Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

It's like a funeral in here! I heard the GFS was very active in the LR. Things are looking up! After the King comes back more suppressed and tics 200 miles further to the south tonight I'll start the thread for our little event on the 5th/6th!:guitar:

I think a lot of us learned our lesson from  the last system

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Sounds like a song!

Actually -

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says, "Don't you see?
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up, you got an empty cup...

From day to day just letting it ride
You get so far away from how it feels inside
You can't let go 'cause you're afraid to fall
But the day may come when you can't feel at all
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says, "Don't you see?

49 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Might be the first time all winter where the EPS is colder then the GEFS over any 5 day period.  GFS/GEFS really wants no part of a SE winter storm next weekend.   

IMG_4072.PNG

IMG_4073.PNG

Some impressive cold in Canada anyway especially on the GEFS.  By the way, where do you obtain these maps?

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Give it time, and it will be April, and an off the charts -NAO

I have heard that joke before.  If memory serves, there were a couple of years recently where I remember someone noting a very negative NAO in April.  Is that actually the case or am I imaging things.  I have read that the biggest NAO impact on sensible weather is in winter.  Did those big -NAO april's lead to cooler than normal temops?

10 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I have heard that joke before.  If memory serves, there were a couple of years recently where I remember someone noting a very negative NAO in April.  Is that actually the case or am I imaging things.  I have read that the biggest NAO impact on sensible weather is in winter.  Did those big -NAO april's lead to cooler than normal temops?

Yes there were quite a few damp days with highs in 40s and 50s! The 0z GFS clipper looks robust and gets some rain showers to NGa

Off topic but do you Upstate guys remember this event. I remember it coming out of nowhere. It seems like the mets were calling for a NW flow event for the mountains but somehow convective bands with thundersnow made it southeast of the apps and we ended up with a 2-3" surprise midday snow here in the upstate. The thundersnow was awesome.  It was like 40 degrees during the entire event..perfect example of rates overtaking 2m temps

If anyone could explain why this event happened and unfolded the way it did I would appreciate the input. Thanks 

image.jpeg

Larry Cosgrove
1 hr · 

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/weatheramerica

In the WEATHERAmerica Newsletter, cold air settles into the U.S. and may stick around a while. Still, parts of the West Coast and southern tier states may stay out of the Arctic air. Important winter storm threats February 4 - 7 Ozark Plateau to Mid-Atlantic states), and again February 10 - 12 (Deep South, Appalachia, Eastern Seaboard).

9 minutes ago

12 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Off topic but do you Upstate guys remember this event. I remember it coming out of nowhere. It seems like the mets were calling for a NW flow event for the mountains but somehow convective bands with thundersnow made it southeast of the apps and we ended up with a 2-3" surprise midday snow here in the upstate. The thundersnow was awesome.  It was like 40 degrees during the entire event..perfect example of rates overtaking 2m temps

If anyone could explain why this event happened and unfolded the way it did I would appreciate the input. Thanks

That was a lee trough event.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

It's not as fun posting near normal temps as it is posting torch temps! 

Although we all focus on conditions which lead to snow , I would love to learn more about how below normal temperatures occur in the SE regardless of snow.  There seem to be multiple mechanisms for cold, with their own features.  Some are short-lived but strong.  Some are long-term but comparatively weak etc.  I know that blocking has a lot to do with how transient or not it is.  I know that magnitude is affected by source region and whether the shot is direct or glancing etc.  I would love to hear an expert discourse on it.   

Archived