joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chitown Storm said:

Looking more and more likely that we'll see a decent 3-6" snowfall here tomorrow into Wednesday morning. Thermals look iffy especially south of the twin cities but some of the 12z models came in a tick colder, and stronger. 

The NAM has me a bit concerned though... it pushes rain well north of both of us. Yes it is the NAM but it is in its range now so I don't know that it can be ignored. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Pretty awesome picture of the lake effect bands. Rochester/Syracuse/Binghamton got 1-2 feet of snow in the last 24 hours. Hoosier we starting a Lake Effect thread like the last few years?

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/q88/s480x480/14991900_1095354763911213_2270073701066818424_n.jpg?oh=ccaec320447429633031aa3ac2d317a1&oe=58C7404D

I mentioned it a few days ago but nobody started one.

3 hours ago, Younar said:

The NAM has me a bit concerned though... it pushes rain well north of both of us. Yes it is the NAM but it is in its range now so I don't know that it can be ignored. 

It's a complete toss up with thermals. Precip types might bounce back and forth for a few hours after the initial snow shield hits. Some are going get a nice hit. Others are going to get more slop and pingers. Either way, the pattern looks great here. Multiple events to track over the next 10 days. 

13 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

The GFS continues to stay in the negative category with the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillation. The 12z Euro AO & NAO continue to stay in the negative category as well.

Also looks like a pattern change around December 1st as both of those indices flips back towards positive. The models have a large system around this time as well.

.  Last night’s low of 21 at the airport was the coldest of this season so far. Here at my house I had a low of 20.2° at my main sensor and a very cold low of 15.3° at my colder location in the yard (I used to have 3 sensor locations but now I am down to just the two) I have a location in the yard that is much colder (or one that is warmer whatever way you want to look at it) On clear, calm summer nights you can feel the difference. Also on note today will either be a clear or partly cloudy day. After the cold and snow we just had GRR is now at 8 clear days 9 partly cloudy day and only 4 cloudy days. So this November has and will end up much sunnier than average here in west Michigan.

IWX worried some Freezing Rain might try to stick around in the morning

Temperatures have struggled to climb today with mostly cloudy
skies and slow progress in push of warm air advection from the SW.
Precipitation has been non existent thus far over the are with
radar mosaic to the west and south rather anemic with little more
than scattered light showers back towards the Mississippi River.
Models still show increased moistening in response to an
approaching upper level wave later tonight and the the main low on
Wednesday. Have slowed onset of precip further with much of the
evening seeing little more than a outside sprinkle or shower in
the far west. Overnight, chances increase with main push after 9Z
as deeper moisture arrives and overcomes the very dry airmass. At
the same time, warmer low level temperatures will arrive just
above the surface with sfc temps in the 28 to 32 degree range for
NE areas. Strong cooling should take place to keep precip as a mix
of rain and snow or all snow initially with possibly a brief
period of light freezing rain in the 10-14Z window as warmer air
surges in faster. Some concerns that the cold air will linger a
bit longer in parts of Branch and Hillsdale counties into far NW
Ohio in the AM but all should move above freezing by afternoon.

&&

Decent snow in the western twin cities metro right now. Eyeballing A little over an inch and coming down at a good clip. Forecast for 2-4 is looking good if it keeps this up for few more hours. Looks feasible based on radar returns. Despite temps in the mid 30s most of the day, it is sticking to all surfaces, even main roads, thanks to a period of sleet during the transition. Roads are a mess right now.

19 minutes ago, Younar said:

Decent snow in the western twin cities metro right now. Eyeballing A little over an inch and coming down at a good clip. Forecast for 2-4 is looking good if it keeps this up for few more hours. Looks feasible based on radar returns. Despite temps in the mid 30s most of the day, it is sticking to all surfaces, even main roads, thanks to a period of sleet during the transition. Roads are a mess right now.

The sleet is hitting the window so hard here in Roseville at times that I need to turn the TV up. Had about a half inch of snow earlier this afternoon that's still on the ground. Roads are definitely a mess. Radar returns to the south suggest some heavy precip in the metro soon. I hope it flips to all snow. I hate the sound of pingers. 

28 minutes ago, Chitown Storm said:

The sleet is hitting the window so hard here in Roseville at times that I need to turn the TV up. Had about a half inch of snow earlier this afternoon that's still on the ground. Roads are definitely a mess. Radar returns to the south suggest some heavy precip in the metro soon. I hope it flips to all snow. I hate the sound of pingers. 

I am hoping those heavier returns to the south don't have pingers... we have been all snow since about 630 and we are pushing two inches here. If that band is all snow, we can probably double that once it pushes through. 

3 minutes ago, Chitown Storm said:

Definitely a winter wonderland out there this morning. Heavy slop plastered over everything. Picked up about 2" overnight and could pick up another inch with the deformation zone moving through. Looks like another 1-2" Thanksgiving eve. 

Picked up 3.5" here although it has compacted down some being such a wet snow.  The MPX office which is maybe 4 miles away reported 3.8 as of midnight but it continued snowing for a couple of hours so wouldn't be surprise if they ended up around 4.5". Loving the look as we head into early Dec.

Archived