• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mount Snow to Sugarloaf....Jay Peak to Sunapee.  When they do well with snow, SNE usually doesn't.  But if NNE does well then SNE usually does too.  Logic not-included.

If y'all can just get thru the screamers next week with at least some base.. you should be off to the promised land.

52 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If y'all can just get thru the screamers next week with at least some base.. you should be off to the promised land.

Who knows what happens down the line (maybe we run a few cutters or mixed events) but if we tack on another couple inches tomorrow into Friday, and I can go over a week in November without seeing the grass (before any cutter middle of next week) that's a big win after last winter.  Just enjoying winter for now, the muffled squeak of boots walking through snow, white landscape as far as the eye can see...and getting that warning monkey off the back is nice haha.  I was able to go over the 6" in 12 hour criteria for the first warning snow at home since December 2014...plus the nickel and dime returning with 0.8" yesterday evening into this morning.  

Wintery appeal.  The mountains getting real snow.  It's only November.  But right now it feels better than the angst all last winter.

The overall weather has a much different vibe than last winter and that should benefit everyone after that abortion.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Some signs the warm front may get jammed up to the south over the mid atl next week..May not get as warm as some were thinking

Maybe. Would still be wet. If I were to really stick my neck out...next chance of anything wintry in New England may be near 12/5 give or take a day.

Haven't been tuned in as of late..  Enjoying the Holiday out of state.   Have a good one today!

Did a little bit of overview to get the gist of modeling behavior as of late ... I'm not surprised that TG's event has been dimmed to pseudo non-event frankly. 

Not that anyone asked, but from my perspective there was a larger than median risk of that happening (meaning, if looking at modeling complexions from 3 or 4 days ago, which direction was the correction vector pointing...).  

The out-of-box appeal, on balance, was and still has a negative interference construct (destructive).  The SE ridge ...however obviously depicted notwithstanding, is persistently/established and as a result, is out of phase/sync with troughs attempting to migrate through the Tenn. and Ohio Valley longitudes.  In simpler terms, the ridge is muting/damping those trough strengths. The other way the ridge, ...at times even seemingly gone (but there is a way to tell if it is still there if perhaps masked by compression), effects is the troughs may correct more progressive in nature.. 

Yeah, it's the old Miami Rule. The thing about this sort of interference pattern is that it's not absolute, either.  Detriment doesn't mean nothing.. It just means that the set imposes a negative/detraction.  

Case in point... the 00z Euro looks ...okay from hours 48 thru 72.  That was a marginal atmosphere with a vorticity maximum tracking 1 or 2 deg latitude S of LI...with a closing surface pressure pattern underneath.  Sort of a NJ Model deepener there.  The run prior was slightly less, the one prior to that ...perhaps differently constructed altogether in both space and time.  But, the point being ...there is some trend there that still needs to be ironed out and if folks are looking for some winter, this run wasn't absolutely abysmal.   

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Haven't been tuned in as of late..  Enjoying the Holiday out of state.   Have a good one today!

Did a little bit of overview to get the gist of modeling behavior as of late ... I'm not surprised that TG's event has been dimmed to pseudo non-event frankly. 

Not that anyone asked, but from my perspective there was a larger than median risk of that happening (meaning, if looking at modeling complexions from 3 or 4 days ago, which direction was the correction vector pointing...).  

The out-of-box appeal, on balance, was and still has a negative interference construct (destructive).  The SE ridge ...however obviously depicted notwithstanding, is persistently/established and as a result, is out of phase/sync with troughs attempting to migrate through the Tenn. and Ohio Valley longitudes.  In simpler terms, the ridge is muting/damping those trough strengths. The other way the ridge, ...at times even seemingly gone (but there is a way to tell if it is still there if perhaps masked by compression), effects is the troughs may correct more progressive in nature.. 

Yeah, it's the old Miami Rule. The thing about this sort of interference pattern is that it's not absolute, either.  Detriment doesn't mean nothing.. It just means that the set imposes a negative/detraction.  

Case in point... the 00z Euro looks ...okay from hours 48 thru 72.  That was a marginal atmosphere with a vorticity maximum tracking 1 or 2 deg latitude S of LI...with a closing surface pressure pattern underneath.  Sort of a NJ Model deepener there.  The run prior was slightly less, the one prior to that ...perhaps differently constructed altogether in both space and time.  But, the point being ...there is some trend there that still needs to be ironed out and if folks are looking for some winter, this run wasn't absolutely abysmal.   

Happy Thanksgiving to you and others on this site.....I am trying to learn(lol) be patient...GEFS shows cold on the west coast day 5? are you saying it "may not" make it to the northeast? I thought this front was the game changer?

2 hours ago, 512high said:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and others on this site.....I am trying to learn(lol) be patient...GEFS shows cold on the west coast day 5? are you saying it "may not" make it to the northeast? I thought this front was the game changer?

I'm not actually saying anything about cold air from out west... I was speaking in deference to long wave, wave spacing, particularly how the SE ridge represents a semi-fixed feature that is out of phase with troughs as they attempt to amplitude farther N in the OV. 

I suppose you could "infer" from that that cold air might have trouble getting S - in general - but ... our cold source is more southern and/or E Canada.  Sometimes the N stream is sufficiently oriented for transporting significant cold through the Lakes into the NE ...while the SE ridge is there.  In other words, we can get cold here in spite of that. The issue isn't 'cold enough' ...it was a matter of effecting storm organization.  How exactly the inference effects is also a bit more complicated.  You have to know about "jet responses" and wave mechanics ...which needs more primer work to understand. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not actually saying anything about cold air from out west... I was speaking in deference to long wave, wave spacing, particularly how the SE ridge represents a semi-fixed feature that is out of phase with troughs as they attempt to amplitude farther N in the OV. 

I suppose you could "infer" from that that cold air might have trouble getting S - in general - but ... our cold source is more southern and/or E Canada.  Sometimes the N stream is sufficiently oriented for transporting significant cold through the Lakes into the NE ...while the SE ridge is there.  In other words, we can get cold here in spite of that. The issue isn't 'cold enough' ...it was a matter of effecting storm organization.  How exactly the inference effects is also a bit more complicated.  You have to know about "jet responses" and wave mechanics ...which needs more primer work to understand. 

Understood! (boy was I way off!) Thanks for the reply

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Who knows what happens down the line (maybe we run a few cutters or mixed events) but if we tack on another couple inches tomorrow into Friday, and I can go over a week in November without seeing the grass (before any cutter middle of next week) that's a big win after last winter.  Just enjoying winter for now, the muffled squeak of boots walking through snow, white landscape as far as the eye can see...and getting that warning monkey off the back is nice haha.  I was able to go over the 6" in 12 hour criteria for the first warning snow at home since December 2014...plus the nickel and dime returning with 0.8" yesterday evening into this morning.  

Wintery appeal.  The mountains getting real snow.  It's only November.  But right now it feels better than the angst all last winter.

The overall weather has a much different vibe than last winter and that should benefit everyone after that abortion.

It's the standard yearly, there is no snow in the Tolland Alps, so it has to melt everywhere else comment.

Archived