• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

I would go to wildcat though. That place is awesome, lol. Something about Pinkham Notch. The snow piles up and stays there. 

But yeah, your GF coming off an ankle injury would def make wildcat a no-go. Not exactly a beginners mountain. Cranmore has amazing views. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can someone involved in the ski industry give me their best guess if either attitash or preferably Cranmore will be open when I go to North Conway Dec 19-22.

my girlfriend is healed from her ankle injury and wants to try skiing again.

were staying 2 mins away from Cranmore, so obviously I'd prefer to go there.

Thanks

You could also take the 20 min jaunt over to Shawnee Peak.  If I had to guess though, Attitash will likely have more terrain open by that time given their superior snowmaking from my past experience.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Shouldn't you be figuring out how to get some good IPA's to me for a TH trade..rather than incessantly trolling me ?

Read your post, that's basically what it says.

And don't worry Ekster got in on the MBC lottery, so you should be good there. And we don't want to get Bissell too early, we want to send fresh stuff.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Read your post, that's basically what it says.

And don't worry Ekster got in on the MBC lottery, so you should be good there. And we don't want to get Bissell too early, we want to send fresh stuff.

Lol. Yeah anything past about 30-45 days becomes unfresh. You guys need to let me know about the timeframe and I'll hit TH for a few fresh batches 

Thanks for the advice guys. I just had in my head whenever I would check it would be like mid December these places were opening. Maybe I'm misremembering.

i will drive if I have to. I like Wildcat a lot, but I don't think that's really a beginner mountain, as some have said. I've skied Attitash many times, since my family has a timeshare there, and I also don't know how beginner friendly they are.

Hopefully we have a good 6-7 weeks coming up and this isn't even an issue 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I would go to wildcat though. That place is awesome, lol. Something about Pinkham Notch. The snow piles up and stays there. 

But yeah, your GF coming off an ankle injury would def make wildcat a no-go. Not exactly a beginners mountain. Cranmore has amazing views. 

I like Wildcat a lot. Never had a bad day there. Like you said, it's probably a no go based on her injury and skill level.

I skied Cranmore in March during the last week. It was like 75 degrees out, and conditions were pretty poor. I'd like to go back when they are better 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Ok. What can you get for quantities? Do they limit it

Oh yeah, on their big beers. Some of the other flagship beers you can get more easily. Let us know what styles you're looking for and we can put a care package together to get you through those nights without power.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I need to try some of the NH mountains. I've really only ever done Sunapee there. But I've done Sunday River/Sugarloaf in ME, and Killington/Mt. Snow/Okemo in VT. 

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Oh yeah, on their big beers. Some of the other flagship beers you can get more easily. Let us know what styles you're looking for and we can put a care package together to get you through those nights without power.

Lol. Let's continue on our FB chat so as not to upset other posters here that don't care for me

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I need to try some of the NH mountains. I've really only ever done Sunapee there. But I've done Sunday River/Sugarloaf in ME, and Killington/Mt. Snow/Okemo in VT. 

The NH mountains are def more skier's mountains and not resorts. Cranmore is a little more resort-y being in N Conway, but still nothing like the typical VT resorts.

But the skiing can be awesome in some of those NH places. I'd recommend Cannon too when it is not windy. Been years since I skied there, but it's got premium terrain if you want gnarly. Only problem is the place can be brutal when it's cold NW wind. Bretton Woods is a good mountain if you just want cruisers but amazing views...not much gnarly terrain though. A couple runs. I had an awesome day skiing there on hero snow under bluebird skies and 45F temps in early April 2014 with still huge snow pack. I actually haven't done Sunapee yet but want to go. I have always heard it's a really solid mid-tier mountain and you can often get solid lift ticket deals.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The NH mountains are def more skier's mountains and not resorts. Cranmore is a little more resort-y being in N Conway, but still nothing like the typical VT resorts.

But the skiing can be awesome in some of those NH places. I'd recommend Cannon too when it is not windy. Been years since I skied there, but it's got premium terrain if you want gnarly. Only problem is the place can be brutal when it's cold NW wind. Bretton Woods is a good mountain if you just want cruisers but amazing views...not much gnarly terrain though. A couple runs. I had an awesome day skiing there on hero snow under bluebird skies and 45F temps in early April 2014 with still huge snow pack. I actually haven't done Sunapee yet but want to go. I have always heard it's a really solid mid-tier mountain and you can often get solid lift ticket deals.

My only knock on Sunapee is the crowds can be a bit rough because it's so easy to get there from BOS. But if you catch a midweek or cold day that turns the casuals away, you can turn and burn some nice trails.

It was eye opening when I first hit Sugarloaf. Not only is the terrain steeper than what I was used to, but the lines were nonexistent. I'm not sure I've ever been so tired from a day of skiing. We were just skiing right back onto the lift and back up for another run. But they can also be a bit rough on cold, NW outbreaks.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My only knock on Sunapee is the crowds can be a bit rough because it's so easy to get there from BOS. But if you catch a midweek or cold day that turns the casuals away, you can turn and burn some nice trails.

It was eye opening when I first hit Sugarloaf. Not only is the terrain steeper than what I was used to, but the lines were nonexistent. I'm not sure I've ever been so tired from a day of skiing. We were just skiing right back onto the lift and back up for another run. But they can also be a bit rough on cold, NW outbreaks.

You being a rotating shift guy and an hour from SR Wildcat, hit them up midweek Monday to Thursday non holiday.  You will thank me later

55 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's what Telluride was like when I went back in January....it was no lines the entire time except on a couple lifts on Saturday, and even those were just the popular family lifts. My legs were total jello by the last chair. I was usually doing nothing but cruisers the final 3 hours because I was completely gassed from the shear amount of skiing I'd get in during the morning...and of course, the terrain is about as gnarly as it gets on some of those Telluride runs.

The brutal cold is really the only drawback about Sugarloaf other than the driving distance from this area. But it's a big time mountain minus the big time crowds.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's what Telluride was like when I went back in January....it was no lines the entire time except on a couple lifts on Saturday, and even those were just the popular family lifts. My legs were total jello by the last chair. I was usually doing nothing but cruisers the final 3 hours because I was completely gassed from the shear amount of skiing I'd get in during the morning...and of course, the terrain is about as gnarly as it gets on some of those Telluride runs.

The brutal cold is really the only drawback about Sugarloaf other than the driving distance from this area. But it's a big time mountain minus the big time crowds.

Ski Sugarloaf from Mid Feb to Mid April.

Archived