Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oconeexman said:

Congrats all that are getting some action!! Cant wait till daylight for some webcams. I know its not a big deal but still love looking at it.

Did check out the Blowing Rock cam this AM; saw what appeared to be two girls chunking snowballs at each other and third videoing the event; probably on Facebook by now.

Nothing to see around here; it was 31 degrees IMBY when I woke up; dropped to 29 at the moment.

8 hours ago, AirNelson39 said:

Doesn't seem to impressive to me either but Brad P was really harping about how this is as good of a NWFS setup as you can get and that was just a few hours ago on a FB live video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta remember that A. He's not from nor live here. And B. This is one of the best setups in a few years (we've haven't had many, and most weren't worth mentioning). Although I'm in agreement that this was not a perfect setup by any means.

6 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Got a good inch, maybe more but it's so wind blown it's hard to tell. It was nice to see but going into the new year with only 2 inches of snow is pathetic. Things will have to dramatically pick up over the next several weeks for me to even reach half of my normal. 

I think it's a safe bet to say we won't hit our averages this year for snow. It's gonna to take a long term(2-3 weeks) with several storms to get us where we need to be. Not saying winter is over or that it won't snow, I just don't think having 2 inches through two good snow months is gonna end well.

1 hour ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I think it's a safe bet to say we won't hit our averages this year for snow. It's gonna to take a long term(2-3 weeks) with several storms to get us where we need to be. Not saying winter is over or that it won't snow, I just don't think having 2 inches through two good snow months is gonna end well.

I agree. My average is around 60 inches, if I hit half of that this year I'll be happy.

All in all though, nice day today. Snow in air, Christmas decorations are still up, the whole fam is coming in today...I'll take it.

I agree. My average is around 60 inches, if I hit half of that this year I'll be happy.

All in all though, nice day today. Snow in air, Christmas decorations are still up, the whole fam is coming in today...I'll take it.

Sounds like a killer day Joe! Enjoy. I'll toast ya later on !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Moonhowl said:

Did check out the Blowing Rock cam this AM; saw what appeared to be two girls chunking snowballs at each other and third videoing the event; probably on Facebook by now.

Nothing to see around here; it was 31 degrees IMBY when I woke up; dropped to 29 at the moment.

Don't you know, they just LIVE STREAM that stuff now.  Crazy kids.....

All kidding aside, CONGRATS to those seeing snow.  Happy for y'all.

2 hours ago, RiftMania said:

Left the house around 630ish to light flurries. I made my way to Callaway Rd just below 221 near Floyd and ran slam into white out conditions. Simply amazing the climo that exist in this county. 

Floyd County, VA is one of the most interesting places I've ever lived weather wise.

44 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Our average is in the ballpark if 30 inches. So not looking too good here either. I'm lucky enough to work all day instead of playing in it. Oh well if we can get next week's storm to do something for us I'm off all that weekend so maybe I'll have better luck then.

Conditions were perfect on Beech today. Moderate to heavy snow at times. Snow guns were cranking on the slopes. Temps were in the upper teens when I was there. Looked to be 2-4 inches of natural snow (could not get a good measurement due to the high winds). Had a really good time with the family and watching the "little ones" sled down the sled hill at the visitors center. Truly a winter wonderland....

Archived