Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

At least its snowing...ha.  Some good bursts of snow at the mountain so far this morning but not doing anything other than cosmetic whitening in spots.  Tons of wind.

J.Spin's area looks to be getting lit up there at I89 and the county line.

WUNIDS_map.gif

Psst, I sent you a message on FB. :)

Had not seen dense all-day fog in quite a while, then twice in5 days.  Visibility yesterday ran 100-200 yards, and temp at my place failed to top 40 while less than 100 miles SW it was about 60.  Only 0.26" from the system and nary a flake, snowpack down to 23".  06z GFS shows zero SN in my area for days 1-8 but several nice hits days 9-16.  Of course, a week ago that model showed pretty much the same thing.  :P

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Had not seen dense all-day fog in quite a while, then twice in5 days.  Visibility yesterday ran 100-200 yards, and temp at my place failed to top 40 while less than 100 miles SW it was about 60.  Only 0.26" from the system and nary a flake, snowpack down to 23".  06z GFS shows zero SN in my area for days 1-8 but several nice hits days 9-16.  Of course, a week ago that model showed pretty much the same thing.  :P

I took a drive to the store last night for something that could've waited until today.  I couldn't see the stoplights at an intersection until I was right under them!  Won't be doing that again, it's terrifying driving in dense fog.

This has been the most incredible wind I've seen all season.

This is exceptionally rare for us to be almost completely on wind hold except for beginner and lower mountain lifts.

Max wind has been 66mph at 1,500ft.

Summit max wind is 94mph in the past hour. 

Check out that temperature drop.  Fell off a cliff.  Down to 12F at the office right now and it was 32F at 6am.

March_2.jpg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

This is exceptionally rare for us to be almost completely on wind hold except for beginner and lower mountain lifts.

Check out that temperature drop.  Fell off a cliff.  Down to 12F at the office right now and it was 32F at 6am.

March_2.jpg

That does wonders for the snow. 

Looks like another potential record breaking day early next week. 

I suppose only for so long could we ride the "record warm/above average snow" line.  At some point the warm starts to win out. 

Of course this means it will be 59 all June long. 

March_2.jpg

Blown out windows at the cliff house? ;)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I drove to Bolton through the upslope snow early this afternoon. It was heaviest near the bottom of the access road. There was about 1-2 inches fresh above 1000ft but what was amazing was the decimated snowpack all the way up past the Timberline Lodge to nearly 2000ft (I didn't go all the way up). There was nearly no natural snow remaining in the woods from anything that fell previous to today. Obviously the groomers still had plenty. 

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

March_2.jpg

Lovely:weep:

4 hours ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I took a drive to the store last night for something that could've waited until today.  I couldn't see the stoplights at an intersection until I was right under them!  Won't be doing that again, it's terrifying driving in dense fog.

Driving on Route 2 last evening wasn't too bad, as that highway has stripes center and edges.  The narrower feeder roads have no paint, plus the snowbanks are dirty and don't offer all that much contrast - essentially none in the clouds.  Drove 40-50 on Rt 2, 15-25 on the side road.

Drove up to Montreal for a hockey game tonight. Bare ground all the way except for what fell from this frontal passage. Seems weird to see the St.Lawrence wide open with no ice this time of year.  Heading north of the city about 75 miles tomorrow to ride snowmobiles. I'm guessing it will be icy but I assume there is snow. 

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.04” L.E.

There was 0.5” of accumulation from today’s snow.  It covered up a good amount of the melted out areas to make things look pretty wintry overall, but it still looks more an early to mid-November type of snow cover vs. early March.  Accumulations definitely taper off as one heads west out of the mountains, with not much on the ground from Bolton Flats westward.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.5

Snow Density: 8.0% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 1.0 inches

There’s a Special Weather Statement out for incoming snow – the clouds dropped on the Greens and the spine disappeared over the past 20 minutes or so, and now we’ve got some flakes falling here in Burlington.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

National Weather Service BURLINGTON VT

149 PM EST Fri Mar 3 2017

NYZ026>031-034-035-087-VTZ001>012-016>019-040000-

Northern St. Lawrence-Northern Franklin-Eastern Clinton-

Southeastern St. Lawrence-Southern Franklin-Western Clinton-

Western Essex-Eastern Essex-Southwestern St. Lawrence-Grand Isle-

Western Franklin-Orleans-Essex-Western Chittenden-Lamoille-

Caledonia-Washington-Western Addison-Orange-Western Rutland-

Windsor-Eastern Franklin-Eastern Chittenden-Eastern Addison-

Eastern Rutland-

Including the cities of Massena, Malone, Plattsburgh, Star Lake,

Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake, Dannemora, Lake Placid, Port Henry,

Ticonderoga, Ogdensburg, Potsdam, Gouverneur, Alburgh,

South Hero, St. Albans, Newport, Island Pond, Burlington,

Johnson, Stowe, St. Johnsbury, Montpelier, Middlebury, Vergennes,

Bradford, Randolph, Rutland, Springfield, White River Junction,

Enosburg Falls, Richford, Underhill, Bristol, Ripton,

East Wallingford, and Killington

149 PM EST Fri Mar 3 2017

...Snow showers developing across northern New York and Vermont

this afternoon and early this evening...

Snow showers across the Adirondacks and Saint Lawrence this

afternoon will move east into the Champlain valley and Vermont

later this afternoon and early this evening. A dusting to an inch

of snow is possible over a short period of time. If traveling this

afternoon on area roads, please slow down and exercise caution.

Precautionary/Preparedness Actions...

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations.

Be prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow

extra time when traveling.

$$

52 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The only road from Manchester up to Stratton, Bromley, Mountain towns is shut down both ways, must have been a bad accident during that squall earlier.  Another squall is pounding probably not making clean up easy.

Damn and yet nice.  Although nothing really is on radar it's snowing nicely here, under a mile vis and the dogs are coated.  Probably very localized and will let up soon but a quick coating so far.  

Funny how a coating seems like a win now after it did this for literally 3 weeks straight but with inches.

I am still amazed how how this changed so quickly.  I was busting forecasts low left and right at the mountain by staying conservative. Every 1-3" set up seemed to produce 4-6".  My biggest bust internally and I will get flak for it forever is when I called for a dusting to 2" and we got 17".  

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn and yet nice.  Although nothing really is on radar it's snowing nicely here, under a mile vis and the dogs are coated.  Probably very localized and will let up soon but a quick coating so far.  

Funny how a coating seems like a win now after it did this for literally 3 weeks straight but with inches.

I am still amazed how how this changed so quickly.  I was busting forecasts low left and right at the mountain by staying conservative. Every 1-3" set up seemed to produce 4-6".  My biggest bust internally and I will get flak for it forever is when I called for a dusting to 2" and we got 17".  

That was the storm that had a sort of TROWAL move in iirc. It didn't have a lot of QPF but I recall thinking it looked like a decent setup. 

Found some winter today. 200 miles north but winter none the less. After watching the hockey game in Montreal last night, we went north today about 70 miles to a place called Entrelacs. Quite a bit of snow on the ground up there, I would guess between 2' and 3'. They had some rain and warmth too but the pack was nearly bulletproof with this cold shot. You could pretty comfortably walk on it. The temp was -12C when we started this afternoon around 2:00. We rode 65 kilometers and had a good time. It was nice to visit winter. 

IMG_0766.JPG

Archived