Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Also looking at the storm system for New years the 18z has a snow to mix to rain for the mountains before the warm nose busts through. Could be some fun on the front end. That is at hour 100 so it may have some merit but one thing at a time.

Honestly, I don't expect even a flake of snow from that one once it gets closer. right now, i'm more interested if the GFS shows what the euro did toward the end of it's run.

2 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Honestly, I don't expect even a flake of snow from that one once it gets closer. right now, i'm more interested if the GFS shows what the euro did toward the end of it's run.

Yeah I agree but trying too pull a rabbit out of the hat! Iv been reading in the TN and MA subforum and lots of great discussion.

8 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Hr. 204, close to maybe a little something, but mostly rain on this run.

210 - cold chasing moisture, looks to get some snow showers as precip is leaving.

216 - precip moving out, looks like the temps are plummeting.

This run does not look great. Pretty meh but it happens. Not really bad but not great.

31 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

This run does not look great. Pretty meh but it happens. Not really bad but not great.

Is that good or bad if cold is chasing moisture.and rain with all that you said I was looking at something they are saying snow Thursday night into weekend so am watching closely on that

22 minutes ago, Bob2016 said:

Is that good or bad if cold is chasing moisture.and rain with all that you said I was looking at something they are saying snow Thursday night into weekend so am watching closely on that

I do realize this is a weather forum. However, could you please attempt to use some punctuation in your posts? Your 6 posts to date are like one big run-on stream of consciousness sentence. I have to read each post several times to figure out where one sentence/thought ends and the next one starts.

You know what's really bad is all the pessimism and boohooing from all of us non mountain folks about the lack of winter weather. Then there's all the folks who get a good bit of snow every winter haven't gotten much to speak of yet or none are the ones who complain the least. For that I commend you guys!! Here's to some ups lope events in your near future!!

7 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

You know what's really bad is all the pessimism and boohooing from all of us non mountain folks about the lack of winter weather. Then there's all the folks who get a good bit of snow every winter haven't gotten much to speak of yet or none are the ones who complain the least. For that I commend you guys!! Here's to some ups lope events in your near future!!

I've always thought you guys might have more of a passion for it than we do up here because you don't get as much.  The best snow that falls is from a monster gulf low that rides up and plasters all of us ! :-)

Just now, SnoJoe said:

I've always thought you guys might have more of a passion for it than we do up here because you don't get as much.  The best snow that falls is from monster gulf low that rides up and plasters all of us ! :-)

Yeah, envious of y'all , for sure!! Y'all can accidentally get more snow, clipper, upslope snow, etc, in one event, than some get down here in 4-5 years or more! Good luck Thursday!

15 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Lol thanks Oconee! That means a lot. For me personally its weather and that's it. I have a family and a mom fighting for her life so it puts things in perspective. I do get frustrated but it is what it is. 

10 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, envious of y'all , for sure!! Y'all can accidentally get more snow, clipper, upslope snow, etc, in one event, than some get down here in 4-5 years or more! Good luck Thursday!

So true Mack. Shoot iv witnessed us getting 2 feet of snow over a weekend from just upslope snow. It's interesting the older I get the more I try not to take advantage of the snow around here.

21 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

I try not to complain, but every once in a while it gets to the point where I need to vent about how crappy it's been. But I try not to sound like a kid lol. But you know, I think that we are close to at least having a better shot of some goods for us and you alike. Let's just keep our fingers crossed for the jewels!

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol thanks Oconee! That means a lot. For me personally its weather and that's it. I have a family and a mom fighting for her life so it puts things in perspective. I do get frustrated but it is what it is. 

You're welcome friend. And know where yourever coming from with Mom. Mine stage 4 lung cancer since June but she's a fighter for sure. Has put winter weather low on wish list this winter. 

I do think the ups lope snow flow will get going in January sometime especially with some decent blocking that's showing up. And hopefully we can get one gulf low that players us all.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:30 PM, Jonathan said:

That's true, but unfortunately the model progs are all we have to go by. I was just trying to spark some sort of convo in here, it was getting slow! 

GFS has it too, at least.

Screenshot_20161221-203442.jpg

This is a post from Jonathan on the 21st. That's 8 days ago from the time this is suppose to begin. Miss it by a day and a half but I swear the GSF has been a lot better lately.

And I've often thought of buying a place up around Boone so we could visit for "winter events" and get are cups full. But then there's alays this issue of money...lol. Next option is talk my daughter into going to App St for college in 2018! Boone and Banner Elk remind me of here just higher elevation!

7 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

You're welcome friend. And know where yourever coming from with Mom. Mine stage 4 lung cancer since June but she's a fighter for sure. Has put winter weather low on wish list this winter. 

I do think the ups lope snow flow will get going in January sometime especially with some decent blocking that's showing up. And hopefully we can get one gulf low that players us all.

Yeah I agree we get more upslope snows as we get deeper into January. Sorry about your mom. My mom is fighting re-occurring ovarian cancer. It came back multiple places. It's been a long hard year. My wife and I split up for 9 months but by the grace of God we are back together. A good snow will do the heart well.

6 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

And I've often thought of buying a place up around Boone so we could visit for "winter events" and get are cups full. But then there's alays this issue of money...lol. Next option is talk my daughter into going to App St for college in 2018! Boone and Banner Elk remind me of here just higher elevation!

Yeah Boone is beautiful. Shoot most of WNC is beautiful.

One more and I will quit cluttering up yalls thread. Moved to Oconee from Florida in 77 and got spoiled as a kid. We had good snows every winter it seemed into the early 80's. Then again late 80's and after that its been less and less. Seeing Union, Gaffney and Columbia get more than up here consistently which baffles me. But the one constant has almost always been NC mountains get theres every year. I enjoy looking at yalls pictures and watching webcams!

Archived