through 46 days). 

2 hours ago, CaryWx said:

Ok I'm going to ask a question here that may bring a chorus of hiss & jeers.  

Can anyone tell me what the Farmers Almanac says for February in the southeast?

i know that's probably like going to a Trek Convention and saying; "Hey I really thought the Wesely character in NG was awesome!"

Ok, so just make sure when you go to the Trek convention to tell everybody you really liked the time when Spock crashed the Millenium Falcon into the Genesis planted.  They'll love that.

Here is the Old Farmer's Almanac for you (looks like JB went with the Almanac for his Feb forecast!)

IMG_1362.JPG

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Ok, so just make sure when you go to the Trek convention to tell everybody you really liked the time when Spock crashed the Millenium Falcon into the Genesis planted.  They'll love that.

Here is the Old Farmer's Almanac for you:

IMG_1362.JPG

March 18-19th = JB money! Somebody start the thread! :)

6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

March 18-19th = JB money! Somebody start the thread! :)

You don't have to be lonely at farmersonly.com

First of Feb. still looks like the ticket, 18z GFS had our clipper and a southern slider. No NE highs or blocking, but hey, blocking is a myth at this point. Decent pattern + fantasy storms, we can work out the details later.

1 hour ago, JoshM said:

You don't have to be lonely at farmersonly.com

First of Feb. still looks like the ticket, 18z GFS had our clipper and a southern slider. No NE highs or blocking, but hey, blocking is a myth at this point. Decent pattern + fantasy storms, we can work out the details later.

I feel like we should get together and crowd source some sort of research into the disappearance of high-latitude blocking.  I mean is someone working on this?  Weather weenies need to know what makes the NAO tick.

Before the snow we still need our pattern change. RAH now mentioning this in their long range discussion:

Tue through Thu: Mid level heights rise over the Southeast as a mid
level ridge axis shifts over the region, while surface high pressure
crosses the northern Gulf and FL. Expect fair skies Tue/Wed with
slightly cooler but still above normal temps. The aforementioned
pattern change will begin late Wed night or Thu morning
(ECMWF
brings a cold front through earlier than the GFS) as a strong EPac
trough this weekend shifts eastward and begins to tap into cooler
polar air that has been bottled up well to our north. Expect highs
back down into the 50s Thu. A few showers are possible with the cold
front, although will keep pops on the low side given the significant
model timing differences. -GIH