Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, JoMo said:

The 06z GFS parallel, and the 12z Canadian have something frozen on Monday for AR/MO. There's a lot of energy flying around and the models aren't sure if they want to crush it, or phase it.

It's interesting to note that the 12z GFS clears the EPO region out much quicker this run and a stout -EPO is building. 

It is very interesting indeed. This coming at the same time that convection begins to build to our SW. The 0z euro had a storm waiting over the Baja on day 10. Could fit the timing of the Christmas storm on the GFS. I'm ready to get a clearer idea of how this month closes. Could be fun if all the chips fall just right.

3 minutes ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

HP up top is much stronger this run. Just blasts everything out of the way. Much colder too.

Yeah, there's a northern system that comes much farther south than the previous run that crushes it.  If you look at hour 132, the 500 MB vorticity map, you can see it over SD. Last nights run had it north of the Canadian border. 

8 minutes ago, The Waterboy said:

Where does this put us in terms of ice/snow now?  Mid Atlantic forum post said the ULL is in SE Mo @120 versus No. IL on the 00z.  That's got to be a good sign.  

Largely no change for our immediate area other than a greater chance for flurries I guess? :(

3 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Yeah, there's a northern system that comes much farther south than the previous run that crushes it.  If you look at hour 132, the 500 MB vorticity map, you can see it over SD. Last nights run had it north of the Canadian border. 

Yeah. Quite a change there for sure. Oh well. Here's hoping for the GFS Christmas miracle storm. Lol

I don't know, there might still be a few surprises before that. Not quite in the 120 hr, Euro 'lock it in' zone yet. Also it's very messy (from an energy perspective) and shifted things east later in the run. Going to still be interesting to watch what happens with all that.

1 hour ago, JoMo said:

I don't know, there might still be a few surprises before that. Not quite in the 120 hr, Euro 'lock it in' zone yet. Also it's very messy (from an energy perspective) and shifted things east later in the run. Going to still be interesting to watch what happens with all that.

True also. I see the potential there for something but just not letting it get my hopes up. Maybe it will be a surprise.

18z GFS consistent with the 12z solution showing a rain to snow event for portions of KS and MO on Saturday. Confidence is low on the potential track of the system and whether or not there will be any appreciable accumulation. The concept however is now on the table and is depicted on the Euro and GFS.

Euro weeklies today...... Temps and stuff will be in another hour:

From the general pattern... Looks like a trough running from Alaska (and on the other side of the world) down the west coast and into parts of the west that lasts until around Mid-Jan when the trough moves out onto the Plains and a -EPO builds. It stays that way until the end of the run 00z Jan 27th. Assuming it's correct, it would probably be warm the first half of Jan and then be frigid the second half.

Control is pretty wild looking with lots of blocking and -AO type of look with periods of -EPO and just overall wild looking, lol...

Temps when they arrive........

Meh who knows, we are digging in towards mid december and still seeing the 50 degree mark here off and on. I really had some high hopes for this winter because of summer being so hot usually spells a decent winter. Guess time will certainly tell what this pattern will do for us all. Would be nice if that xmas storm would surprise and hit us all lol!!

Euro weekly temps are warm at the end of the month through mid-Jan and then go below normal about mid-Jan to the end of the run. If the trough winds up farther east than the Euro depicts, than the coldest temps will shift from the western US to the Plains sooner. 

Not as promising on the 00z GFS unless you live in IA. Rain still changes to snow over KS and MO but the heavier band is up in IA. This looks like of those situations where by the time it gets cold enough for snow the precipitation has moved out. Never a good set up for accumulation. It's still a ways out and something to watch. 

44 minutes ago, KC metro said:

Not as promising on the 00z GFS unless you live in IA. Rain still changes to snow over KS and MO but the heavier band is up in IA. This looks like of those situations where by the time it gets cold enough for snow the precipitation has moved out. Never a good set up for accumulation. It's still a ways out and something to watch. 

Just knowing how the past couple years have been in model land with any winter systems in this part of the country, we might just be wasting breath talking about this thing. Relatively lame severe and winter seasons lately. 

00z Euro still has a stripe of snow across far NW MO, and northern KS, and a new little stripe across roughly the I-44 corridor. Wouldn't amount to much.

Edit: Maybe a light mix or something on the 20th-21st down in Arkansas.

Edit 2: And then a more consolidated storm this run on the 22nd for KS/MO with more light frozen precip. All likely to change though.

Looking at the 06z GFS....it was wetter than the 00z model. Still believe 1-2" of snow could accumulate in parts of KS and MO. Best chance would be over NE Kansas and NW Missouri. The track and timing are a little different between the Euro and GFS. Euro takes the track more to the NW where the GFS takes it a little further south. The Euro would also change over to snow quicker than the GFS. Still a lot to be worked out over the next few days. 

12z Euro is going to be a bit farther south with the snowfall for the system on Sat and Sat night because the northern stream is digging a bit more. It's all light snow. Some may reach NW AR this run with that second little band that forms.

7 minutes ago, JoMo said:

And there goes the Euro with a similar situation to the Canadian model posted above with the second system the models just 'found' this morning ^

Trends are our friends. :) I'm actually quite shocked that the models have brought this storm back. It was there at around day 15 on both at one time. I think it could be pretty interesting before all is said and done.

Archived