Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Really drizzly out. Temp was 34 now its spiked up to 40 and started drizzling pretty good here. Tulsa just mentioned it but saying its freezing drizzle lol. Maybe in other areas still hovering around the freezing mark who knows.

Yea some drizzle here to but its 39 degrees here also. It did mess up i-44 around Tulsa Metro for an hour or 2 this morning with alot of cars in accidents.

Just now, Cerakoter1984 said:

NWS tulsa has essentially become the government subsidized version of AccuWeather over the last couple of years. They're pretty pathetic nowadays.

I agree, I noticed it since moving here how horrible their forecasts really are!!! I just didnt wanna be too negative but, its true. I want some of what they are smokin most times lol.

7 minutes ago, Spot said:

Yea but sure is nice to look at some digital snow for Christmas. lol

Man we all use that word "digital" a lot it seems anymore lol. It's still early man I am sure it will change again, many times lol ya know. I too would love some snow though, I havent seen a white xmas since 2009(and that was the only time I ever seen one lol). Had a little snow on xmas eve when I was probly 19 but that was a longggg time ago lol

27 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Man we all use that word "digital" a lot it seems anymore lol. It's still early man I am sure it will change again, many times lol ya know. I too would love some snow though, I havent seen a white xmas since 2009(and that was the only time I ever seen one lol). Had a little snow on xmas eve when I was probly 19 but that was a longggg time ago lol

Only seen one here to.  Seen a few ICE Christmas though.

52 minutes ago, KC metro said:

I'm originally from Alabama and just moved up here earlier this year. I've seen a white Christmas once in my lifetime.  

The xmas eve snow I remember was when I lived in NJ, grew up and was raised there most of my life. Now that I think of it there was about 5" of snow on the ground xmas day when I lived in Kansas City back in ehhh 02 I think it was, may have been 2001 though. I guess it depends on what someone considers a white xmas, to me its cold and actually snowing on xmas day lol. Been probly 3 or so times I remember there actually being snow on the ground on xmas though. My friend in Iowa said its a white xmas just about every year up his way!! He hates it lol.

7 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Nothing shocking on the 12z Euro ensembles. A lot of them had a frontal passage near or on Christmas so it could either be warm or cold depending on timing. Still a rather meh pattern through the end of the month.

Meh I hope that changes, Last year was bad enough with 49 at xmas lol. I do NOT want to see or feel that again haha

4 hours ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

NWS tulsa has essentially become the government subsidized version of AccuWeather over the last couple of years. They're pretty pathetic nowadays.

That is a pretty strong statement.  Please clarify.  

From my armchair perspective they are pretty good at severe weather, not so much at snow. Strictly anecdotal observation. 

To believe or not to believe lol. Man rain and 50 on wednesday, cmon now seriously 50 degrees again in december BOOOOO

Saturday
A slight chance of snow and sleet after 1pm. Cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 30 by 5pm. Southwest wind 15 to 20 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of snow and sleet before 7pm, then a chance of snow between 7pm and 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 8. North wind 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%

Saw a "Moon Dog" up here in western Iowa (probably also visible further south right now). Never seen that before so I had to Google it because it looked really similar to a Sun Dog. I wanted to get a picture but didn't want my food to get even more cold but a friend of mine did and for a phone camera turned out really well. 

received_1361444760556341.jpeg

The GFS and Euro seem to want to ramp up the snow in a small band on Saturday around the KC area or just slightly southwest. Most areas should see an 1" or so but in this band (should it develop) there could be 2-3". Of course, this is subject to change. 

16 hours ago, Ozarkwx said:

That is a pretty strong statement.  Please clarify.  

From my armchair perspective they are pretty good at severe weather, not so much at snow. Strictly anecdotal observation. 

They're incredibly erratic. Basically almost post model outcomes to the exact number. They miss at least 3 tornado warnings in far east and SE oklahoma every year it seems like. I've just always thought that if they want to criticize amateurs and enthusiasts for discussing weather through public outlets, they should do a better job. Same and similar statements apply to the CPC.

36 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Watching each GFS run is frustrating. The band looks fairly impressive in KS  and Nothern MO.  6 hours later it falls apart right in the corner of NW AR.  Mother Nature must hate me...

Yep, it's annoying, so is the -PNA!

7 minutes ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Not liking the warm up Im seeing on the extended outlook at all!!! Man I really hope it doesn't happen, let it wait a week til after Christmas jeeesh. I need something to put me in the holiday mood lol. Jomo what does Spots surprise storm look like still for xmas lol, probly nothing or rain at this point haha.

Well the 12z GEM is way west and rain for pretty much everyone. The 12z GFS is rain for us, but snow for central and western KS. The 12z Euro is moving a system across northern Kansas, so rain as well.

Weeklies later today to see when we might break up the +AO, +EPO look and if we ever get rid of the -PNA.

Archived