Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike the 06z run of the GFS, the 12z looks like the northern stream is going to not drop off any energy so this run will likely be farther north with more of a lead wave instead of with a second wave. This will likely just result in a stronger cold frontal passage with the precip out ahead of any winter weather except in like Iowa or maybe NW MO.

12z GEM is going to go ice storm. Looks to be stalling the front a bit farther north though. KS/..Central/N MO would be in the icy air while southern MO and OK would get to enjoy mild 60 degree weather initially... with the cold air eventually seeping farther S across OK and then E.  AR probably misses out on the ice. 

The GEM is an ice storm and the 12z GFS is a strong frontal passage with nothing but rain out ahead. The GFS is notorious for losing systems and bringing them back. We will see what the euro has to say. My preference is usually the euro for long range (6-10 days) and the GFS once we get within 48-72 hours. 

12z Euro going ice storm as well. Crushing ice storm for OK, (except E OK).... Kansas, Much of Missouri (except for far southern parts). It'll start as ice in N AR and S MO, but will change over to rain at some point it looks like... at least this run. It may change back over to ice/sleet/snow as the system departs... Snow probably in far N MO, Northern and western KS... Possibly changing to snow in central KS to NW MO as the system departs.

39 minutes ago, JoMo said:

12z Euro going ice storm as well. Crushing ice storm for OK, (except E OK).... Kansas, Much of Missouri (except for far southern parts). It'll start as ice in N AR and S MO, but will change over to rain at some point it looks like... at least this run. It may change back over to ice/sleet/snow as the system departs... Snow probably in far N MO, Northern and western KS... Possibly changing to snow in central KS to NW MO as the system departs.

The Euro says 8C at 850mb in Oklahoma City, while the surface is 30F. I hope you guys don't get that thermal setup with that much ice. This is pretty far out in the future, so there's still plenty of time for the models to shift.

Tulsa NWS showing 1/3+ inch of ice across most of NE OK down to McAlester and back to OKC with significant snow in NC/NW OK and S Kansas next weekend.

That's pretty far out for them to be putting that on their hazard page so it seems they're thinking there is a legitimate concern.

EDIT: Both Norman and Tulsa are now mentioning the potential in their text products.

1 hour ago, Weatherdemon said:

Tulsa NWS showing 1/3+ inch of ice across most of NE OK down to McAlester and back to OKC with significant snow in NC/NW OK and S Kansas next weekend.

That's pretty far out for them to be putting that on their hazard page so it seems they're thinking there is a legitimate concern.

EDIT: Both Norman and Tulsa are now mentioning the potential in their text products.

Glad most of it stays abit west/NW of me. If not snow...forget it.

Wow that's some hefty totals even if sleet ..if I'm reading this right that's 3- 5" sleet..at least with a 5:1 ratio does that sound right JoMo? Especially up here in STL or will it be more snow if taking verbatim..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, STL Scott said:

Wow that's some hefty totals even if sleet ..if I'm reading this right that's 3- 5" sleet..at least with a 5:1 ratio does that sound right JoMo? Especially up here in STL or will it be more snow if taking verbatim..

Not sure if you can convert it like that or not. I was just showing the farther NW location of the 'frozen' precip on the GFS ens. members.

Guess this needs to be watched for sure, Jeeez why ice! I hate hate hate ice storms! Hopefully its another panel run of e8 or e18 happening lol. Way way way too far out for me to buy this junk again haha. Like the xmas storm all over except ice this time lol. But yea you watch it will probably happen beings its something most of us dread and hate.

1 hour ago, STL Scott said:

Well...cherry picking E4 verbatim it is the 3-4" range of sleet...liquid equivalent. The snow clown map is not that far from being maxed out. So basically it's about as close to a statistical impossibility as you can get. But, yeah, many of the members are hefty sleet amounts.

1 hour ago, bdgwx said:

Well...cherry picking E4 verbatim it is the 3-4" range of sleet...liquid equivalent. The snow clown map is not that far from being maxed out. So basically it's about as close to a statistical impossibility as you can get. But, yeah, many of the members are hefty sleet amounts.

The E4 ensemble has 48" of snow in Missouri. The storm better stall for about a week. That doesn't usually happen. Actually the GEFS ensemble plumes have a maximum of 5.78" of QPF in Missouri from day-4.5 to day-9. What is the usual sleet-depth to water ratio in these more substantial sleet storms?

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/cguastini/gefs/EMCGEFSplumes.html

Archived