Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

JB- winter will attack the first 3 weeks of March! :)

Big finish for us Mack :guitar: Keep the faith...........

A significant cold period is on the way, and this may trend even colder. It is bookended tho by the front warmth and the cold will likely pull back to the west to end March. There are some big-hitting analogs on the table here, and since the Euro went toward the JMA, that Thursday MJO comparison is likely a pretty good hint for us going forward. It was colder this morning and foretold the Euro.

The MJO is showing a more bullish cold idea.  Oh my goodness, Not sure we can handle this MJO thingy????  :o

1 hour ago, BIG FROSTY said:

A significant cold period is on the way, and this may trend even colder. It is bookended tho by the front warmth and the cold will likely pull back to the west to end March. There are some big-hitting analogs on the table here, and since the Euro went toward the JMA, that Thursday MJO comparison is likely a pretty good hint for us going forward. It was colder this morning and foretold the Euro.

The MJO is showing a more bullish cold idea.  Oh my goodness, Not sure we can handle this MJO thingy????  :o

Heard big cold was coming for the last 3 months!!? Maybe the 3 days below normal in January counted???? So he nailed his forecast! :(

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Heard big cold was coming for the last 3 months!!? Maybe the 3 days below normal in January counted???? So he nailed his forecast! :(

Of course Big Cold now is highs in the 50s with full sun and lows in the 30s on a clear night ........................... lol

JB- is Champion of the Long Range again!!! The dude can't miss............. :scooter: Hey we'll get'em next winter (if there is a winter again) you just wait and see Charlie Brown!!! 

16 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Of course Big Cold now is highs in the 50s with full sun and lows in the 30s on a clear night ........................... lol

JB- is Champion of the Long Range again!!! The dude can't miss............. :scooter: Hey we'll get'em next winter (if there is a winter again) you just wait and see Charlie Brown!!! 

The world is warming regardless if you think it's man caused or not.  Looks to me like cold winters will continue to be hard to find. 

Just now, LithiaWx said:

The world is warming regardless if you think it's man caused or not.  Looks to me like cold winters will continue to be hard to find. 

But with climate change comes extreme. I can see some snowy winters in our futures, but it'll be 70s and 80s when it isn't a cold winter.

59 minutes ago, JoshM said:

But with climate change comes extreme. I can see some snowy winters in our futures, but it'll be 70s and 80s when it isn't a cold winter.

Agreed!  My view is the same.  We will get wild extremes in the process.  Cold winters will still happen and some of them will be extreme. IMO the odds go up for warmer winters but also bigger winter storms during cold and warm winters.  

7 hours ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Don't fall for this. Analogues are almost useless. LOL at the fall analogues saying 95-96. This year couldn't have been more opposite. We think it every year, but the unending warmth this year is truly unprecedented in my lifetime. A few cool downs to normal then right back up to April and even May.  I know it's TWC, but just to illustrate the point, it's 15 day forecast has my lowest high at 65 and only one low below 43. This was a one and done winter outside the mtns. One bona fide cold period and a well timed system delivered for some. I was lucky to get a 3 incher from this winter.

10 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Don't fall for this. Analogues are almost useless. LOL at the fall analogues saying 95-96. This year couldn't have been more opposite. We think it every year, but the unending warmth this year is truly unprecedented in my lifetime. A few cool downs to normal then right back up to April and even May.  I know it's TWC, but just to illustrate the point, it's 15 day forecast has my lowest high at 65 and only one low below 43. This was a one and done winter outside the mtns. One bona fide cold period and a well timed system delivered for some. I was lucky to get a 3 incher from this winter.

Meanwhile the west coast gets all the action.  Flooding rains in cali,  snow in the mountains and snow in Washington and Oregon over and over agin this season.  It wa s just their year....again. 

12 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

It's more than I got here in MA.  Truly unforgettable fail for us.  Still despite all that and the incredible persistence of warm I still think there will be one cold period in March that will give us both a Hail Mary end of winter. We shall see.  Today's GFS laughs at my idea.   

8 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I guess JB will be right if he thinks it will be cold in the west.  

Will be interesting to see if we have another low below freezing.  For RDU it looks like Feb 14th has the potential to be the last.

500h_anom.na.png

My peach trees are blooming. That's nearly a full month early. I can almost guarantee that we'll get at least one cold shot (lows < mid 20s) between now and mid April. When that happens there could/will be major damage to our agriculture sector.  

8 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

And yet the first half was still above normal across much of the south. I wonder if places like Orlando and Tampa even had a freeze this winter ?

Can't speak for them, but we did get a 23º one night and had 9 freezes - which is abysmal ....

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

It's never going to be cold again, Pack.  Just get used to it.

Looks bleak, that's for sure.  Allan tweeted out how this winter has a chance to finish 2nd warmest behind 31/32.  Well 1933-36 was very snowy.  And after  98/99 Nina we went through 2000-2004, a pretty good stretch.   These snowy analogs eventually will be right...don't they ?

map_btd.png?random=20170218_130128

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Looks bleak, that's for sure.  Allan tweeted out how this winter has a chance to finish 2nd warmest behind 31/32.  Well 1933-36 was very snowy.  And after  98/99 Nina we went through 2000-2004, a pretty good stretch.   These snowy analogs eventually will be right...don't they ?

map_btd.png?random=20170218_125523

My God that map looks abysmal for 95% of the country. Unless you live in the Carolinas or the Arklatex area that is.

Archived