Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

2 hours ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

I'm so sick of seeing storms become cutters. It just doesn't matter anymore it seems like. Nino=NW shift. Niña? NW shift. Unreal. Same pattern so far as last year, just colder.

IKR.  Lakes cutters is about all that happens now days. If its not a lakes cutter.. its stuck SW somewhere never to be seen, its sheared away or squashed down into the gulf its seems.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spot said:

IKR.  Lakes cutters is about all that happens now days. If its not a lakes cutter.. its stuck SW somewhere never to be seen, its sheared away or squashed down into the gulf its seems.

Yeah. And we have a nice warm northern GOM just sitting down there waiting to be tapped into but the only time any moisture returns off it is about the time the cutters hit Chicago. It really has become frustrating.

I just checked NOAA and I'm just outside of KC and it just says possible snow and freezing drizzle accumulation less than 1/10 inch. Must be talking about ice. I thought we'd get more snow than that. Weather Channel app says 3-5", as well as Storm App, and AccuWeather app says 2-4" total.

6 minutes ago, kwolfe904 said:

I just checked NOAA and I'm just outside of KC and it just says possible snow and freezing drizzle accumulation less than 1/10 inch. Must be talking about ice. I thought we'd get more snow than that. Weather Channel app says 3-5", as well as Storm App, and AccuWeather app says 2-4" total.

Guess you can tell which apps are using the GFS for input. I think the GFS is probably overdoing it. 

This is going to be interesting on Saturday. All models agree with the snow moving in and even a smaller heavier band developing over east central KS moving NW over KC or just slightly south. The issue seems to be the amounts. The new 18z GFS puts down 4-5" around KC while the NAM is around 1". BUFKIT data shows an average of 1.6" for KC. It'll be interesting if the GFS verifies or starts trending drier or if the other models trend wetter. 

Ok, Weeklies aren't going to change much from Monday. Stormy in the west and up in Alaska and points on the other side of the world until around Jan 10th or so and by Jan 15th or so, then the trough shifts east to the central US and Canada. 

Temps in an hour or so but wouldn't expect much change from Monday's outlook. Warm for us until mid-Jan and then cold.

Bleh a wash out boring warm Christmas ugh, ok unless something happens I am already losing hope for this winter. I know its early but really, so boring here for snow! Been talking about moving back to KC again or north and I am seriously considering it lol. Beautiful here, clean city but the weather and the warmth just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

Man I am at a loss of words, that is sad, pathetic and its really depressing. I for surely hope that changes, will be like a xmas in florida again for the second year lol. Alaska anyone? Road trip? One of my childhood buddies lives in alaska actually, he's in the military living on base there. He's constantly sending me pics of all the crazy snow they get!!!! Guess I can just print some out and tape them to the windows xmas eve lmao.

1 hour ago, NwWhiteOut said:

Man I am at a loss of words, that is sad, pathetic and its really depressing. I for surely hope that changes, will be like a xmas in florida again for the second year lol. Alaska anyone? Road trip? One of my childhood buddies lives in alaska actually, he's in the military living on base there. He's constantly sending me pics of all the crazy snow they get!!!! Guess I can just print some out and tape them to the windows xmas eve lmao.

Crazy right.

3 hours ago, JoMo said:

Ok, Weeklies aren't going to change much from Monday. Stormy in the west and up in Alaska and points on the other side of the world until around Jan 10th or so and by Jan 15th or so, then the trough shifts east to the central US and Canada. 

Temps in an hour or so but wouldn't expect much change from Monday's outlook. Warm for us until mid-Jan and then cold.

Unless that dang euro shows a mean of 4"+ I'm not even going to think about snow again.

37 minutes ago, KC metro said:

00z NAM still shows about 1" of snow for much of KS and MO. There may be some isolated 2" pockets. Will be interesting to see if the GFS hangs on to its more aggressive solution.

NAM and GFS both now put Des Moines under several inches, but it's hard to trust these slim deformation? bands on these models 24 hours or more out. NWS DSM is playing it safe and holding onto 1-2 inches and light ice potential. Also, I've been participating in the Ohio Valley/ Lakes boards for a long time now. Am I actually supposed to be here for Des Moines area?

00z GFS still holding onto the 3-5" totals around KC. I'm starting to think a vorticity lobe will approach the KC area Saturday afternoon and a heavier band of snow will develop in east central KS and stretch through NW MO. The question is will 1-2" or 3-5" of snow fall within this band. The difference between the NAM, GFS and Euro in terms of amounts is pretty significant only 36 hours out. KC is going with 1" or 1.5" for now. May need to increase those totals in the next forecast package.

24 minutes ago, KC metro said:

00z GFS still holding onto the 3-5" totals around KC. I'm starting to think a vorticity lobe will approach the KC area Saturday afternoon and a heavier band of snow will develop in east central KS and stretch through NW MO. The question is will 1-2" or 3-5" of snow fall within this band. The difference between the NAM, GFS and Euro in terms of amounts is pretty significant only 36 hours out. KC is going with 1" or 1.5" for now. May need to increase those totals in the next forecast package.

I would be extremely hesitant to increase totals. 

00z GFS is interesting on the Christmas system this run. Would be a rain to snow situation as the system is initially neutrally tilted before it tilts positive. This keeps it from getting too wrapped up so it just kind of meanders across the south. 

00z Euro is weaker with the Christmas storm because of a stronger system developing to it's west in the NE PAC. The system will pass to the south of most of us it looks like. On the NW fringes there may be some kind of frozen precip. Christmas is colder this run. 

NWS in KC have upped snow totals to 3-4" tomorrow and this is primarily due to ratios of 20:1 or even 25:1 instead of 10:1 which is what the models base their output on. They even point out that the BUFKIT data shows almost 8" for the KC area. This will need to be watched but confidence is increasing that east central KS to NW MO could see 3+". 

Archived