Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

One more and I will quit cluttering up yalls thread. Moved to Oconee from Florida in 77 and got spoiled as a kid. We had good snows every winter it seemed into the early 80's. Then again late 80's and after that its been less and less. Seeing Union, Gaffney and Columbia get more than up here consistently which baffles me. But the one constant has almost always been NC mountains get theres every year. I enjoy looking at yalls pictures and watching webcams!

Hopefully we will be posting some pics Friday morning of some snow.

23 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I agree! Just thank God we don't live in Ashe County ! 

13 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I read on facebook where they had a town festival and nobody showed up because they didn't know where to go. Sad.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Lol!!!!!!!! I heard it was a one block town filled with a liquor store and a bait shop.

19 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol man I heard Ashe County is awful! No snow and little mountains. 

Man...ya'll itching to start a war tonight ? :lol:

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Lol all in good fun bro! Good news the 00Z is still showing the goods!

No worries lol. got a chuckle out of it since it was the first thing I saw finally getting home from the bar. good news with the 0z run is I don't think we need to spend much more time looking at Thursdays event, and instead focus on the mid/long range. 

Looking good for snowflakes here in WNC tomorrow night into late Friday! Here is what I posted on FB:

"Look for clear skies and highs in the upper 50's to low 60's today before a front moves in tomorrow morning. Scattered showers should move in around midnight and they will persist until around the noon hour tomorrow. As the evening progresses, winds will begin to howl across WNC and favorable winds off the Great Lakes will create a fetch of moisture that extends all the way into NC. With temps crashing, I believe snow will fall heavy on the NC/TN border early Friday morning and those snow showers will extend all the way into downtown Asheville, where a dusting of snow is possible. This will be a Northwest Flow type snow with a bit more northern component compared to the usual NWFS, so areas around Boone stand a good chance at seeing accumulating snowfall. I am still a little uncertain on totals at the moment, but if you live above 4000' and within 10 miles of the NC/TN border, 2" would be a decent guess from me at this point in time. Locations as far south as Hendersonville have the chance to see flurries, but Northwest Flow type snow never produces the rates seen in downtown Asheville. After this front passes look for temps to plummet again into the low 20's Saturday morning, but these temps will be short lived as high pressure builds in the Atlantic. I am eyeing a pattern change on the horizon that would bode well for snow lovers over the next 15 days with blocking arctic highs moving across the Great Lakes and strong southern energy being pumped in. In the long range this is what I like to see models showing before a decent snowstorm, so stay tuned, this is the most interested I have been in model watching since mid winter of last year. Check back soon and have a great Wednesday!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Alright, I'm avoiding he main thread for a few hours, blowing my mind how good the midday models are. Anyways, the 12z GFS backed off totals slightly, but not enough to really make a difference.

Yeah I think we are a go for tomorrow night into Friday. Good moisture feed and cold air. It will vary from run to run but I think it's a lock. Yeah the storm 10 or so days away is positive. 

34 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I think we are a go for tomorrow night into Friday. Good moisture feed and cold air. It will vary from run to run but I think it's a lock. Yeah the storm 10 or so days away is positive. 

The way this winter has gone, I'm still expecting the Bust to happen on one run. Idc so much about the particular storm(s) as most of the forum is. I want to see consistency in the overall pattern from run to run before I start buying our chances for the next couple of weeks.

4 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

The way this winter has gone, I'm still expecting the Bust to happen on one run. Idc so much about the particular storm(s) as most of the forum is. I want to see consistency in the overall pattern from run to run before I start buying our chances for the next couple of weeks.

Yeah it fun to look at but I'm putting zero stock in a storm that far out.

42 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The NWS has upped pops for tomorrow night into Friday for snow. Also a wind advisory for all the mountains. So this is going to be temps falling off and wind driven snow. I like it!

Yep the first northwest flow event of the season I think. You'd really be in business with a better great lakes connection, but it should still be nice up there. GSP is talking about maybe 2-4 inches of snow above 5000 feet from Swain to Avery counties. Congrats.

2 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Yep the first northwest flow event of the season I think. You'd really be in business with a better great lakes connection, but it should still be nice up there. GSP is talking about maybe 2-4 inches of snow above 5000 feet from Swain to Avery counties. Congrats.

Yeah the flow is a bit more northerly than NW but at least it's something. The first of the season. The 18z still looks good evendors with a few spots around 6 inches probably around Roan Mountain. 

18z gfs looks good again. I'll be heading up to my apartment in Boone tomorrow. Fairly new to the mountains and NWFS events, especially since there weren't many last winter. What are the best short range models to look at for these events?

1 hour ago, NC_WX10 said:

18z gfs looks good again. I'll be heading up to my apartment in Boone tomorrow. Fairly new to the mountains and NWFS events, especially since there weren't many last winter. What are the best short range models to look at for these events?

Really in my experience the gfs does very well with these type events. The NAM is awful in my opinion. 

Archived