• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

Forgot about the Weeklies until now...... Chiefs coming on so short version...

They don't look bad. Long stretch of normalish temps after the cold ends towards the end of the month. Back to below normal and cold mid-Jan. Bunch of snow on the control run. End of Dec might kind of be blah.  Ens mean actually has a trough over us a lot of the time once we get into January. Overall, not showing a 'winter cancel' through mid-Jan. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Forgot about the Weeklies until now...... Chiefs coming on so short version...

They don't look bad. Long stretch of normalish temps after the cold ends towards the end of the month. Back to below normal and cold mid-Jan. Bunch of snow on the control run. End of Dec might kind of be blah.  Ens mean actually has a trough over us a lot of the time once we get into January. Overall, not showing a 'winter cancel' through mid-Jan. 

Could be a pretty good stretch there after the next week or so where things actually start happening for us other than dry cold. I actually liked the weeklies this week, which is the first time since pretty much October 5th I've actually been able to say that. It's a shame when you have to warm up so it can snow. Lol. Good problem to have though I guess.

Chiefs can never win games very convincingly. They always have to make it close. 

Speaking of close, the GFS is probably eroding the cold air way too quickly with the system ejecting out of the SW on the 16th-17th. Probably an ice maker. 

7 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Chiefs can never win games very convincingly. They always have to make it close. 

Speaking of close, the GFS is probably eroding the cold air way too quickly with the system ejecting out of the SW on the 16th-17th. Probably an ice maker. 

At least this winter is shaping up more active than last.   Wouldn't take much.

9 minutes ago, JoMo said:

And then we have the long duration overrunning event with the closed off low over Utah towards the end of the run. The fun never ends with the GFS.

If we don't comment on it anymore maybe it will come true. Lol. 

I was talking to my dad about the upcoming system that you mentioned with the ice the other day. It wouldn't surprise me a bit. Too much cold air at the surface for there not to be.

00z Euro is showing an even stronger -EPO. The big ball of crazy (PV) is farther south this run so it's colder farther south. The Dec 16-17 storm would produce a swath of snow across the northern 1/2 of KS/MO. Looks like overrunning precip developing on Day 9-10. 

2 hours ago, JoMo said:

Nice snow for central and northern Missouri on Wed. (system tracks farther south) The stuff across southern Missouri is probably a mix.

gfs_asnow_scus_25.png

And no continuity after this with it's 00z run from last night....

Last Friday we were seeing the same thing for this past Wednesday and we see how it turned out. 12z GFS was fun to look at. I'll reserve judgement for next Wednesday on Sunday nights run. 

12z Euro stream of consciousness....... Big Bertha up in Canada has a different tilt this run of the Euro so the cold will end up farther north with a stronger SW ridge early on. There's something coming through in the flow on Thursday that may give some frozen light precip to primarily OK/AR. Still a stout -EPO with a system developing in the western US. Frozen precip developing north of the cold front which is in Central OK still.... probably a giant icy mess for many with heavier snow in northern MO and Iowa on next Friday into Sat morn. Next round looks to be coming Sat night and starts in OK. Looks good for OK/AR and MO people. Next round looks to be coming on Monday but that's the end of the run.

It's light precip for the most part but it is some kind of frozen much of the time.

THIS RUN IS AWESOME!!! lol

9 hours ago, KC metro said:

Last Friday we were seeing the same thing for this past Wednesday and we see how it turned out. 12z GFS was fun to look at. I'll reserve judgement for next Wednesday on Sunday nights run. 

Annnnnd it's gone..... lol

00z Euro stream of consciousness..... Big Bertha's tilt is back to a more neutral condition so the colder air is going to be farther south early on. Some very light amounts of precip showing up over SW MO and eventually farther north on Wed, might be some freezing drizzle or flurries. Friday looks like probably some freezing drizzle or flurries over NW AR, MO, KS, far NE OK., temps are warmer than the 12z run though. Warm bubble advancing into S KS and SW MO so changeover to rain in those areas by Friday afternoon, precip still pretty light. 999 surface low advancing just south of Joplin by Friday night, temps crashing behind it. Bit heavier precip up near KC. Trough was more open this time and had a more dominant wave up in Canada it looks like, so it was pretty progressive and moved through. 

Archived