Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/29/2016 at 10:50 PM, SnoJoe said:

Jason, I bought the Orion system from Columbia a little over a year ago. I love it and highly recommend it. Never a problem and you'll love the software.

https://columbiaweather.com/products/weather-stations/fixed-base/orion-weather-station/

Joe:

i would like your input on the Columbia Orion Weather Station with the Ultrasonic wind anemometer.

1. Have you been able to easily get yours to report to CWOP or Weather Underground or to show on the Columbia Orion weather station site?

2. And maintenance issues?  Seems like I read the PTU model was subject to drift and was suggested to be replaced every few years.   Any issues with birds perching on the wind and precipitation sensors and crapping on it impacting performance?

3. How much $$ did you have to put into yours to get it up and running?

Hi Bill,

1 -I don't have mine connected to any outside reporting sites so I'm not sure. I have another one installed at my beach house and they link seamlessly through the WeatherMaster software. Anytime, anywhere, I can access both at the same time. I love the software. You do have to buy the PC interface though.

2 - I've only had them for a little over a year now but have had zero issues. I did get the optional bird spikes and they seem to really work. Especially at the beach. That one is mounted on a 8 foot tripod met tower right on the dunes. I was worried about the seagulls but have never seen one close to it. Same with the one here. For this one I opted to go with a 240w heater that heats the full body, sensor arm, transducer, and anemometer. That will be a must if you get this for your Linville house.

3 - The sets ran about 5k each but that included installation, calibration, and their in house monitoring service. They can detect problems and correct them from there. They can also do some minor calibrations also. I did have to pay for the met tower at the beach and I think it ran about $600. I also have probably a grand in electrical infrastructure. 

All in all, I love mine. Just for giggles I left my Davis pro 2's up and running, just in case!!:-)

20 hours ago, snowbird1230 said:

Well this is a surprise..It is pouring the snow in Graham County all the way to the valley floor!!

Same here. We left heading to sc and it had just started. I saw some pictures on Facebook of what looked like a couple of inches on winding stairs gap.

Was a nice little snow. I said something about this a couple of days ago and it was dismissed lol.

Yeah I got some reports of this out of Haywood Co and was extremely surprised. 850mb and 700mb temps were modeled to be warm from the get go but looks like certain pockets kept a frozen column for a duration as precip began. Good job Met! I dismissed it because even high res data was showing 700mb temps of 4-5c and 850mb temps 3-4c. Conventional meteorology says that would be enough for full melt to occur. This is why I love living in WNC 1-2 degrees can mean a huge difference in winter! I still think end of this week into the weekend will be wintery for WNC if nothing more then some overrunning precip. Would love to see accumulation pics from last night if anyone has them! I also think we could see a little NWF action on Wednesday and maybe more snow showers Thursday.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Yeah I got some reports of this out of Haywood Co and was extremely surprised. 850mb and 700mb temps were modeled to be warm from the get go but looks like certain pockets kept a frozen column for a duration as precip began. Good job Met! I dismissed it because even high res data was showing 700mb temps of 4-5c and 850mb temps 3-4c. Conventional meteorology says that would be enough for full melt to occur. This is why I love living in WNC 1-2 degrees can mean a huge difference in winter! I still think end of this week into the weekend will be wintery for WNC if nothing more then some overrunning precip. Would love to see accumulation pics from last night if anyone has them! I also think we could see a little NWF action on Wednesday and maybe more snow showers Thursday.

Oh yeah it was a surprise even to see the snow in downtown Waynesville all 2 blocks! Lol. I think places like Balsam, and soco I believe got in on it. It was not light either but pretty heavy at times. Hopefully we can get something this next week. If not we will just enjoy the cold weather.

Looking closely at our backyard it seems like around the 5th when the arctic front comes through we may see some light snow and maybe a bit of some upslope snow. Still though a lot may change as no one model seems to have honed in on a resolution. Then it looks like the first wave may produce some very light snow according to the GFS.

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Looking closely at our backyard it seems like around the 6th when the arctic front comes through we may see some light snow and maybe a bit of some upslope snow. Still though a lot may change as no one model seems to have honed in on a resolution.

No. We're holding you to it. I'll be buying milk Wednesday. 

14 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Watch out for heavy downpours and some thunderstorms later on today. 

Yeah I heard about that.and said something maybe severe thunderstorm oh well we need that rain for drought. And I saw where we may get snow Saturday of the day with anywhere from 1-3 inches of that accumulations. I hope it does it put that big smile on that one for good one there

20 minutes ago, Bob2016 said:

Yeah I heard about that.and said something maybe severe thunderstorm oh well we need that rain for drought. And I saw where we may get snow Saturday of the day with anywhere from 1-3 inches of that accumulations. I hope it does it put that big smile on that one for good one there

Bob, were very glad to have ya here buddy. But...im not trying to be rude could you please try and clarify your posts a lil better. I have a hard time trying to understand what your saying. Again no harm or being mean. Thanks oh and im heath btw like the candy bar.

18 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

This is going to be either be an exciting week or a heartbreaking week  for someone or everyone.

Absolutely, but I still like where we're sitting better than anyone with this setup. Huge hit as it stands now yet IMO, least likely to bust on temps and any trend to the N/NW. 

Archived