Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Too be fair we had a jackpot storm last year...

Listen bro we are due jackpots yearly. This is the mountain thread not the freaking coastal plains thread that receives 1 inch of snow a year. My climo snowfall is around 40 plus inches. That means we get snow quite a bit considering where we are located. Don't be scared to want more bro.

1 hour ago, Meteorhobbyist said:

Imo we can't really complain about a modest storm when, just a few weeks ago, we had above normal temps with no apparent end in sight. A few inches will be welcomed. 

Why is someone who studies meteors for a hobby wandering around a weather forum?

3 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Jason Boyer just "guaranteed" this won't be anything major. Just some light snow in places. 

Fritschy made note of that in the other thread. A lot of confidence for 4 days out. He even had an accumulation map showing 2 inches for the mountains. He could very well be right, but seems just a little premature.

1 minute ago, ncjoaquin said:

Fritschy made note of that in the other thread. A lot of confidence for 4 days out. He even had an accumulation map showing 2 inches for the mountains. He could very well be right, but seems just a little premature.

Right. That's 2 inches in the mountains. Not where you live.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Listen bro we are due jackpots yearly. This is the mountain thread not the freaking coastal plains thread that receives 1 inch of snow a year. My climo snowfall is around 40 plus inches. That means we get snow quite a bit considering where we are located. Don't be scared to want more bro.

You make me laugh. I just try not to be greedy. Trust me though, I want more.

Hahaha you bruhs are cracking me up. I think the models have a lot of work to do before Saturday. Way too early for Boyer to make guarantees. Nailing down northern stream interaction, tilt of storm when it gets to gulf, timing of first wave (which will bring more snow then most expect Thursday), and resolving whether wave interacts with Great Lakes Low and placement Atlantic Highs takes a lot of math. That is an unusually high number of puzzle pieces for models to put together, not to mention topographic challenges when the system reaches the Apps. Still large amounts of room for adjustment and watch Thursday like Met1985 mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Hahaha you bruhs are cracking me up. I think the models have a lot of work to do before Saturday. Way too early for Boyer to make guarantees. Nailing down northern stream interaction, tilt of storm when it gets to gulf, timing of first wave (which will bring more snow then most expect Thursday), and resolving whether wave interacts with Great Lakes Low and placement Atlantic Highs takes a lot of math. That is an unusually high number of puzzle pieces for models to put together, not to mention topographic challenges when the system reaches the Apps. Still large amounts of room for adjustment and watch Thursday like Met1985 mentioned.

My only problem, just being with the current models, specifically the GFS, I'm too far north to be excited right now so I'm just gonna relax and not think too much about the storm until something changes.

16 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

My only problem, just being with the current models, specifically the GFS, I'm too far north to be excited right now so I'm just gonna relax and not think too much about the storm until something changes.

NO freaking way the low runs to south Florida. Iv seen the GFS do this crap before. It's out to lunch and will be back in a bit.

22 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Hey Bruh! Lol good analysis and yes we have a lot of time left. Yes do not sleep on Thursdays wave. It looks much more interesting currently. Keep us poster bruh!

Just now, Met1985 said:

NO freaking way the low runs to south Florida. Iv seen the GFS do this crap before. It's out to lunch and will be back in a bit.

It actually wouldn't surprise me unless it interacts with the artic jet. There's nothing to really pull it north unless the SER strengthens or like I mentioned it interacting with the jet.

2 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

It actually wouldn't surprise me unless it interacts with the artic jet. There's nothing to really pull it north unless the SER strengthens or like I mentioned it interacting with the jet.

Systems just don't drop south for nothing. We have absolutely no blocking at all. No negative NAO at all. Just my opinion and you don't see that very often as hurricanes come up through the Gulf not north to south. That's not our pattern. 

Agree! This idea of fast and south isn't adding up to me. No blocking up north. Nice cold antecedent conditions.

Nearly every year the GFS starts with this super south low and every 6 hour run moves it north 25 miles. We already saw that with the 18Z. I mean, Birmingham, AL would get more snow than most places up north. Not saying that couldn't happen, but is really difficult to pin down at 4+ days.

I think 00Z tomorrow runs will be the set to watch (not tonight and not 12Z tomorrow either). System will be sampled late tomorrow and might even be close enough to get a good satellite representation by then too.

Hey all... Just heard moments ago about winter storm Helena is heading this way.. also temperature suppose to drop down by 4pm tomorrow afternoon.then Friday evening we are suppose to be getting snow here until Saturday afternoon.. they said it was going to spread snow from Jackson Mississippi all the way up here. And snow all the way across eastern NC towards the beach including states of Mississippi.alabama.into Georgia south Carolina part of it.. to where we all are so far they haven't said yet what the accumulations will be but very cold air will push south..and are watching for ice that is a new concern.. Asheville is suppose to get down to 11 degrees.so I am watching for changes.due to that weather i just heard.well we may get more winter storms after this one..who knows what's gonna happen all we can do is watch for it.. I am getting stuff ready for snow cream to make 

2 hours ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Agree! This idea of fast and south isn't adding up to me. No blocking up north. Nice cold antecedent conditions.

Nearly every year the GFS starts with this super south low and every 6 hour run moves it north 25 miles. We already saw that with the 18Z. I mean, Birmingham, AL would get more snow than most places up north. Not saying that couldn't happen, but is really difficult to pin down at 4+ days.

I think 00Z tomorrow runs will be the set to watch (not tonight and not 12Z tomorrow either). System will be sampled late tomorrow and might even be close enough to get a good satellite representation by then too.

Yep completely agree. I remember either last year or the year before it pulled some super low track the all if a sudden it bounced back north in a big way. I think this will happen also this time around. 4 days is a long time dealing with this little system. We have already seen a LOT of different looks.

20 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yep completely agree. I remember either last year or the year before it pulled some super low track the all if a sudden it bounced back north in a big way. I think this will happen also this time around. 4 days is a long time dealing with this little system. We have already seen a LOT of different looks.

Met, I've see it go from Southern Georgia to a cutter in 4 runs. Not saying this time around but more times than not, I'm with you guys, it will come NW.

It's been such weird year though we might get thunder snow and it starts a forest fire. Who knows at this point.

2 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Met, I've see it go from Southern Georgia to a cutter in 4 runs. Not saying this time around but more times than not, I'm with you guys, it will come NW.

It's been such weird year though we might get thunder snow and it starts a forest fire. Who knows at this point.

Lol no freaking kidding!  Lol comment of the day! It has been a very weird season but hey its 2017 now!

6 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

I feel like that bottom line should be saved in a history museum or something.

Archived