joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same as you guys, some flurry action and an occasionally shower. Down to 29.4 so things should start freezing up. Wind has been wicked the past couple of hours. Had a max gust to 44. I'm not staying up all night for an inch of snow so I hope I see something before say one. I'm batching it tonight so I figured I'd crack open a bottle of the good stuff, turn the floods on, sit by the fire in my underwear, and hopefully watch it snow.

4 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Same as you guys, some flurry action and an occasionally shower. Down to 29.4 so things should start freezing up. Wind has been wicked the past couple of hours. Had a max gust to 44. I'm not staying up all night for an inch of snow so I hope I see something before say one. I'm batching it tonight so I figured I'd crack open a bottle of the good stuff, turn the floods on, sit by the fire in my underwear, and hopefully watch it snow.

Nice bro. Sounds good. What are you cracking open if you don't mind me asking? We should start to see some better returns around 10 or 11 at the latest I think.

29 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Nice bro. Sounds good. What are you cracking open if you don't mind me asking? We should start to see some better returns around 10 or 11 at the latest I think.

I haven't decided yet. I've got a bottle of Booker's Rye but might have to go with the Monkeys Shoulder, one of my favorites.

Yeah, probably not until that piece of energy swings through later. Have a sky full of stars now.

26 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I haven't decided yet. I've got a bottle of Booker's Rye but might have to go with the Monkeys Shoulder, one of my favorites.

Yeah, probably not until that piece of energy swings through later. Have a sky full of stars now.

Very nice. Yeah it will come. Typically upslope observations before the moisture gets in here.

Still no snow but this is easily my biggest wind event for here. Just had a gust to 73! That's coming from an ultrasonic wind sensor that's usually dead on. My house is pretty sturdy but that one rocked it good. Strange because nothing else has been above the mid-50's. 

Wow! That awesome and scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Wow! That awesome and scary!

Hi Mark! Yeah, it's absolutely deafening when you walk outside. I don't see surrounding reports that are as high as mine. I think right now it's a matter of trajectory. My house faces exactly 305 degrees and that's where that gust was from.

How old is that towhead now that we all had to gush over and congratulate you on ?

Hi Mark! Yeah, it's absolutely deafening when you walk outside. I don't see surrounding reports that are as high as mine. I think right now it's a matter of trajectory. My house faces exactly 305 degrees and that's where that gust was from.

How old is that towhead now?

I had a 70+ gust several years ago. Cut a large cedar tree in half .

Towhead one is 7 + and my second edition is 2+ .. getting old round these parts man.

11 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

I had a 70+ gust several years ago. Cut a large cedar tree in half .

Towhead one is 7 + and my second edition is 2+ .. getting old round these parts man.

Dang. It was number 1. I think we we joined this board in 2003, lot history with some folks. You've been one of my favorites. Happy New Year.

North wilkesboro area in foothills was like I yeow cold freezing this afternoon around 3pm I was walking in that wind and it felt like 18 or 20 degrees the way it had felt on my face and just got home it's getting cloudy out there the way it looks, and I think models missed it. The weather channel yah yah they say old stuff no precipitation of any kind they say temperature in low 50's what a joke it's cold out THERE.... I don't believe what they say my post what you all said yep it's right mountain and foothills are cold up here i love it makes me sleep so good. Let's hope snow falls where you guys are ❄⛄

42 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Still no snow but this is easily my biggest wind event for the season here. Just had a gust to 73! That's coming from an ultrasonic wind sensor that's usually dead on. My house is pretty sturdy but that one rocked it good. Strange because nothing else has been above the mid-50's. 

Nice Joe! Keep safe. The snow looks to be on its way. 

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Dang! How bout Burnsville?? Was wanting to eat at the Snap Dragon!

Yeah, it's one of the places they'll closed just with the anticipation of bad weather. I guarantee the gate is locked on Hwy 80S in Busick already.

SnapDragon is OK. Food's good. Very small place though, tends to get crowded quick. His restaurant next door "The Garden Deli"is a great lunch though.

1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

Yeah, it's one of the places they'll closed just with the anticipation of bad weather. I guarantee the gate is locked on Hwy 80S in Busick already.

SnapDragon is OK. Food's good. Very small place though, tends to get crowded quick. His restaurant next door "The Garden Deli"is a great lunch though.

Thanks! Never been there, Mt Mitchell in 40 years of living about 2 hours away! Want to see some snow, not sure I see any next weekend!?

Archived