Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Just now, cbmclean said:

What in the heck?  Wasn't it literally yesterday that we were saying the LR looked promising?

The ensemble mean is just a little different :-)

The CFS is a big bummer if you want a cold Feb, it won't bust that bad, been fairly solid at this range.

IMG_4076.PNG

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CFSv2 is actually really reliable the last run of the month, after that pick and choose which frame/run you want to compare to the verification, but it's almost always the last run or two for some reason. Lately, it's been the last run...and like CR said, it likely flips. BECAUSE we've seen so much flipping the last 10 days of the model, I expect some give in the way of backing down on the heat the last two days, I don't buy the run for today overall. If you want to see the CFSv2 predict a torchy pattern, look at Novembers forecast and how consistent it was.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201611.gif

But here's how it worked out for the past 3 months:

JAN: Dec 31 verified the best

DEC: Nov 29 run busted horribly (way too hot, the equivalent of the latest run for Feb. Nov 30 (last run) was closest...but still busted over the MA and NE (too hot)

NOV: Again, last run - October 31, verified best.

12 hours ago, pcbjr said:

Actually -

Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says, "Don't you see?
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe
Don't give it up, you got an empty cup...

From day to day just letting it ride
You get so far away from how it feels inside
You can't let go 'cause you're afraid to fall
But the day may come when you can't feel at all
Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand
Says, "Don't you see? 

actually more apt.....

Run me out in the cold rain and snow....

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I think this GFS run is heading for disaster! That big storm right off the west coast on the 2nd/3rd, can't be good!? Hope I'm wrong, ready to have something to track this week!?

its slower then past models and I believe that's the LP we been seeing

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I think this GFS run is heading for disaster! That big storm right off the west coast on the 2nd/3rd, can't be good!? Hope I'm wrong, ready to have something to track this week!?

Some good...some bad on the GFS.  I like how the AK ridge is nosing in to the east, but need the PV lobe further east towards Maine.   Maybe it shifts SE after day 5. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_fh120_trend.gif

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Some good...some bad on the GFS.  I like how the AK ridge is nosing in to the east, but need the PV lobe further east towards Maine.   Maybe it shifts SE after day 5. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_fh120_trend.gif

It looks like it's trying to do that in the last frame or two in your post! Looks like a general SE press, ever so slightly

The 50/50 is a nice spot, PNA ridge is popping but the the low west of HB is a killer, shuts off cold air, invites cutter and doesn't allow a sprawling HP.   We need the whole PV lobe over in SE Canada, we can't have that piece in central Canada, well I guess it could be down in the lakes as an alternative but it's not.

gfs_z500a_namer_29.png

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_29.png

Archived